Buying my first boat - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 01-02-2017 Thread Starter
Sail la vie

Buying my first boat

Whaz appppp. Im new to the whole idea of sailing and wanted to pick a few brains about buying a boat, living in one (short term/long term), and the truth about traveling the world. i would prefer experienced sailors but i am open to all ideas, being a newbie to all of this. i always dreamed of the ocean and living on or near it but never really saw it to be a possibility until i found Riley and Elayna on youtube Sailing La Vagabonde. they changed my whole aspect on life. but anyways I've been looking at boats for a few weeks now and found one that i really liked that was relatively cheap. i do understand that there will need to be repairs but not sure how much i am looking at. also as far as maintenance on a boat such as this one what would i be looking at. i am more than willing to learn how to take care of it and make repairs myself if that will save some change. would this be a good boat to start with or am i looking at a big money pit. I'm a pretty minimalist guy and don't care much about cool features so any info would help a ton. THANK YOUUUU!!!

... well apparently i can't post links until i have 10 or more posts, basically if you look up 1979 island trader ketch on sailboat listings dot com thats the boat i am looking at. heres a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails
01030b85d832c7575f21a4b52c4712946472a39fb7.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-02-2017
Master Mariner

Re: Buying my first boat

Not to be rude, but I've contributed answers to this question so many times I'm really quite tired of typing it over and over again. You might want to do a site search as this topic comes up almost weekly. There is already so much good information, from so many knowledgeable contributors, on here about this subject.
olson34 likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 36 Old 01-02-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Here's the link:

1979 Island Trader Ketch sailboat for sale in Outside United States

My opinion: That's a lot of boat for someone who has never sailed or maintained a boat before. You have to ask why it's so inexpensive. You did read the part where the engine has to be installed? Having repowered our boat, that ain't cheap.

From the listing:

Items to be addressed:

1. needs engine (There is NO engine)

2. Rigging needs to be updated

3, Dodger/Bimini need to be repaired

4. dingy davits fully functional but needs weld aft cross bar

5. bottom job

That said, any boat, new or old, is a money pit and I'm willing to bet the actual "items to be addressed" list is 5X what is listed. At least.

Personally, before investing this much money in just the boat itself, I'd want to learn to sail first. Your costs won't stop once everything is "fixed."

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

post #4 of 36 Old 01-02-2017

Listing

First, find an ASA sailing school and take the beginning sailing courses. Learn to sail.

Then, buy books and spend a year reading and getting over the romantic vision presented by Youtube's perfect 10 sailor gal and her mustachioed sidekick. Then, look into your first boat.

That boat for example is located in an expensive foreign port, is nearing 40 years old, and needs what could very well be a 6-figure refit. There isn't even an engine installed, and the rigging and possibly spars need replacement. Even if the engine the owner says he's found is brand new and amazing, paying BVI prices to have it installed will set you back many thousands all by itself. To say nothing the rest of the systems. Judging by the panel, I'm betting the electrical system is a nightmare as well. Almost always the case on these boats. Old boats are fine if you want to tie up in the marina and start doing a refit, maybe even get your feet wet with living aboard as you work (or maybe you're rich and can just kick back and start writing large checks)...but a massive, full keeled, blue water ketch is not what you want to learn how to sail on. That boat is going to be nearly 30,000 lbs, and will not be easily maneuvered, docked, etc., or well sailed in light winds. It would do well offshore in a breeze, I bet, but the rest of the time...rough for a beginner. Real rough.

Take classes. Read books. See if it's for you before you get under a big old boat and an expensive refit.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #5 of 36 Old 01-02-2017 Thread Starter
Sail la vie

wow, thanks for giving me a well needed slap in the face. realistically speaking can i buy a boat and have it ready to sail long distance for under $10,000-$15,000 or should i wait it out and save some more money to buy a nice reliable boat. yes i do plan on getting my feet wet soon but I'm just trying to work things out and learn from the experienced. Thanks
post #6 of 36 Old 01-02-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxamilliano View Post
wow, thanks for giving me a well needed slap in the face. realistically speaking can i buy a boat and have it ready to sail long distance for under $10,000-$15,000 or should i wait it out and save some more money to buy a nice reliable boat. yes i do plan on getting my feet wet soon but I'm just trying to work things out and learn from the experienced. Thanks
Keep saving your money. Plop it into a CD or something. Spend $40 of it and join a local sailing club and get on other people's boats where you'll learn more and be able to ask good questions. At this point you don't know enough to know what to ask. Your question is way, way too broad. There are a crapload of boats out there and only a fraction can do what you want. Fewer still when you add in doing it safely. Probably almost none within that budget (sail ready to take you long distance).

At worse if you save and wait, you'll have more money to put towards a better boat that by that time you'll know how to sail and have a better idea of the maintenance involved.

Of course, if you hang around here long enough someone will tell you to go down to the USVI and just buy Tantara and figure it out as you go along.
jwing likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #7 of 36 Old 01-02-2017
Irrationally Exuberant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxamilliano View Post
wow, thanks for giving me a well needed slap in the face. realistically speaking can i buy a boat and have it ready to sail long distance for under $10,000-$15,000...?
Realistically, that's pretty close to a hard No. What you can about do in that range is get a boat that you can sail locally--coastal cruising--while you learn to sail and take care of a sailboat. If you do that a bit, you'll know a lot more about your true desires and tolerances and what kind of boat you want and need for your long distance future.

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
post #8 of 36 Old 01-02-2017 Thread Starter
Sail la vie

ok, sounds good. guess i was just getting too ahead of myself. things are moving fast in my life so i when the idea popped up i guess it was like a thing i have to do now, but now i understand. thanks for the help and hopefully i will be back in a few years with some more knowledge and more money hopefully to get started.
post #9 of 36 Old 01-02-2017

Max,

Man I don't want to discourage you off your dream, but that boat is likely to cost 5 to 10X the purchase price to get it working, and and a few grand a year to keep it sailing.

Here's what I'd do. Take that same money, or less, and find a local boat say 22-28', sailed well and recently by a knowledgable owner, maybe not cosmetically good but structurally and mechanically sound. Buy that and do some local sailing. Do some cruising. Start close by and extend your range. See how you like it. I'm hoping you will. Fix it up. Learn what it costs to operate a boat the way you want to, and have some fun. Do that for a couple of years. If after that you want to buy a bigger project boat, have at it, or maybe you'll be adventurous enough to extended cruise on a smaller boat....either way you'll know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

Don't get discouraged. Get out there somehow. Many of us have seen lots of dreams shattered when people bought older, broken down boats and didn't understand what it takes to fix and operate....or even if they could afford this hadn't really understood what the dream was really like.

Good luck!
jwing likes this.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-02-2017
Irrationally Exuberant

I hope you won't be discouraged! But judging by the looks of the fairly late model Beneteau La Vagabonde, those guys had way more $ in their boat than you're talking about. Still, the buy a boat, sail around the world plan has indeed been done! But the more prep and skill you can bring the better. We all need luck sometimes but it's best not to depend on it all the time.

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in