Advice on Beneteau 473 looking to purchase - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 12-18-2016
Administrator

Re: Advice on Beneteau 473 looking to purchase

I would emphatically say run, don't walk the opposite direction. In recent years there has been a lot of study of boats which have lost their keels or almost lost keels. One of the preliminary findings is that by the time that internal framing has been visibly damaged, there is likely to be large scale delamination in the hull surrounding the framing.

The delamination is hard to detect in a survey since it is often confined to the area closely surrounding and above the keel. But this delamination is thought to be the primary failure mode or major contributing factors in these keel loss cases.

To repair this properly, the ballast keel needs to be removed and the bottom of the boat carefully surveyed for delamination. If delamination is found an area of the bottom of the boat needs to be cut away and then a new section of the hull laminated. Similarly the hull framing would need to be cut away and new frames constructed.

This is a huge operation that is very costly. Few boatyards can do this kind of work to an acceptable quality.

I would also like to comment that there is very little relationship between the way that Cheeky Rafiki was constructed and the way that a 473 is built. Cheeky was a First 40.7 and these were heavily engineered racer-cruisers. That meant that there was theoretically a smaller safety factor, but it also meant that there was much higher care given in the layup and testing. This included much better materials and much more sophisticated laminating techniques. In other words, despite being engineered to a smaller safely factor, in practice this should have resulted in a relatively stronger and more reliable construction.

The report on Cheeky's keel loss included internal testing data that was specifically done on each 40.7 including Cheeky. That level of care was not given to the 'number series' at Beneteau. In other words Cheeky began life as a much better built boat than the 473's. But it also gets to the point that any boat which has had enough damage to crack internal framing needs to be treated as very suspect.

Jeff
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 12-18-2016 at 09:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
timangiel (12-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 12-18-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
There are no real "deals" on Yachtworld.
I'd have to disagree with this, wholeheartedly. I found this boat on YW and watched her for a couple of years. Price remained steady even as the market was dropping. When I was ready to purchase, July 2009, I did my research and went to do a deal. Found out the owner had been in a motorcycle accident and had lost a leg, virtually ending his yachting days. Offered 2/3 of posted price and remained firm. Owner accepted after a bit of whining.
YW is a great place to watch and price boats, but the asking price is in no way what one has to pay for many boats. Do your research and go into the deal with cash in hand and you'd be surprised how much one can save.
Jeff_H and MarkofSeaLife like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 17 Old 12-18-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'd have to disagree with this, wholeheartedly.
YW is a great place to watch and price boats, but the asking price is in no way what one has to pay for many boats. Do your research and go into the deal with cash in hand and you'd be surprised how much one can save.
Capta, I agree with you entirely. I have literally been involved in dozens of boat purchases off YW and if you do your homework and watch specific boats carefully, there can be fabulous deals on YW.

Jeff
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #14 of 17 Old 12-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanM2016 View Post
Thanks all. All great points. Everyone's opinion really helped us to decide that we aren't going to pay for it to be surveyed and thus pass on it.
While not new to sailing, we are new to the SailNet community....so looking forward to "virtually" meeting everyone.
PS: educate me on how to find those deals locally?!
How to find deals locally in my experience

1 - Sailing and Yacht Clubs...they have newsletters with classifieds in the back. Be on the lookout for the "Three Ds". Death, Divorce, Disease. You will develop a reputation as a bottom feeder and/or vulture

2 - Go to the nearest DIY boat yard or a yard known for cheaper storage. Look for boats that the owner seems to just have lost interest in. Either projects that are pretty far along (money already spent) or boats that are newer that are just sitting there. May a lowball offer and see what sticks.

3 - I hate putting this, but sometimes Craiglist or eBay. But dont buy sight unseen, *EVER*. In a purely academic sense, eBay (time limited blind auction) is really establishing the market price for any given boat. But there just isn't enough volume there for yachts to come up with fair market value pricing. I use eBay to market price out all sorts of other things that are sold in higher volume like used boat bits and other stuff you buy used in life.

The *best* deals in my opinion are older model boats in bristol condition boats maintained by open wallet captains that are looking to get out (Three Ds above or ready to move on/up)

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343

Last edited by night0wl; 12-18-2016 at 12:42 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'd have to disagree with this, wholeheartedly. I found this boat on YW and watched her for a couple of years. Price remained steady even as the market was dropping. When I was ready to purchase, July 2009, I did my research and went to do a deal. Found out the owner had been in a motorcycle accident and had lost a leg, virtually ending his yachting days. Offered 2/3 of posted price and remained firm. Owner accepted after a bit of whining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Capta, I agree with you entirely. I have literally been involved in dozens of boat purchases off YW and if you do your homework and watch specific boats carefully, there can be fabulous deals on YW.

Jeff
how is capta's situation a deal?? In a dropping market, owner was over priced. Then offered 2/3rds below posted price. While the details on what the market price then or may have been are sparse here, I'd be willing to bet that it wasn't some spectacular amount below the what the past several closings have been when true apples for apples were accounted for. If the owner's not using the boat, I'd contend he likely wasn't maintaining it in bristol condition like some active owners. Maybe the owner took a bath, but there's that 10% commission you have to contend with in broker listed boats on yachtworld (and yes, I understand that its variable). The best deals to me are done mano-a-mano without the easy browsing and high-res pictures of yacthworld.

JeffH- respect your contributions tremendously...but I hold to my guns. There may be good deals on Yachtworld, but the best ones wont be there.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343

Last edited by night0wl; 12-18-2016 at 12:32 PM.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-18-2016

Dock

I agree best deals are local.

But few have access to them.
Some marine trader will hear about them well before you.

And the OP can't operate locally: if he's after a 47ft cruiser, modern, he has to spread himself wide, even internationally.

Beneteau 473's are one of the best, if not THE best long range cruising boats for a couple in that price range. The 2 cabin version is outstanding. Storage space unbelievable. I would certainly upgrade to one.
They are often on the market and I bet there's quite a few in the USA alone... but that doesn't mean tbetes one in each marina, there may only be a few in each state.

So, yes, a local may do great local deals but in different parameters than "usual" folks looking for a boat.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #17 of 17 Old 12-18-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
how is capta's situation a deal?? In a dropping market, owner was over priced. Then offered 2/3rds below posted price. While the details on what the market price then or may have been are sparse here, I'd be willing to bet that it wasn't some spectacular amount below the what the past several closings have been when true apples for apples were accounted for. If the owner's not using the boat, I'd contend he likely wasn't maintaining it in bristol condition like some active owners. Maybe the owner took a bath, but there's that 10% commission you have to contend with in broker listed boats on yachtworld (and yes, I understand that its variable). The best deals to me are done mano-a-mano without the easy browsing and high-res pictures of yacthworld..
She was yard maintained and hauled/covered every year for the winter. That makes a 30 year old boat more like 15 if properly cared for, wouldn't you say? Lovingly owned by the owner for 18 years with impeccable records kept by both owner and yard. Bristol condition? Nope. Few can afford those boats as the owners usually over-value them terribly YW or not. But she was equally priced with three other 530's at that time. And better equipped w/electric RF and winches, new dodger/bimini, 30 hours on main engine, etc. Last one I saw sold, sold for nearly 75k more than I paid.
Personally, when buying boats, I just don't have the time or inclination to travel over three states searching every yard and marina just to save a few grand on a boat. You could certainly spend a lot more than you'd save running all over, time wise and money wise, than you'd ever save. Better to use the services of YW or similar with world wide references, watching things for a time, and know when to go visit a vessel that appeals to you, adequately prepared. By the way, the owner pays the broker's fee, not the buyer, so it's not something a buyer must contend with. Sale price is sale price, right?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in