Nobody's buying boats? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 78 Old 04-25-2017

Re: Nobody's buying boats?

Sold a couple of entry level dinghies and one 18ft catamaran in the last 12 months or so. All 3 to people getting into sailing for the first time or with minimal experience on other people boats. They were all looking for a cheap but complete package and I delivered. Buyers were all young people in their 20's with small kids. Nothing scientific but I think younger people still like sailing and owning boats. I will be buying my first big (30-35') boat in the next 10 months to take a 3 year break from work (or possibly retire early for good). Again, I'm looking for a complete package cruising boat, not a project, even as I have restored quite a few smaller sailboats in the last 30 years and never lost money on any of them (at least when figuring my labor at Chinese sweat shop rates).
TomMaine likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 78 Old 04-25-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
We had our first boat in our mid 30's. A 22' pocket cruiser. Wow was that fun. It was the escape from work, the connection with the ocean, it was important to us. By then we had a house, decent jobs, and a couple of cars...all that we "owned" but the bank owned us . It's what we did back then.

There is an argument that the future is not about ownership. Young people are happy renting the place they live, leasing a car (or better ride sharing and ultimately pressing a button on their iPhone for a self driving car to arrive at their house to take them to x), doing virtual stuff, owning less....valuing experience over ownership. Is this wrong? No, it's just different. There is little doubt in terms of capital efficiency that ownership isn't always the best use of capital. Particularly when your talking about rapidly depreciating assets that gobble money to maintain like yachts.

What they may miss is: there is a feeling that you get when you maintain, repair, navigate, sail, power, and get someplace in your own vessel based on your own abilities. There is a freedom to this and self determination. It is more than experiencing sailing, it's doing it, the whole thing. Somehow a sunset is better from the deck of your own boat, that you got there, that you maintained, that you got through the fog bank, that you varnished the teak, that ......

Somehow that's all much more real for me than any experience that is managed by technology or other people. Somehow that's better than any organized activity. Yea, I don't go on bus tours or cruise ships. No appeal. Wonder how many sailors feel the same?

Maybe it's because we weren't carted off to one group experience after another as kids. We organized our own sand lot games. We played touch football in the street, time out for cars. We went off the play in the neighborhood and self organized activities. Nothing was virtual, and little was organized for us.

Yea, I know, I'm getting old and sounding like an old man. Guilty as charged. Every generation has a similar set of complaints about the next.
How many Co-ops out there? Locally, there's the Moraine Sailing Club. Once you are a member and are US Sailing certified, you can sign out and use any of the club boats any time you want. These are Flying Scotts and Sunfish on a lake, but I'm sure there are similar clubs on the ocean or the great lakes with much larger boats.

Me, personally, I ended up buying my own 16' sloop anyway. The cert was taking too long because the classes weren't frequent enough. Once I had my own boat I was sailing multiple times per week. The classes were only every other weekend.

Additionally, I found the Sunfish to be too small and the Scott too big. A Sunfish is fine if I go by myself, but cramped for two people. A Scott is huge for anything less than 3 people. My 16' is small enough to easily single hand, and big enough for 3 people comfortably.

If I planned on keeping this boat, I have a long list of improvements I'd like to make to the rigging as well as general repairs and maintenance (it's 30 years old). I might still do it, but I'm waiting to see what happens once I've purchased a larger boat. I doubt I'd have the autonomy to make changes to the club's boats.

In the end, some if it is practical; but some of it is psychological. I like the fact that it's _my_ boat. I don't even know why, to be honest.
capecodda and TomMaine like this.
post #23 of 78 Old 04-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
..... I like the fact that it's _my_ boat. I don't even know why, to be honest.
I agree. It's my refuge. Immediate stress reliever. I've even consciously said to myself, this is where I would go, if I lost it all. It's probably not a good plan, god forbid that ever happened, but it's emblematic of how I feel about my boat. It's not a shared toy.
capecodda likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 78 Old 04-25-2017
Old soul

Like I say, I’ve been hearing this “sailing is in decline” story for going on ten years. I’d love to see actual sales data on this (new and used market). It would be interesting to see what price brackets are moving and which aren’t. If growing income inequality is the main driver (as I speculate) I’d expect to see solid or even growing sales at the higher end, and stagnation or decline at the lower end.

BTW, I’m thinking about cruising boats starting in at least the 26’ range. I’d expect simple smaller play boats to be unaffected, or perhaps even go up in sales.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 78 Old 04-25-2017
Captain Obvious

Many of my friends and acquaintances are so far from being able to own, maintain and manage a sailboat. Mostly they waste ( IMHO ) their time, also their money on useless things, like driving to Loews to buy lawn fertilizer and mulch, attending company award dinners and driving to engagement parties for kids of people they barely know. How can they ever find time and money to buy a sailboat, and learn to sail??? And then take days off sailing somewhere!!! Hahahaha! That's fine, more dock space for me. I'll gladly be unpopular and go sailing.
jwing likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #26 of 78 Old 04-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
What they may miss is: there is a feeling that you get when you maintain, repair, navigate, sail, power, and get someplace in your own vessel based on your own abilities. There is a freedom to this and self determination. It is more than experiencing sailing, it's doing it, the whole thing. Somehow a sunset is better from the deck of your own boat, that you got there, that you maintained, that you got through the fog bank, that you varnished the teak, that ......

Somehow that's all much more real for me than any experience that is managed by technology or other people. Somehow that's better than any organized activity. Yea, I don't go on bus tours or cruise ships. No appeal. Wonder how many sailors feel the same?

Yea, I know, I'm getting old and sounding like an old man. Guilty as charged. Every generation has a similar set of complaints about the next.
Wow, don't feel too old. 28 year old here, had my first keel boat 10 years ago at 18. My wife and I just moved up to our third boat this spring.

I sail for exactly the reasons you describe. That experience is unlike any other.
capecodda and TomMaine like this.
post #27 of 78 Old 04-25-2017
Freedom isn't free

Dock

I've personally purchased 5 boats in 7 years... which I also sold 4... so all I can say is I can only buy SO MANY BOATS!!! you guys gotta pick up the slack some!

Before you think it, it was not all 2ft itis... First boat was a Catalina 14.2, then a Catalina Capri 22, then a Catalina Capri 25, then an S2 7.9 and now a WD Schock Wavelength 24. Next boat will require me to depart from larger waters... enough of this damned puddle I sail on.
TomMaine and Minnesail like this.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #28 of 78 Old 04-25-2017

I've been counting on it being a slow market, creating a "buyers market". If the market gets lively, that means that there will be fewer bargains when I'm finally ready to buy.
post #29 of 78 Old 04-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeaston View Post
Wow, don't feel too old. 28 year old here, had my first keel boat 10 years ago at 18. My wife and I just moved up to our third boat this spring.

I sail for exactly the reasons you describe. That experience is unlike any other.
Nova Scotia is perhaps my favorite place on the planet because of the people who live there. It's wonderful to hear of a young person living the sailing dream down east in such a beautiful place...and somehow not surprising.
TomMaine likes this.
post #30 of 78 Old 04-25-2017

Here's more speculation. Four score and seven years ago (exaggeration), I knew a lot of folks who drove cheap cars, as commuter or train cars. No air conditioning, no power anything, etc. Today, they hardly make such an animal. People want all the toys and the price of a car has far outpaced inflation, because of these upgrades.

I wonder if that is representative of a population that is saying, "if I can't afford the luxury sailboat, I don't want one"

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in