Best Country to Buy 40 foot Ocean Sailboat in the Mediterranean - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-10-2016 Thread Starter

Best Country to Buy 40 foot Ocean Sailboat in the Mediterranean

I am looking to buy an approximately 40 foot sailboat to sail in the med and then store the boat in the Canaries for fall and winter until taking it to the US after hurricane season. Can someone recommend a good country / city to find the best deals? Thanks!

Last edited by pnwryan; 12-11-2016 at 10:13 PM. Reason: re-type
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-10-2016

Re: Best Country to Buy 40 foot Ocean Sailboat in the Mediterranean

Across the Atlantic. In August. At the peak of hurricane season.

I suggest you rethink this.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #3 of 12 Old 12-11-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Perceived wisdom is that Greece is a good source for cheap boats. But beware of the totally f*****d up ex charter boats,

post #4 of 12 Old 12-11-2016

Id look for the country with the 'best' $US to 'local black market' conversion rates. Such would be the equivalent to the situation in the USA during ~2009-10 wherein the euro's value far exceeded the value of the $US .... and wherein the europeans were actively 'scooping up' high quality vessels in the USA.
The monetary/currency value tables have turned especially with the near and possible impending (expected?) collapse of the € (and possibly the ¥, $CDN, etc.), possibly resulting in some severe 'bargains' due to trending currency/monetary value differences.

A key indicator would be the various hedge fund investments ('bets') in and against various currencies. If you have a 'money manager' that person should be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by RichH; 12-11-2016 at 11:33 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-11-2016

The prices all over Mediteranean area are more or less equal for the same boat. There are a lot of charter boats in Greece and Croatia. In my opinion it is best to buy the boat from the country you are planning to start your journey. Mediterranean is not a small sea.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-11-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. An interesting point RichH, ha, not a great thing to hope for but would definitely help me out.

Youre right amwbox. I have been throwing various ideas around in my head and had a mental lapse. Even edited the original post. Thanks for the reminder.
amwbox likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-12-2016
Full time cruiser

Most will be excharter boats I would bet but there may be a few non charter available. But try to find a charter company that may be a bit smaller and takes better care of their boats. We have seen a few - a couple of big ones just turn them quickly making semi repairs just to get them out and the charterer had to call for help - we have seen others that take their time and do a good job of keeping boats in great shape. One such company is EuroMarine in Dubrovnik -

But why rush to the Carib - there is so much to see in the Med - we have been here for 3 years and wow - will probably spend at least one more or maybe 2 before returning back.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
post #8 of 12 Old 12-12-2016

Interesting thread, I was told recently that there was good deals on boats in Europe. My price search did not bear this out or at least not enough to rationalize the effort of sailing it across an ocean unless you wanted to start a cruise in a particular place. If you are willing to start a European boat search, I would think it would be a better idea to look for the boat you want and go to that boat, as opposed to going to a country to try to find a boat you want.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwryan View Post
Thanks for the replies. An interesting point RichH, ha, not a great thing to hope for but would definitely help me out.
In the EU, offered prices are only the 'starting point' in negotiations of sale. Haggling is a developed fine art in the EU and most of the rest of the globe, unlike N. America where most think the offered sale price is 'fixed in stone'.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-12-2016 Thread Starter

Originally I had been looking at buying a boat on the East Coast of the US and sailing it to the MED then selling it there. Between VAT and, from what I have read, buyers market I have been reconsidering that idea and doing the exact opposite.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in