Seeking suggestions for small cruiser - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 10-20-2016

There are so many boats that meet your criteria, I can't even single one out to recommend. I guess your toughest criteria is going to be the diesel.

It's nice you have a $20k (I'm assuming that's Canadian) budget. You won't have any trouble finding a boat that meets your criteria for that.

Most any 28' or even 26' boat will have a pilot birth, fold down dinette and V-Birth, a couple of dudes will likely have to share one of the double racks.

With your budget of $20k, one item I wouldn't mess around with is a good powerful engine, that might be the most important part. Those 8 knot tidal currents in the south channel out of Quebec City are no joke. Even 2-3 knot currents around me in Iroquois and Morisburg areas can be pretty slow to make any speed against.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
Marinero2016 (10-21-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 10-21-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Seeking suggestions for small cruiser

Barry,
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Now I have an idea what to look for. Have a good one!

Marinero
post #13 of 20 Old 10-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel1 View Post
While your shopping, be sure to look at the Ericsons . . . great build quality, nice interiors, good looking . . and of course they come in all sizes . .
Thanks, I will check those out as well.

post #14 of 20 Old 10-21-2016

Try www.sailquest.com
It has a section, "used sailboat market in Canada" it's broken down into size ranges. I see at least a half dozen well built Canadian models there with deisel engines that fit your criteria.

If I was to pick some off the list for myself, I'd look at Nonsuch 26, Aloha 27, Tanzer 28, Ontario 28 and CS 27. All are solid boats that came standard with diesel engines.

If you want something smaller, the Bayfield 25 is a sturdy boat with a diesel, but idk about 4 dudes on one.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-21-2016

The more seaworthy a boat the less space there tends to be down below for a few reasons. As a rule narrow and heavy= seaworthy. Also there is more structure to make the boat seaworthy. There might be lots of storage for its relative size in a seaworthy boat but fewer bunks. I can't imagine more than two persons sharing an under 30' seaworthy boat, but I am old and set in my ways.
jwing likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-21-2016

Two years ago I was looking for a boat such as you suggest, and ended up with an Albin Vega. See:
Albin Vega Cruising Yacht Review
and
The Albin Vega 27 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
Given Jarle Andhoey's voyage to Antarctica in one Vega, and Matt Rutherford's nonstop circumnavigation of North & South America in another, it's a boat that has proven its seaworthiness.
There are not huge numbers of these around in North America, but they do show up. One that was recently posted for sale in Rhode Island is here:
1973 albin Vega sailboat for sale in Rhode Island
In terms of either criteria you've mentioned:
Crew size: A Vega would be fine for 2, and you could probably manage 3 if the passages weren't long and someone was on deck on watch. I think 4 would be very difficult. Always there are exceptions, depending on the personal qualities of the individuals in the crew and their interactions...
Almost all have tiller not wheel
You can find them in decent shape for US$ 10K to 15K--and spend the rest of your budget on what needs fixing
Engine: Most of them have been repowered. Like mine, the one in the linked ad has a Yanmar 2GM diesel that should put out 18 hp--plenty for a boat that displaces a bit over 5000 lbs
I can't offer comparisons to other boats that would also do well.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-25-2016
Cruising the islands

Send a message via Skype™ to Ruudco

I am looking for a partner to invest in sailboat for east coast and carribean.......let me know if interested....
post #18 of 20 Old 10-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagle View Post
Two years ago I was looking for a boat such as you suggest, and ended up with an Albin Vega. See:
Albin Vega Cruising Yacht Review
and
The Albin Vega 27 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
Given Jarle Andhoey's voyage to Antarctica in one Vega, and Matt Rutherford's nonstop circumnavigation of North & South America in another, it's a boat that has proven its seaworthiness.
There are not huge numbers of these around in North America, but they do show up. One that was recently posted for sale in Rhode Island is here:
1973 albin Vega sailboat for sale in Rhode Island
In terms of either criteria you've mentioned:
Crew size: A Vega would be fine for 2, and you could probably manage 3 if the passages weren't long and someone was on deck on watch. I think 4 would be very difficult. Always there are exceptions, depending on the personal qualities of the individuals in the crew and their interactions...
Almost all have tiller not wheel
You can find them in decent shape for US$ 10K to 15K--and spend the rest of your budget on what needs fixing
Engine: Most of them have been repowered. Like mine, the one in the linked ad has a Yanmar 2GM diesel that should put out 18 hp--plenty for a boat that displaces a bit over 5000 lbs
I can't offer comparisons to other boats that would also do well.
OldEagle, you beat me to it! We too decided on an Albin Vega. Dollar for dollar, I can't imagine getting more in a boat of this size range.

Our qualifications were light weight (had to at least be legally trailerable), affordable, shallow draft for Florida and the Caribbean, blue water capable, and tiller steering (wheels have no business whatsoever on boats this size, IMO). Standing headroom for me was a huge plus (I'm 5' 10"), but be aware that earlier Vegas prior to '76-'77 or thereabouts have less headroom than later ones. We were incredibly lucky to find hull #3360, one of the last ever built.

Another big selling point in Vegas is that there is very little wood coring in them (none at all, in later models). So dealing with rotten cores is highly unlikely, even in a neglected boat (is there any other kind??)
post #19 of 20 Old 10-25-2016
Administrator

I would also strongly suggest the Tartan 27 (Mark 1). Their shoal draft will come in handy on the US East Coast. Their high quality construction and overall sailing ability are major assets. As others have noted, wheel steering has no place on a boat that is less than 30 feet (especially if going offshore) and frankly offer no advantage until the boat approaches 35 or so feet in length.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #20 of 20 Old 10-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Try sailquest.com
If I was to pick some off the list for myself, I'd look at Nonsuch 26, Aloha 27, Tanzer 28, Ontario 28 and CS 27. All are solid boats that came standard with diesel engines.

If you want something smaller, the Bayfield 25 is a sturdy boat with a diesel, but idk about 4 dudes on one.
I really like the Nonsuch 26 and once considered buying one. But I liked the Nonsuch 30 even better. These boats look very liveable in a coastal situation, but there are some issues with the wide main cabin and large cockpit when offshore is nasty conditions: you can get thown pretty far before fetching up and the cockpit will hold more water when pooped (safety issue.)

When we upsized from our 18' catboat, we went to a 35' sloop, which we've had for 20 years now. At first it felt like the Titanic, by comparison to our 18 footer, but after several years is didn't seem so big and even though we have squeezed 6 people in it for a weekend, 3-4 would be a practical maximum for longer cruises. You really need to consider storage, too, as others have mentioned.

That said, you might consider 30' a minimum if you intend to spend a lot of time cruising. I'd add Cape Dory to this list. If you are going to be off on your own for a long time, refrigeration wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in