Advice on single person sailing yacht - SailNet Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 02-04-2017 Thread Starter

Advice on single person sailing yacht

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a sailing yacht, approximately 40ft, with the intention of living on it and sailing around the world. I'll be a one-man sailing team and I have no idea what type of boat I'd need to do this.

What type of specification, features would best suit my situation? i.e. long keel, self-tacking jib etc

Also if you know any boat models with these specifications to recommend that would be great..

Thank you very much,
Dom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 02-04-2017

Re: Advice on single person sailing yacht

Sailing experience? Boat ownership experience? Budget?

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #3 of 57 Old 02-04-2017 Thread Starter

I have none, I'm currently doing my crewman course and after will do my skipper course... I have no intention of sailing around the world without knowing what I'm doing, that will be in years to come once I have a clue of what I'm doing.
I have never owned a boat.

post #4 of 57 Old 02-04-2017 Thread Starter

My budget is around 80,000...so around $100,000.
post #5 of 57 Old 02-04-2017
One of None

It's called "single handing" ketch is a good choice modified or full keel skeg protected rudder. Many boats can be handled by one person however for proficient use, things like lines, winches travelers can be changed or rearranged so less time is spent forward in bad weather.
It's a nice dream few ever make it reality
brett737cap and travlin-easy like this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 02-04-2017 at 06:46 PM.
post #6 of 57 Old 02-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom85 View Post
.....will be in years to come once I have a clue of what I'm doing.
I have never owned a boat.
Look at getting a decent 27-30 footer from somebody who knew what they were doing. Not a worn out POS will become a hole in the wallet.

Then learn and fart around on it a couple of years. Much cheaper and faster way to learn. You'll learn the boat and the systems that you'll quickly apply to a much larger and heavier boat.... and if you don't put it on the rocks, you'll flip it w/o much or any $ loss.

Good plan.
Go for it.
Scotty C-M and aybeeplus like this.
post #7 of 57 Old 02-04-2017

Welcome and it's way too early to be asking what seem like dumb questions...

And you won't get the depth of answers that you need in a net discussion board. But by all means read the hundreds of threads in sailing forums... Look up words you don't understand...

And YES get on the water and learn...

Do yourself a favor... get some of the excellent books about sailing and cruising... read as much as you can... and once book educated you can converse intelligently about sailing, cruising and boats.
post #8 of 57 Old 02-04-2017

40 ft is perhaps too big of a boat for one person to sail around the world, especially with not too much experience. If your budget is $100,000 for this trip, half of it will be for boat and gear, half for trip expenses. I would go with something around 35', like Nicholson 35 which is easily available in UK. Get one for around $30K, replace standing rigging and make it seaworthy in general. That is $50K right there. Get some basic sailing experience in school, then start learning on your own boat by taking longer and longer trips. That is what I would do anyway.
Here is one of these boats, as well as it's specs:
1973 Nicholson 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
NICHOLSON 35-1 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 57 Old 02-05-2017
Barquito

I would say that 40' is getting near the limit of what you would want to single hand. The problem with really big boats is that you start to rely on electrical systems for sail handling, anchor handling, etc. If anything goes wrong, there is nobody else to lend a hand. Other than that, bigger boats are safer, faster, and more expensive.

I would just concentrate on baby steps. Learn how to sail.

Valiant 32
post #10 of 57 Old 02-05-2017
cdy

I am with the comments above - start smaller for the short term - learn how to sail dinghys - without engines, get a starter boat for a while - maybe only 6 months - to make mistakes also to get an idea what you want in a bigger boat. Starting out on a 40 footer without prior experience is probably a bad idea, I would bet you will spend more time in the marina because you won't be comfortable with your sailing skills on such a big ( new to you) boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in