post #71 of 76 Old 03-06-2017

Re: Marine Surveyors

The person that did my survey was:

North Wind Marine Survey
Rock Hall, Maryland
James Reihl, AMMS
(410)778-4742
(443)480-2892

He climbed into the engine compartment, which I could never have dreamed of doing, checked every square inch of the boat, tested the entire hull for moisture, showed me things I never thought about with the rigging, and even tested the electronics. He was very courteous, efficient, and thorough. The very first section of his contract, which we both signed says:

GUIDELINES: The survey guidelines used for the inspection conform with the standards and practices set by the USCG Code Of Federal Regulations #33 & #46, NFPA and ABYC. Guidelines for determining the fair market value of the subject vessel are the NADA Guide, BUC Value Guide, local market conditions and a nationwide search of the internet and Marine Publications for comparable vessels.

The survey, which took about 4 hours, cost me $495 for my Morgan 33 Out Island and was well worth every penny I paid him. Additionally, in the contract, if a bank or insurance company were to reject the survey, he would issue a full refund upon receipt of a letter from the bank or insurance company. Jim, IMO, is a very professional surveyor and I highly recommend him.

All the best,

Gary
JimMcGee and slap like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 76 Old 03-06-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
LOL, I think he went into home inspections!
Jim: In 1984 I bought a stone barn. It took me and my boys 10 years to turn it into a house. When we sold it the buyers brought in a building inspector who found absolutely nothing wrong and he made $1k on a report of boilerplate in a 3" binder. That deal fell through due to financing.

A few weeks later another buyer sent a different inspector who also charged $1k and in 4hrs. found every single corner I had cut and believe me some stuff was buried very deep.

Moral : If you hire someone you must accept some responsibility for finding the right person .... they are out there.
JimMcGee and travlin-easy like this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #73 of 76 Old 01-05-2018

Hello and Happy New Year Maine Sail,

First of all, I am a huge fan of your tips and videos on compass marine.
Your expertise has helped me maintain my recently sold Ranger 29 in near bristol condition (well, good condition actually!)

I am in the market for a replacement and am interested in a nice looking Sabre 28 of 1982 vintage located in Newburyport, MA.

Since I am on Long Island and the boat is 250 miles north, I feel a survey is a prudent step to learn the most I can

about this particular vessel.

/cut to the chase...

Can you recommend a professional to assist me in this endeavor in this general area of New England?

If you are not comfortable with it, I will understand.

Thanks and looking forward to your response.

Best Regards,
Tripl

Last edited by tripl; 01-05-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: addition

post #74 of 76 Old 01-05-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripl View Post
Hello and Happy New Year Maine Sail,

First of all, I am a huge fan of your tips and videos on compass marine.
Your expertise has helped me maintain my recently sold Ranger 29 in near bristol condition (well, good condition actually!)

I am in the market for a replacement and am interested in a nice looking Sabre 28 of 1982 vintage located in Newburyport, MA.

Since I am on Long Island and the boat is 250 miles north, I feel a survey is a prudent step to learn the most I can

about this particular vessel.

/cut to the chase...

Can you recommend a professional to assist me in this endeavor in this general area of New England?

If you are not comfortable with it, I will understand.

Thanks and looking forward to your response.

Best Regards,
Tripl
I too am a fan of Mainesail. May I suggest a few tips on how to inspect the vessel yourself before hiring a surveyor. Marine Survey 101
tripl likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #75 of 76 Old 01-05-2018

BP,
Very helpful, thank you sir!
post #76 of 76 Old 08-10-2018

I just had this conversation this past weekend. I know with home inspectors you are better off hiring a roofer, an electrician and an HVAC guy and skip the home inspector all together. If a home inspector finds an issue where there is none, the expert on that system can refute the home inspector finding and that's it. I am thinking of purchasing a small day sailer, a 2000 23' Precision, and wonder if a survey is in my best interest. Thoughts?
Karen

Tags
buying , surveyor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in