What size boat to learn to sail solo? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 Old 12-09-2016

Re: What size boat to learn to sail solo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
This. Amazed at how many times I crew for others that know their boat systems, but suck at basic sail trim. Motor much more than they should.
Yep, on the bareboat charters I've done, we dropped the sails and fired up the engine whenever the situation got challenging. I think that's a prudent strategy for bareboat cruisers.

However, challenging situations often involve more than one challenge at a time. If one of the simultaneous challenges is a malfunctioning engine, then the sailor needs to sail out of the other challenging situation. Big boats are not so good at giving feedback to a sailor until it's too late in tight situations. That's why I bought a small boat to really learn the art of sailing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 12-09-2016
Barquito

Quote:
Yep, on the bareboat charters I've done, we dropped the sails and fired up the engine whenever the situation got challenging. I think that's a prudent strategy for bareboat cruisers.
OTOH, maybe that is also a good chance to strap on the barf buckets and thrash a boat you don't own!
Minnesail likes this.

Valiant 32
post #33 of 36 Old 12-09-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
I highly doubt that you will get a bank loan for the type of boat you are looking for (older, used, and 'diamond in the rough').

An older boat really is worthless to anyone but the owner and prospective buyer.

To put the shoe on the other foot, imagine if someone wanted you to loan them money for a horse. It might be an expensive and very nice horse, but if they stop paying and you get the horse... what then?

Good luck!

Ken
Essex Credit gives loans for older boats, they just have a 30% down-payment requirement for anything older than 1995

post #34 of 36 Old 12-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
This. Amazed at how many times I crew for others that know their boat systems, but suck at basic sail trim. Motor much more than they should.
I am surprised when I sail with others that own a boat that neither know how to sail or about the boat's systems. I was once out on a boat that got befogged and the owner did not know how to sail in those conditions nor knew how to use his GPS or radar.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 36 Old 12-09-2016 Thread Starter

After researching what's currently available, I really like the cape dory. There are 2 for sale right now, one 33 1987 and one 1978 28'

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/5904154696.html

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/boa/5899570491.html

post #36 of 36 Old 12-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
OTOH, maybe that is also a good chance to strap on the barf buckets and thrash a boat you don't own!
Yeah! My life would be so much easier if I was an a-hole without a conscience.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in