Trailerable 16-20' for 2' of water - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 65 Old 03-05-2018

Re: Trailerable 16-20' for 2' of water

[QUOTE=SeaStar58;2051412674]
Some folks with the O'day over 19 feet long are putting the Com-Pac Mastender System on them and appear to be quite happy with the results.

QUOTE]

Curious where you saw this. I have a O'day Mariner 19 and would love that hinged mast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 65 Old 03-05-2018

I can't imagine driving all the way to FL to buy an 18' boat. Then turning around and dragging it all the way back up I-95 (in the spring with all the other snow birds no less).

I do the drive from FL to New England every year and by the time I get up north I'm ready to shoot myself. That's a long, long drive - especially pulling a boat.
post #53 of 65 Old 03-05-2018

Bay Hen?

Walt Elliott
Kingston WA
Puget Sound
Cal-29

post #54 of 65 Old 03-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
I can't imagine driving all the way to FL to buy an 18' boat. Then turning around and dragging it all the way back up I-95 (in the spring with all the other snow birds no less).

I do the drive from FL to New England every year and by the time I get up north I'm ready to shoot myself. That's a long, long drive - especially pulling a boat.
You can order one and have it delivered and there are a number of dealers who stock them all over the country and then some.

I am finding lately the 27 to 30 hour straight through drive a bit much too. The worst part if you do it too early in the spring is the Edgar Allen Poe feel to things with the left over road salt and barren landscape devoid of leaves, blossoms and color.

One of the nice things about Com-Pac is that you can see both of the brothers sailing their own companies boats locally as they are regular sailors and do more than knock off designs on paper but get out there personally and live with them. Richard Hutchins' actually lives aboard a Com-Pac 35 while Gerry is the one that you will see more often taking their small boats out on trials and just for fun. That is one reason you see them now putting a centerboard even in some of the shoal keel Cat boats and that they went to the extreme of designing a stainless steel centerboard in a stainless steel trunk for that purpose. You may be able to talk with them directly about putting it in one of their other boats where they do not offer it and they may surprise you with an "OK, we can do that!". The stainless steel trunk should resolve some of the more common trunk failure issues others have to deal with and it would be nice to see others buying the trunk from them to incorporate in other brand boats or as an owner retrofit for replacing failing trunks.
asdf38 and Arcb like this.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 03-05-2018 at 10:30 PM.
post #55 of 65 Old 03-05-2018

[quote=archimedes;2051414906]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
Some folks with the O'day over 19 feet long are putting the Com-Pac Mastender System on them and appear to be quite happy with the results.

QUOTE]

Curious where you saw this. I have a O'day Mariner 19 and would love that hinged mast.
I was looking for videos showing the Mastendr System in use on the water and saw some blurbs about it being used on O'day's.

Here is one of them 2011:
post #56 of 65 Old 03-06-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedes View Post

At this point in my life with work, wife and 2-year old 2 days on 95 would be a break. So I'm pretty neutral on that.

Any chance anyone wants to look at the Precision in Florida on my behalf? Or know anyone in the area? If I could arrange that I'd probably opt to ship it. I posted in that sticky thread as well.

I think I'm going to pass on the compac and I think I need to close the book on that. I'll enjoy a sloop and a boat for under ~8k the most right now I think (subject to change the next time I see a picture of a catboat).
post #57 of 65 Old 03-06-2018

How about a free RK21/Ensinada?

At least this one is honest about condition and shows a fairly current photo of the boat:

Kidding aside where is the Precision? I won't try to buy it out from under you as they aren't my cup of tea since I am looking for a boat that has some chance of being beach launch-able.

I see that there is an 1989 Precision 18 for sale at Lake Fairview Marina in Orlando which would be a little far out for me to check:
Used 1989 Precision 18, Orlando, Fl - 32804 - BoatTrader.com
Looks pretty nice inside and out with stern and bow pulpits along with a bimini with an asking of $5,150.

Plenty of nice boats under 8K used here in Florida.
post #58 of 65 Old 03-07-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
How about a free RK21/Ensinada?

At least this one is honest about condition and shows a fairly current photo of the boat:

Kidding aside where is the Precision? I won't try to buy it out from under you as they aren't my cup of tea since I am looking for a boat that has some chance of being beach launch-able.

I see that there is an 1989 Precision 18 for sale at Lake Fairview Marina in Orlando which would be a little far out for me to check:
Used 1989 Precision 18, Orlando, Fl - 32804 - BoatTrader.com
Looks pretty nice inside and out with stern and bow pulpits along with a bimini with an asking of $5,150.

Plenty of nice boats under 8K used here in Florida.
Hey that's a pretty Precision 18! - I just put a deposit on it! Contingent on survey. So I'll just arrange a survey in lieu of asking anyone here for an inspection.

If this works out I'm pretty happy. This is the ideal way to buy a boat in my mind - older but well cared for is the best value its in the middle of my budget which leaves room for customization and upgrades. It's a boat that's high on my list with my two top accessories - bimini and canvas cover.

Though I still need the survey and need to arrange a pretty long trip for it....wish me luck with that.
post #59 of 65 Old 03-07-2018

That's a nice looking boat.
post #60 of 65 Old 03-07-2018

Wishing you luck and glad I could point you to a winner!

No takers though on the RC21? It should buff right out.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in