Please help with Fraser 51 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2007 Thread Starter

Please help with Fraser 51

We are making an offer on a 1988 Fraser 51 cutter and have found very little information on the design, construction yard, quality, reviews, drawings, etc.

If you have any information, links, or opinions we'd love to hear about them.

Thanks for your time.

C&V

PS We plan to cruise California to Mexico for a year, maybe keep going around the Pacific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2007

Fraser Yachts were built near Vancouver by the DeKleer Bros in Richmond, BC, Canada. They built a range of boats including the Fraser 30, 36, 41, 42 and 51/53 and also produced various versions of the Endurance 35 under licence.

There are plenty of their boats around in the PNW - if it surveys well it should be a decent boat. I'm not sure of the design pedigree, but believe they were in-house efforts.

They offered hull/deck kits as well as fully finished yachts on a semi-custom basis and have a good rep for glass work and ruggedness. I believe the prinicipals have retired/passed on and don't think they are still in operation.

The only caution I suppose would be to know if it's an owner-finished or a factory finished boat and inspect it with that knowledge or speculation.

Last edited by Faster; 01-10-2007 at 07:59 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2007 Thread Starter

cabin construction

Thanks for the input.
The cabin was constructed by a mill wright I've been told and it is very good quality using solid teak and cedar.
Chris
PS It has an older in mast furler.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2007
the pointy end is the bow

I talked to Aire DeKleer last spring about his boats. He built three 51's and about 80 42's-41's. We have a 41 and it's a well built boat. Like Faster said however, most were owner finished, so interior quality varies from boat to boat.

I've seen the 51 you're talking about on Yachtworld.com but don't know anything about that particular boat. Aire still lives in B.C. in the warm seasons, but is a snow bird and goes south for the winter. You might be able to track him down by going through Spencer Yachts, as they have the Fraser 41 molds now and may keep in touch.

Ray
S.V. Nikko
Fraser 41
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2007 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info so far.
I dont have specific questions. I just want to learn as much as possible, particularly before the deal is done some time in a week or two.
Chris
post #6 of 6 Old 02-11-2015

Re: Please help with Fraser 51

My dad built the molds for the Fraser 51, 42, 41. The boats were designed by Doug Cook.
Dad's Fraser 51 The Last Dance is now for sale and listed by Arbutus Coast Yachts near Vancouver BC. Of all the Fraser 51 finished it is the nicest as everything was hand crafted and exceptional attention the detail.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in