C&C 35 mk1 1972 vs C&C 33 mk2 1986 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter

C&C 35 mk1 1972 vs C&C 33 mk2 1986

I don't know if I did anything wrong but could not find a post compare the two.

My admiral fell in love with a C&C 35 mk1 1972. I am thinking that might be too old of a boat, I know it is built strong though. On the other hand, the 1986 C&C 33 mk2 is in similar size, 14 years newer, but with cored hull. Two boats are in the same ballpark price.

I'd like to hear from experienced sailor to chime in and provide some experience.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 05-25-2017

Re: C&C 35 mk1 1972 vs C&C 33 mk2 1986

It all depends. If the 35-1 has been restored it might be the better buy. It is faster than the 33-2, solid glass hull, is a more tested boat. The downside to the 35-1 is the Atomic 4 which is pretty anemic for the 35. Deck rigging, if not changed, has a winch farm at the base of the mast instead of lines being led aft. The standing rigging is probably getting tired along with the sailtec hydraulic backstay adjuster.

The 33-2 is a newer design with more efficient foils. The boat will go upwind better than the 35. The interior is a bit nicer on the 33-2 with teak and holly sole. Interior is close to the 35 in size. the 33-2 has a 2gm20 Yanmar which is very reliable. Make sure surveyor diligently checks cored hull. Also the forward section of the bilge sump is susceptible to damage if grounded. Port lights in main cabin can leak if not properly fixed. Rigging is rod if I'm not mistaken and all halyards are led back as standard equipment.

Price being equal, the 33-2 is the better choice if it is in good condition. Lower maintenance costs for the 33-2
post #3 of 57 Old 05-25-2017

I would rule out the C&C35 Mk1 if it still has a gas engine. And especially if it has a 72 vintage Atomic 4. Think about buying a car. What would be a better buy? A 72 model with a gas engine or an 86 model with a diesel?

If you are cruising, the C&C35 doesn't have the kind of interior that more modern boats do. Many of them were raced in their earlier days and are tired. Decks are cored and more likely to be a problem that cored hulls. Besides some of the other problems, things like the ports were never good to start with and at this stage need to be replaced or repaired in a manner better than the original design.

The 35 is a reasonably well behaved boat, but not all that fast. It does suffer from an undersized and old fashioned rudder than can be a bear when running downwind.

Other than boats themselves, consider age, condition and type of sails and furling gear (if any). Also electronics that probably need replacing and can be costly. If cruising, consider presence or not of dodger & bimini which you may need.

I am surprised that both boats would be about same price. I could imagine an asking price for a 33 mk2 would be 50-150% higher than an early C&C35 if both were in equivalent condition.

post #4 of 57 Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter

Thank you Sanduskysailor and FreeAgent.

I've been researching about the 33. Some say it is only cored above waterline, some say it is only cored at the bow, do you know what in fact is? I went to the cncphotoalbum site but could not confirm the information.

I also saw user talking about collapsed mast step, I am wondering if this is a wide spread issue or isolated issue.
post #5 of 57 Old 05-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post

I am surprised that both boats would be about same price. I could imagine an asking price for a 33 mk2 would be 50-150% higher than an early C&C35 if both were in equivalent condition.
My thoughts too. The price was not given.. either the 35-1 should be beyond pristine or the 33-2 may have some issues...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 57 Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter

I asked the dealer about the boat and its price. The dealer said it was priced down because the current owner did a bad paint job on the bow and stern, possibly tried to remove the name of the boat. I don't know why people do that, but if in case a new paint job is required, I'd assume I can do it myself (carefully)? Or hire someone to do it professionally?

I am going to see the boat tomorrow, other than the well know wet core deck issue, window leak, anything else I should look at?

Thanks.
post #7 of 57 Old 05-25-2017
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing View Post
I asked the dealer about the boat and its price. The dealer said it was priced down because the current owner did a bad paint job on the bow and stern, possibly tried to remove the name of the boat. I don't know why people do that, but if in case a new paint job is required, I'd assume I can do it myself (carefully)? Or hire someone to do it professionally?

I am going to see the boat tomorrow, other than the well know wet core deck issue, window leak, anything else I should look at?

Thanks.
How about the not-as-well-known, but-many-times-more-expensive-to-repair wet hull core issue?

You might look around for a C&C 35 Mark II, that was the best of the bunch, solid construction with excellent performance.
Petrouschka likes this.

Certified...in several regards...
post #8 of 57 Old 05-25-2017

Quote:
Be sure to get a good idea on what a paint job would cost and factor that into any offer.

A truly professional job could easily run $15-20K - probably more than the price of the boat. Especially if a 'bad' paint job has to be 'undone' first.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #9 of 57 Old 05-25-2017 Thread Starter

Hi sailingfool, thank you. I was able to find an article from cncphotoalbum. That article describes that the C&C 33 mk2 is "only the forward panels of the hull are balsa cored. The rest of the hull is a conventional hand lay-up of mat and roving, with a isophthalic gelcoat and skinning resin. The 33's larger sisters (35, 38, 41, and 44) have balsa coring throughout their hulls, while the smaller sisters (30 and 27) have no coring at all in the hull"

Does it make sense to you?
post #10 of 57 Old 05-25-2017

Quote:

Thanks.
These boats are only painted after there has been some damage or if the original gelcoat has badly faded. I have a 1978 boat with original gelcoat and it is still in quite good shape. Wouldn't think of painting it myself. (I did once paint a friends Grampian 26, but we had a fully equipped shop available). I could see the C&C 35 getting painted if a major upgrade was being done, but the 86 C&C33 should still be good if cared for.

Most owners can't really paint a boat themselves without it ending up a real mess. You need to spray on several coats of primers and two part polyurethane like Awlgrip. The paint is toxic and you need a properly ventilated shop and breathing gear. I don't know what they are charging these days, but I would guess in the $5-10+k range for topsides only depending on where you are.

To find wet core and other issues you will need proper instruments. Before buying you need to have an independent survey done and it should be part of any offer. You will have to pay for the survey, so be sure you have the right boat before you get that far.

PS: I see Faster covered painting above. Maybe my guess at costs are on low side!

Last edited by FreeAgent; 05-25-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in