Online boat shopping - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 01-08-2017 Thread Starter

Online boat shopping

Have been researching for past year, getting closer to making the move from land to sea. What is the best online market place for boats that presents current listings. I have done Yachtworld, Sailboat listings, Boattrader, Boats.com and several brokerage sites. I seem to see the same boats but there are few clues as to what is a current listing still available. Part of research is looking at average costs for age and make of boat. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-08-2017

Re: Online boat shopping

What's you location? In Canada Kijiji is King in my opinion, I don't even look at yacht world or brokerage sites.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-08-2017 Thread Starter

Looking in US, mainly Gulf Coast or Florida region. With value of US dollar going up, might consider European purchase paying for delivery if costs still lower than similar US purchase.

post #4 of 27 Old 01-08-2017

Two of my favorites for "window shopping".

Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale

Boats for Sale - New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com
SailingUphill likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-08-2017

have you owned a boat? What sort of experience do you have?
post #6 of 27 Old 01-08-2017

This one has quite a few listings in the Gulf.
Sailboats for sale from Sailing Texas, Sailboat Classifieds, sailboat for sale by owner

"Just call me TB"
post #7 of 27 Old 01-08-2017

Get references from other boaters you might know and find a broker to give you a hand. Give that broker an exclusive for 6 months, so they know they have a chance and will work hard. If they do something stupid, you can fire them, but tell them you are doing so. Just don't work with multiple brokers at once, unless they are doing no more than showing you the listings, that you found on your own, in their own yard. A good broker will often know of listings you can't find, or more importantly, the stories behind listings you do find.

I think you have your internet listings pretty much covered.

Have you purchase a boat before? If not, there is much to learn and many here that can help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-08-2017

Any/all of the various listing sites are great for filtering out your likes and dislikes.. but no matter how good (or bad) the pictures are they are nothing like 'being there'.

The pro sites like Yachtworld seem quite current as to listings sold or under offer, CL and others require the seller to update or remove the ads so that's less certain. However a simple inquiry by phone or email will quickly sort that out.

Shop local if you can; at least withing easy driving distance. A friend had some very specific wants, and after discussions with brokers flew from BC to California and to the Great Lakes on the brokers' assurances, only to discover within minutes that the boat was not in the 'pristine' condition that was claimed. The pictures looked good, but......

That said, if you do narrow down to one or two specific designs you may have no choice but to buy at a distance, but obviously there are extra costs involved - inspection travel, 'remote' surveyor hiring, and ultimately transport/delivery time and money on top of that.

Finally, pay attention to where the boat was built.. North American built boats are duty free, Euro and Asian built boats will have near 10% duty attached if you end up importing (eg buying in Canada - where you get a good deal on your dollar). Many Beneteaus and Jeanneaus, for example, from the 80s/90s were built abroad.

Happy hunting!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #9 of 27 Old 01-08-2017
al brazzi

My last purchase was private no Broker as a lot are and I don't remember off hand how I spotted it, they are all good to see whats out there if you settle on a certain boat just GOOGLE *****for sale and you get all listings public and private (advertised anyway) online shopping is great but until you put eyes on, you just cant tell from pictures some stuff like waterlines on cabinetry can be seen but you will be surprised at how nice they look in pictures and in person not so much.

I cant imagine a situation where I would let a Broker and or Surveyor make that determination for me. You might talk to the local Banks and Marinas to see what might be in distress right in your own town I think the number of Boats that could be bought in my Marina and the one next door that are NEVER used, I can be residing for 5 years and tell you which ones never go out and have not been hauled in years etc. Of course the tricky part to this is usually they are bottom line boats condition unknown and the seller is not even thinking about things like hauling and surveys so tricky at best but some potential deals out there.

I see you're in FL no shortage of Boats just be aware tropical Boats can need more rigging work that northern or fresh water Boats.
I bought 120 miles away and after looking much farther decided to not move something too far right away so unless delivering consider that as well.

Last edited by Faster; 01-08-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: paragraphs, Al!!
post #10 of 27 Old 01-08-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks to all. Grew up on Great Lakes, did some crewing on a racer, been landlocked for 30 years but am ready for the water again. Am moving forward with lots of research but know I don't know what I don't know. Just trying to figure out budget and timeline and learning whats out there,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in