Advice on Beneteau 473 looking to purchase - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-17-2016 Thread Starter

Advice on Beneteau 473 looking to purchase

Ladies and Gents:

I am looking for some feedback on the attached pictures. Would be super appreciative of your feedback before we choose to go down the path of a full survey. She is a mid 2000 Beneteau 473 in very good condition with many of the additions we are looking for. However, upon my initial inspection I found some cracks to the grid beneath the floor panels near the keel. The boat was in charter and the owner states he was never made aware of a grounding; however seems quite clear something occurred. I've done my best to capture various angles on multiple bolts and the liner leading up and beyond. I appreciate seeing and giving some advice through these pictures is hard, but your feedback is valuable at this time than me moving straight into a survey.

Thanks much all,
Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
6695ABF1-529D-4BEC-8797-CF8AB82FEB0D.jpg   889C1A18-C8E5-4AAA-BF68-9515896E104C.jpg   552C331C-354D-481E-805A-A3D3FBCF7FB3.jpg   544ED717-5975-493F-A4E6-7F41A12784CA.jpg   34B057D4-D0F5-4C7D-8801-BD599F75A02C.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-17-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Advice on Beneteau 473 looking to purchase

here are a few more pics. Thanks for the guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
F7C693DF-350A-4EDF-8E66-9133A1928C82.jpg   F0E24612-F929-4E62-936A-88A0BB257FDF.jpg   DB9189CF-5225-48AB-9873-92C2E94AE1F5.jpg   439183DA-6A20-44A9-8DA6-362CB95850EC.jpg   12348470-C9FC-4632-8C10-8A6475DFF0AD.jpg  

post #3 of 17 Old 12-18-2016
Master Mariner

It could be poor workmanship in the original layup or the bareboat company didn't have a very good glass man to cover up some damage. Get it surveyed!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 17 Old 12-18-2016

Given the Cheeki Rafiki incident, I would *RUN* away from any boat that any possibility of a grounding in its history unless it was fully checked out and repaired. Especially those that have been in heavy charter. Even if the damage has been disclosed and repaired, I'd demand to see reports verifying structural integrity - and those tests are not cheap. I believe ultrasounds and Professional Engineers are involved. No hyperbole - you and your family's lives are at stake.

As for the seller saying its never been grounded in charter...thats just hogwash. There are unscrupulous people that rent boats. They don't/won't disclose the damage they've done to the boat when they return it to base. And if the owners check in procedure isn't thorough enough to catch this until several weeks or months after a charter, well who will the owner "charge" for the repair?

Hulls, liners and grids don't mysteriously crack on their own. There are either workmanship issues with this boats layup or this boat has been grounded.

You have picked a great boat *model*, but the wrong boat, IMHO.

The 473 (and the entire xx3 line of Beneteau's) was one of the last lines that had a more traditional looking lines from Beneteau. Interiors were still somewhat traditional too, not to Euro/IKEA inside and not super "over engineered" with things like movable interior bulkheads for multipurpose sailing or complicated electrical panels that are more form than function. Lots of equipment of standard sizes from major manufacturers - Lewmar mostly. They actually had toe aluminum toe-rails and just enough teak to be mainteance chore (but I suspect yours being ex-charter, no teak and lots of cabins and heads). This is a great long distance cruising boat and prices have really dropped on them as they're now coming up 10 year refits.

What kind of sailing do you intend to do?
MarkofSeaLife and BryanM2016 like this.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343

Last edited by night0wl; 12-18-2016 at 07:18 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-18-2016

Dock

I would not waste money on a survey. Look at another boat.

The moment the surveyor came on board my prospective B 393 he told me and my GF to gather around the Saloon and said before he popped up the floor board told us what he was looking for: cracks around the grid near the keel bolts that would indicate a hard grounding. If he found those cracks he would tell us to catch to first bus outta town.
My anxiety level shot up as we crowded close as with flair he dramatically lifted the floorboard...
All clear!!
Yay, we heaved a sigh of relief and the surveyor moved on.

He described exactly the same cracks as you have.

Sorry. But catch that Greyhound.

Mark
sailingfool likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 17 Old 12-18-2016

It's impossible to give reliable input from a pic. The one that got my attention the most, is the bolt head with some sort of goop all over it and staining around the backing plate. Makes me think she's leaking and maintenance was half-assed, which would imply the keel bedding was compromised.

If the hull is solid glass, this may be fully repairable, but at substantial cost to drop and re-bed the keel and re-glass the ribs/stringers. If she has a cored hull, I'm just guessing this a major problem.

My usual advice for suspect boats is to walk. There are thousands of others that aren't. If she's truly unique, you just have to buy her cheap enough to be able to do the repair and still be all-in for much less than the going price of the same boat, without a major damage history. If you can get it cheaply, fix it thoroughly, and then sell it cheaply, it can work. The seller, however, rarely agrees. They just wait for a sucker.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-18-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
, which would imply the keel bedding was compromised.

If the hull is solid glass,

My usual advice for suspect boats is to walk. There are thousands of others that aren't. If she's truly unique,
Yes, all Bene's are solid core

Unique!? She's a 473. There's hundreds out there. Superb cruising boat! There will be many, many better ones on the market.

3 additional points:
Resale value will be v low as soon as anyone sees this and/or the repairs.
You will never be confident at sea... Cheeky Refeeky
I bet this is the lowest priced 473 by a long shot on YachtWorld. Eh?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #8 of 17 Old 12-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Yes, all Bene's are solid core

I bet this is the lowest priced 473 by a long shot on YachtWorld. Eh?
A point to add on this. Even if she's the cheapest on yachtworld by a mile...you're still going to pay MARKET price. The price reflects the cost to do the repairs. There are no real "deals" on Yachtworld. Have to hustle to find those locally!

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #9 of 17 Old 12-18-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Personally I would pass on that one and keep looking. Lots of 473s around.

I would say that those cracks are serious and structural not cosmetic.

A good glass man could fix it by grinding out, filling then adding some reinforcement. But a good repair will be obvious so will always raise questions if you try to sell it.

Last edited by TQA; 12-18-2016 at 08:34 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-18-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks all. All great points. Everyone's opinion really helped us to decide that we aren't going to pay for it to be surveyed and thus pass on it.
While not new to sailing, we are new to the SailNet community....so looking forward to "virtually" meeting everyone.
PS: educate me on how to find those deals locally?!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in