Online boat shopping - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Online boat shopping

Water under the bridge now, but perhaps you should have found a 'buyer's' broker to watch out for your interests. Even with over 4+ decades of boating experience, I hired someone to help find the right boat. The only thing it cost me was lunch and a ride from JFK and back (he flew from Michigan) as he took his cut from the seller. He'd even spend a few winters in the Caribbean sailing on a 530, so he had lots of good input.
I am completely mystified by those who come into this industry with little or no actual practical knowledge or experience and dump a bunch of money into a vessel almost blindly.
Not all brokers are rip off artists and with the internet today it should be fairly easy to weed out the good from the bad, but again, that may take some time and effort which so many seem unwilling to invest.
Anyway, I wish you luck with your 530 and I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours. They are pretty incredible sailing vessels. Hardly a day under sail goes by that I don't say a nice word in memory of Wm. Shaw for his great design.
SanderO likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Congrats on your new boat, they are solid and nice

Unrealistic to blame everything you are finding wrong on the boat on the agent. It’s your responsibility to do your own due diligence.

The expectation of finding a boat that vintage to sail away without issues is unrealistic. You are now like many of us...constantly fixing and upgrading ....just like owning a house.

Good luck...you got a nice stable plTform to start with.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomte View Post
Well, here we are, new owners of a 1983 Pearson 530 and boy did I get bamboozled by the two brokers and the surveyor. Took possession on August 29, stripped her down over three days in prep of Dorian and have been working 8 hrs. a day, 6 days a
week just finding and fixin sh*t.
Welcome to normal boat life. Or at least big boat life. We recently bought a boat. I am very experienced and knowledgeable in pretty much every single aspect of boats - electrical, electronics, plumbing, fiberglass, rigging, structural design - everything. In deciding on the purchase, we had 3 full days on the boat, on the hard, by ourselves, to run through every system in detail. We had it surveyed. We then spent two days going through it again with the owners. Then we bought it.

I have been working 8hrs a day, 7 days a week just finding and fixing sh*t....

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Welcome to normal boat life. Or at least big boat life. We recently bought a boat. I am very experienced and knowledgeable in pretty much every single aspect of boats - electrical, electronics, plumbing, fiberglass, rigging, structural design - everything. In deciding on the purchase, we had 3 full days on the boat, on the hard, by ourselves, to run through every system in detail. We had it surveyed. We then spent two days going through it again with the owners. Then we bought it.

I have been working 8hrs a day, 7 days a week just finding and fixing sh*t....

Mark
How did the survey compare with what you found
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
How did the survey compare with what you found
I led the surveyor around and pointed out those things I wanted the owners to know, while not pointing out those things I did not want the insurance company to know.

It worked out well.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Above 5 knots

Dock

Not sure how this is any different from home inspectors.
They will find and point things out, but they rarely find the expensive ones. Not sure its fair to put it all on them though.

Some of this falls into dumb luck.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Some of this falls into dumb luck.
Wow, really?
Any surveyor who thinks he can make a living using "dumb luck" probably won't for very long. Especially these days with the internet for references.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in