1975 Gulfstar 50 hull material?? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 10-07-2016
Dirt Free

Re: 1975 Gulfstar 50 hull material??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
That's not a survey ..... it's an inventory !

Must be a hellofalot of pages missing !
Faster likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 10-07-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 10-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
That's not a survey ..... it's an inventory !

Must be a hellofalot of pages missing !
I've never seen one, but I'm guessing that is an insurance survey, not a pre-purchase survey which would be far more detailed.
post #13 of 36 Old 10-07-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
I've never seen one, but I'm guessing that is an insurance survey, not a pre-purchase survey which would be far more detailed.
It says on the front page that it is a Condition and Valuation Survey which should include a complete description of every system on the vessel and a detailed list of issues.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

post #14 of 36 Old 10-07-2016

He said in the survey that none of the systems or the engine was operated. I'm guessing it was never put in the water. A full pre-purchase survey has to be done both in and out of the water. My survey from this guy was way more intensive. He did in and out of the water and sea trial.
post #15 of 36 Old 10-07-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
He said in the survey that none of the systems or the engine was operated. I'm guessing it was never put in the water. A full pre-purchase survey has to be done both in and out of the water. My survey from this guy was way more intensive. He did in and out of the water and sea trial.
Hence my suggestion that there must be many pages missing. As the surveyor is also a SAMS member it should be noted that the pages are not numbered as required by SAMS. Looks like someone may have edited this pretty heavily before posting it.

On the next rainy, cool night when you have nothing else to do you may find the Sample Marine Survey Reports on my website somewhat entertaining.

post #16 of 36 Old 10-07-2016

Not saying that there aren't pages missing, but how can you have a full survey when the boat isn't even put in the water or any systems are operated including the engine.
post #17 of 36 Old 10-07-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
Not saying that there aren't pages missing, but how can you have a full survey when the boat isn't even put in the water or any systems are operated including the engine.
There are hundreds of items to be checked and reported on before running anything or testing anything in water. In fact 90% of the inspection is done under those conditions.

post #18 of 36 Old 10-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Cruising View Post

I am looking to buy one for a super great price, but I won't be able to see it before I buy it.
Then don't.
Skipper Jer likes this.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #19 of 36 Old 10-07-2016

Old salt friend of mine working in boat yards and doing boat deliveries all his life calls them Goofstars....not a boat you want to buy for next to nothing without seeing it.

~Chris

All sailors are cruisers, but not all cruisers are sailors. A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also try:

(it's new!)
post #20 of 36 Old 10-07-2016

The problem of buying a boat unseen is that there may be one or more things that make it not feasible or worth repairing. If that is the case you are then responsible to berth, moor or store the boat until you figure out how to dispose of it. If you just anchor it out and it blows up on the beach you will be responsible for the clean up and disposal of the boat.

In the case of a 50 foot boat you are not just risking the cost of the "great deal price" up front, you might be on the hook for 10s of thousands of disposal costs later.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in