Input Requested on a O’Day 25 we looked at. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 Old 07-20-2016
Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: Input Requested on a O’Day 25 we looked at.

Ok, if the present owner didnt' replace the sails in the last 5 years, they are pretty much worthless.
the gelcoat crazing IS normal for a 40 year old boat... which is probably too much for most of us.

the light you are seeing in the picture is likely from the hawse pipe.

most of the other stuff that seems off is the hull liner and how its held together.''

Boat has been painted, many of us would nix the deal JUST on that.

$6000 would get you a MUCH better boat.
Hell I got a guy locally with an 1982 S2 7.9 on a trailer with a newer furler newer sails (last 5 years) and a yammie inboard, that launches in 12 inches of water that he has presently at $7500.

The age alone of this Oday would have kept it off my list and I sail a 1982 boat!

You asked our opinion...

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 07-20-2016 Thread Starter

You guys convinced me. It seems like to consenses is way overpriced... that the price should be $2,000 to 3000... most importantly if something more appears to be going on in the bow with those chips then run away fast..... Same if anything is off on the sails.

So right now I am thinking I will go back with a different friend who knows more... take a second even more through look... especially at the bow area... I figure at the least the exercise of looking in more detail would be good. The more I look the more I seem to spot next time. If I any unease I will walk away without even calling in the main person I'd have look at it. Not worth wasting their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post

It's not that much worse, just need tongue extender or a dolly and long tow strap. .. and you said you would be using a mooring.

but still you can do better. good luck!
Seems like it would be a pain to get back on the trailer? Plus we would like the flexibility to take the boat with us on a vacation stove we usually take a week or two every summer. It seems like ramp launching and recovering a fin like that twice a year would be awful.
post #23 of 42 Old 07-20-2016
One of None

we do that with 30 ft + boats at my club. NOT for the faint hearted LOL
the very first time we pulled my boat. 10yrs ago now.

2 yrs ago. It's "routine"

CJ the cost of lift and place on the trailer 2 X a year may be cheaper then the fuel of towing on longer trips.

23 and under really do travel on wheels better then 25-27 footers.

On the Hudson, the cruising area leads to much bigger and better trips too.. all the way to Maine even!
CJ_AEGIS likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-20-2016 at 12:40 PM.

post #24 of 42 Old 07-20-2016
Captain Obvious

I don't think the chips are that scary. I like the trailer, and I like the boat sort , but not the price. The finish on that boat looks really bad. I think you are being smart about the whole thing so don't let the rant that follows make you think I'm negative. I'm just trying to raise a point.

If the mooring is a long term thing, that does change things but I doubt you would move it many times.Its is an ordeal to launch and rig these things. The 22 is really on the upper end of trailer sailing, believe it or not. Beyond that, you are "moving" the boat. As in - let's move it to the water for the season. Also, with just an outboard I think you lose some of the safety factor of having a bigger boat.

You are on the right track, but with a multitude of right boats - I think its worth noting the 25 will be more likely to stay on the mooring and the 22 will be more likely to travel places on the trailer.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 07-20-2016 at 05:50 PM.
post #25 of 42 Old 07-20-2016

Boat value is very dependent on where you purchase it. Some locales may place a premium on trailer boats and you will see it reflected in the price. Out here, trailers are relatively rare so they could bump up the price by a grand or two. Do your market research! The AYBC standards in 1975 aren’t what they are today and Oday is pretty much “middle of the road” like a Catalina. So individual condition trump’s all. Old boats are like musical chairs – they will all eventually become worthless, and the objective is not be the last owner.

The Gelcote cracking is fairly common on boats of that age and is mostly cosmetic. The cracks will eventually deepen and allow moisture between the Gelcote and fiberglass, producing more costly cracks. These little cracks can be remedied with a Dremel tool and filling with little resin. They sell white resin in a little tube just for this fix. Figure on $50. One of your photos shows wire nuts to the bow lights, a big no-no. Also, tinned wire wasn’t an AYBC standard back then. Good news is it is a simple job on a boat this size. It can be between $50 and $250 depending on how far you want to re-wire. Now for the bad stuff. The light spot on the starboard side (next to the Stb bow cleat) looks like a previous repair (I think the damage was the result of some sort of anchoring mishap). There are two bigger issues here. One, it looks like the core under the decking was removed at one point. My guess is there was water intrusion around the cowl vent or hawser at one time. This is a big no-no and should be addressed. This could be the root cause of the two holes in the bow. I would pull off the rub-rail track and investigate. Depending upon your fiberglass skills, this could get spendy. Think $500 to $1k. The stem fitting is bolted to both the deck and the hull so the boat is sailable, But as I said, you don’t want to be the last owner…

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #26 of 42 Old 07-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
we do that with 30 ft + boats at my club. NOT for the faint hearted LOL
the very first time we pulled my boat. 10yrs ago now.
You are braver than me. ;-) In my experience with launching boats on this part of the Hudson I can think of only one ramp in our vicinity on the Hudson that I would even attempt an operation like that. The others for current/tide issues, poor construction, or being too shallow are far too much of a potential nightmare. Seen skegs knocked off motors, props chewed to pieces, and other mayhem at the other ramps.
post #27 of 42 Old 07-21-2016
Tartan 27' owner

@CJ_AEGIS
You should consider all the lifts they have at Nyack Boat club. Lower Hudson. TZB - watch those cranes.
If you live in Westchester, the west side of the Hudson then Croton/Ossining have some nice boating clubs.
CJ_AEGIS likes this.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 07-21-2016 at 02:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
CJ_AEGIS (07-21-2016)
post #28 of 42 Old 07-21-2016
Captain Obvious

This looks like a killer deal and although its not a swing keel, it is a 22 footer. My dock mate has one of these and it seems much better built than my Catalina.

Tanzer 22 sailboat with trailer-Reduced

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #29 of 42 Old 07-21-2016
One of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_AEGIS View Post
You are braver than me. ;-) In my experience with launching boats on this part of the Hudson I can think of only one ramp in our vicinity on the Hudson that I would even attempt an operation like that. The others for current/tide issues, poor construction, or being too shallow are far too much of a potential nightmare. Seen skegs knocked off motors, props chewed to pieces, and other mayhem at the other ramps.
At a YC every one helped and we always launch on high tide, here it runs around 6 ft.

One more time I'LL say a 25 ft boat is not easy to riig, derig and travel with
CJ_AEGIS likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #30 of 42 Old 07-21-2016
Above 5 knots

Dock

Quote:
At a YC every one helped and we always launch on high tide, here it runs around 6 ft.

One more time I'LL say a 25 ft boat is not easy to riig, derig and travel with
Might be OK with a 26 footer then....
I rig my 26 foot myself, and launch myself. Its also a simple single upper/lower, so its remove the forestay, and drop the mast. It also has a single pin for the bottom of the mast, that is rounded. Its about as easy as a 26 footer can be... but the mast is still a lot to raise alone. 2 people are better.

Still takes about 2 hours at a leisurely pace to launch/rig.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in