Trailerable 16-20' for 2' of water - SailNet Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 07-06-2017 Thread Starter

Trailerable 16-20' for 2' of water

After many years with my beloved Contessa 26 and a couple life changes (baby) I'm looking to move down in size, time and cost as well as change location.

The new boat would be on a mooring in 2' of water in a protected estuary and will mostly stay there. There is a 20' bridge separating the estuary from the harbor and the ocean (Buzzards Bay).

This means the list of requirements is this
-Less than 2' draft
-Must have cabin (just because)
-Must have a centerboard that can kick up on a grounding
-<2000lb
-Seaworthy and stable is a plus (family)

Boats that I've identified so far include the following:
1) Montgomery 17
2) Compac Sun-Cat
3) Compac 19
4) Marshall Sanderling
5) Mariner 19.

The Montgomery has remained at the top of my list because it has a great reputation, fits the requirements well and I like the way it looks. The Compac 19 is roughly similar (but larger) in my mind but only barely meets the draft requirements.

The catboats are an obvious choice. I love the way they look and they're big for their length but I'd have to get over fears of the consequences of that huge cat main getting overpowered and flipping the whole wide tub over. The compac Sun-Cat has a great hinged mast which could be unstepped on the water to duck under the bridge mentioned above - a huge plus. Though both are expensive.

The Mariner 19 isn't a boat that excites me a ton except that it's a respected simple and widely available option in this category.

If it was possible the Cape Dory Typhoon would be at the top of my list but it won't work in 2' of water. If there are similar classic full-keels with centerboards that fit the bill I'm not aware of them.

Any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 07-07-2017

Re: Trailerable 16-20' for 2' of water

Compac 19... no if you are serious about that 2' draft requirement.

It says 2' in sailboatdata
Its not going to float that high in real life.
post #3 of 65 Old 07-07-2017
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Victoria 18 (this is a great little boat).
Montego 19 (big 19 footer) will need to crank keel up each time to moor.
West Wight Potter 19 (again will need to lift keel each time you moor)
If that 2 feet draft is fudgeable, Capri 18 (2' 4" draft) is really a 20 footer, love these boats.
Starwind 19 I (shoal and centerboard boat).

Now for some crazy options..
S2 6.7
S2 6.9 (big boat for your requirements, not sure how well it does board up, but I think there is ballast in the bilge along with the keel).
Marshall Sanderling (cat boat, that is really quite quick off wind, keel/centerboard)
Corsair 750 (centerboard tri)
Corsair 24
asdf38 and StarwindMango like this.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA

post #4 of 65 Old 07-07-2017

2' at MLW? You might have a bit more flexibility, if you're willing to time the tides a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 65 Old 07-07-2017

I would think the 20' bridge restriction is a bigger issue than the draft. Just about any centerboard boat will solve the 2' draft problem, but most 16 and larger sloops are likely to have a mast height over 20'. A gaff rigged cat seem like the ideal choice.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Last edited by JimsCAL; 07-07-2017 at 11:11 AM.
post #6 of 65 Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter

Cool, some neat suggestions. I'll comment more later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
2' at MLW? You might have a bit more flexibility, if you're willing to time the tides a little.
2' is about what my mooring is going to be though obviously I need to double check that exactly. It's in mud so its not a disaster if the boat hits bottom but I don't want it it sitting on its side at low tide and generally a shallower draft opens up more sailing possibilities in these waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I would think the 20' bridge restriction is a bigger issue than the draft. Just about any centerboard boat will solve the 2' draft problem, but must 16 and larger sloops are likely to have a mast height over 20'. A gaff rigged cat seem like the ideal choice.
I didn't mean to confuse - I'll be sailing on the near side of the bridge almost all the time (East Branch Westport River) but if the boat can duck under the bridge that's great (how about those youtube videos where you hang a weight from the mast and deliberately heel 45+ degrees?). Any boat can trailer around it so a boat that's seaworthy enough to justify that is a plus.
post #7 of 65 Old 07-07-2017

Your only choice here is a West Wight Potter 19, if you can find one. Company was sold to the Chinese but there are a bunch out there, unfortunately not many in eastern MaSS.

6 inch draft with the board up, cabin with four berths, porta-pottie, stove, capable of sailing in 25 knot winds with the sails reefed.

Can be trailered easily if you can tow 2000 lb.

The bridge is a problem, but not insurmountable. You can rig a winch powered , or crank powered mast raiser or lower-er to drop the mast back enough to get under the bridge. But I would not try to do that single handed because you have to release the pin on the fore sail.

If you need under 20foot mast in a good sailing vessel you probably need a catboat with a gaff rig.
post #8 of 65 Old 07-07-2017
Freedom isn't free

Dock

I forgot my brothers boat!!! He's gonna kill me for not recommending it.

Newport 17 (can be found all over the place)... swing keel... draws like 12 inches up, like 4.5 feet down. Its a lightly laid up boat, but we've sailed it in 25 knot winds (obviously NOT the picture below).

We sailed his newport 17 on the Albemarle sound, I know pictures or it didn't happen... well here you go.
For the record, we used a public ramp, then under a bridge, with clearance, 5', no seriously 5' clearance (we were laying down in the cockpit, as the cabin cleared the bridge by about 1 foot. We motored probably 1/4 mile to the bridge with the mast down, then raised the mast, in the channel, then on with the sails, and sailing/sailing at that point. This picture was taken after we stopped at the house we were staying at, for "provisions" for the day (yep beer and sammiches). So the mast down is not a difficult problem to deal with honestly, you just need calm waters to do it ON the water.

For the record, water depth where we launched was so shallow his outboard (thankfully air cooled) was chopping up the surface and spraying water.

The dock in this picture had a water level of about 18 inches. We used a 5foot bamboo stick to measure depth to determine when we could lower the keel

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #9 of 65 Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter

Ok some good suggestions. Let me run through them.

Although the potter meets the requirements I've mostly ruled it out on aesthetic grounds.

The Starwind 19 is immediately interesting and also points towards the Precision 18 or even 21 (same designer). I actually like all these boats quite a lot but for some reason I'd discounted the precisions as probably too sporty for the family type sailing I envision. But I'm not sure if that's fair, their balast/displacement ratio at 30 for the 18 is similar to many of these others (except the Montgomery 17 which is 39) and they come with lifelines which many of these other options do not. If they have too much sail well that's easy to deal with (reef).

The Victoria 18 seems like a neat option that hits a lot of buttons for me (looks, balast/disp) though the 5'5" beam is skinny - bet she heels quickly. But she's definitely pretty.

The Montego 19 stikes me as roughly similar to a bunch of other options like O'Day 20, Cal 22 which maybe seem practical but don't excite me a ton.
The Following User Says Thank You to asdf38 For This Useful Post:
timangiel (07-11-2017)
post #10 of 65 Old 07-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
......I'll be sailing on the near side of the bridge almost all the time (East Branch Westport River) ........
I took a look at a chart. Do you mean East of the Westport Point Drawbridge? Not much water back there to ever put a centerboard down at all, other than a couple of channels. Murphy's Law would suggest the wind would never favor the channel.

The bridge type says, bascule, so doesn't it open to allow a mast through?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in