SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Advice on single person sailing yacht (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/275705-advice-single-person-sailing-yacht.html)

Dom85 02-04-2017 05:16 PM

Advice on single person sailing yacht

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a sailing yacht, approximately 40ft, with the intention of living on it and sailing around the world. I'll be a one-man sailing team and I have no idea what type of boat I'd need to do this.

What type of specification, features would best suit my situation? i.e. long keel, self-tacking jib etc

Also if you know any boat models with these specifications to recommend that would be great..

Thank you very much,
Dom

Skipper Jer 02-04-2017 05:24 PM

Re: Advice on single person sailing yacht

Sailing experience? Boat ownership experience? Budget?

Dom85 02-04-2017 05:27 PM

I have none, I'm currently doing my crewman course and after will do my skipper course... I have no intention of sailing around the world without knowing what I'm doing, that will be in years to come once I have a clue of what I'm doing.
I have never owned a boat.

Dom85 02-04-2017 05:29 PM

My budget is around 80,000...so around $100,000.

deniseO30 02-04-2017 06:40 PM

It's called "single handing" ketch is a good choice modified or full keel skeg protected rudder. Many boats can be handled by one person however for proficient use, things like lines, winches travelers can be changed or rearranged so less time is spent forward in bad weather.
It's a nice dream few ever make it reality

RegisteredUser 02-04-2017 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom85 (Post 3814913)
.....will be in years to come once I have a clue of what I'm doing.
I have never owned a boat.

Look at getting a decent 27-30 footer from somebody who knew what they were doing. Not a worn out POS will become a hole in the wallet.

Then learn and fart around on it a couple of years. Much cheaper and faster way to learn. You'll learn the boat and the systems that you'll quickly apply to a much larger and heavier boat.... and if you don't put it on the rocks, you'll flip it w/o much or any $ loss.

Good plan.
Go for it.

SanderO 02-04-2017 08:01 PM

Welcome and it's way too early to be asking what seem like dumb questions...

And you won't get the depth of answers that you need in a net discussion board. But by all means read the hundreds of threads in sailing forums... Look up words you don't understand...

And YES get on the water and learn...

Do yourself a favor... get some of the excellent books about sailing and cruising... read as much as you can... and once book educated you can converse intelligently about sailing, cruising and boats.

krisscross 02-04-2017 09:18 PM

40 ft is perhaps too big of a boat for one person to sail around the world, especially with not too much experience. If your budget is $100,000 for this trip, half of it will be for boat and gear, half for trip expenses. I would go with something around 35', like Nicholson 35 which is easily available in UK. Get one for around $30K, replace standing rigging and make it seaworthy in general. That is $50K right there. Get some basic sailing experience in school, then start learning on your own boat by taking longer and longer trips. That is what I would do anyway.
Here is one of these boats, as well as it's specs:
1973 Nicholson 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
NICHOLSON 35-1 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Barquito 02-05-2017 12:01 AM

I would say that 40' is getting near the limit of what you would want to single hand. The problem with really big boats is that you start to rely on electrical systems for sail handling, anchor handling, etc. If anything goes wrong, there is nobody else to lend a hand. Other than that, bigger boats are safer, faster, and more expensive.

I would just concentrate on baby steps. Learn how to sail.

cdy 02-05-2017 08:05 AM

I am with the comments above - start smaller for the short term - learn how to sail dinghys - without engines, get a starter boat for a while - maybe only 6 months - to make mistakes also to get an idea what you want in a bigger boat. Starting out on a 40 footer without prior experience is probably a bad idea, I would bet you will spend more time in the marina because you won't be comfortable with your sailing skills on such a big ( new to you) boat.