Is 36 enough ? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Is 36 enough ?

Wish me luck, I went for it ! I'll let you know my thoughts after the summer !
Sal Paradise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 05-14-2017
Master Mariner

One thing I would consider is that these are two completely different kinds of sailing. Eastern Canada is going to be cold and unpleasant in an open cockpit most of the time. Ventilation below will be of little consequence, but heat below will be important.
In the tropics however, ventilation moves up pretty close to the top of your list and it's pleasant sailing in a unenclosed (a dodger and bimini are nice) cockpit day or night. You may want to swap the cabin heater for an AC unit, as being at the dock in the tropics can be nearly intolerable without AC.
Why not look for a 'northern cruiser' for the present and when you are ready to head to the tropics, find a suitable boat for that.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #23 of 25 Old 05-16-2017
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet View Post
Wish me luck, I went for it ! I'll let you know my thoughts after the summer !

A lot of charter companies in the BVI's use the Oceanus 361 . Good luck and post some pictures.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

post #24 of 25 Old 05-16-2017

The answer to your question is.... it depends.

It certainly can be "enough" meaning adequate for a set of criteria.

My first boat is the one I own... and bought when I was pretty green... But I managed to get a great boat at a excellent price and it is a Contest 36s. I found out how "adequate" it is over the 32 years I've owned and sailed it, lived aboard and made many ocean passages.

But I don't have a family to accommodate and so for the occasional guests it's fine... and even for having another couple weekend with us.

I've done ocean passages solo, with one other person and with 2, and 3 and even the Marion Bermuda with total of 6 aboard. The "3 cabin" layout works for two couples or if the grand kids are aboard and they are packed into the V berth and love it up there. We use the aft cabin.

Our 36 has a large U shaped galley and a full nav desk for working on charts and a cockpit where 4 can actually sleep there!

I've never felt I didn't have "enough" space on this 36... I have a total of 50 lockers, cabinets shelves for stores (including a larger separate anchor locker).

Could I fill a larger boat? You betcha... Would passages be faster? yes! longer waterline means faster passages. But as we all know boat costs rise not in a linear manner but geometrically.

The boat did well in the tropics much cooler with a simple tent over the aft end of the boom and cockpit. And it's toasty warm with an Espar Aitronic 4 in the winter.

All boats are compromises... Make your choices and sail on.

Different strokes for different folks...

We report you decide...
hornet likes this.

Last edited by SanderO; 05-16-2017 at 07:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
hornet (05-16-2017)
post #25 of 25 Old 05-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet View Post
Starting next year hopefuly !
I've lived aboard full time and cruised the Great Lakes on a 35' boat with an infant. It's doable but you want to be pretty comfortable with your boat and cool with single handing all the time.

The problem comes when they turn into good climbers and runners, a small toddler on a big boat is kind of frustrating and scary, in my opinion.
hornet likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
hornet (05-16-2017)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in