Yanmar "Starting to use oil" - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-12-2017 Thread Starter

Yanmar "Starting to use oil"

I am considering a boat. It has a Yanmar in it from 1985. 2 cylinder.

The owner said it is "starting to use oil" and that in the month of July cruising it used 1 liter + 1/4 liter.

He says it isn't going anywhere, there is no smoke or anything and the bilge is clean.

Ok is this enough to walk away? Is this motor of concern or do many use oil?

Thank you for your responses. Newbie in PNW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-12-2017

Re: Yanmar "Starting to use oil"

Something is definitely not right. That is a lot of oil use. My 3GM30 from 1985 doesn't use a drop all season. I would not necessarily move on, but I would not proceed without a mechanic diagnosing the issue and giving an estimate for the repairs.
olson34 and basssears like this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
Register1 (08-12-2017)
post #3 of 21 Old 08-12-2017

At worst, such an engine 'may' need a rebuild ... so If you really like this boat, consider within your offer to include the 'rebuild $$ deduct' within your offered price. You can get such (deduct) estimates from just about any reputable engine dealer.

There are some 'chemical treatments' with which to free-up / release stuck piston rings, cruded-up piston grooves, etc. You may get the owner to agree to do a 'SEAFOAM' in the crankcase oil treatment to see if the undue oil consumption is just a sticking piston rings, oil control rings, etc. --- all at his expense, of course.
If the engine has a PVC valve, that is stuck 'full open', that alone can cause 'oil consumption', etc. etc. etc.

https://seafoamsales.com/how-to-add-...crankcase-oil/

Last edited by RichH; 08-13-2017 at 10:31 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
Register1 (08-12-2017)

post #4 of 21 Old 08-13-2017

Dock

if its using that amount of oil it will not be a cheap fix.
With the reality of a new or rebuilt engine including instalation ... above $10,000

and you dont need the heart ache, stress or uncertainty on your first boat that should be the most exciting purchase of your life.
basssears likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
Register1 (08-13-2017)
post #5 of 21 Old 08-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Register1 View Post
....... in the month of July cruising it used 1 liter + 1/4 liter.........
That's a serious warning sign of a major repair to come. Good of the owner to be honest about it.

It's probably best to walk, but any boat you buy will have the potential for unanticipated engine issues. If the owner was willing to identify and correct this serious problem and the rest of the boat was solid, it may be worth continuing. However, for discussion sake, let say only one cylinder has lost compression. Even though repairing that single cylinder may eliminate the oil consumption, it is still a sign of a full overhaul to come.

I'm attracted to an honest seller, if you can get it at the right price to fix the motor, but it still may be more trouble than it's worth.
PhilCarlson likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Register1 (08-13-2017)
post #6 of 21 Old 08-13-2017

At the right price, where the right price = Value - price of repower/rebuilt, you could have a boat with a brand new or rebuilt engine. Just make sure you really understand the price of repower/rebuilt. We just did it on a power boat with great access and an engine that fit perfectly on the old mounts, etc, and the total cost or repower was at least 1/3 labor. If it's a hard installation involving cabinetry, could easily be more.

If you are new to this, IMHO, find something else. If not, you know a great yard, you know the right mechanics, or you are skilled at doing this yourself because you've done it before, then I'd consider it. Installation of a new engine involves electrics, plumbing, exhaust, control cables, engine mounts, drive train issues (gear/shaft/stuffing box/cutless), and working around cabinetry. Can add up. Hard to touch one thing and not end up fixing other things. For example, we ended up with reconditioned shaft, new prop, new cutless, new stuffing box, and well the gear is old too, so why not....etc....etc......etc. And this thing was in a raised engine box on deck, for easy in-easy out...

Maybe it's something simple causing the oil "consumption" but there are enough really bad reasons I think you need to discount the price to assume re powering to do this deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
Register1 (08-13-2017)
post #7 of 21 Old 08-13-2017
Learning the HARD way...

In preparation for my trip (starting in 3 weeks!), I have been viewing videos from s/v Escape. (It's kind of like Bevis and Butthead on a boat)

In Episode 10 their Yanmar, which had been using about a quart per month, throws a rod. You can watch it here:

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
Register1 (08-13-2017)
post #8 of 21 Old 08-13-2017

Hey,

How many hours did the engine run for it use 1+ liters of oil? If that was in 1 hour something is REALLY wrong. It was as in 100 hours then it's not that bad.

And what has it used since then? Perhaps the oil was low after a change and didn't use that much oil? Or, perhaps the rings are shot and it's burning oil at a high rate. A single data point (used 1.25 liters in July) doesn't tell you much.

Barry
PhilCarlson likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
Register1 (08-13-2017)
post #9 of 21 Old 08-13-2017

Consider that a 2 cylinder only holds 2.0 liters of oil using that much oil is way excessive. I had a Yanmar 2 cylinder that had 2500 hours and you could not measure any oil usage between oil changes. plan at least $6-7K for a rebuild and install of a rebuilt Yanmar 2 cylinder of that year.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
Register1 (08-13-2017)
post #10 of 21 Old 08-13-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

I did a partial engine rebuild of my Yanmar 2GM myself, without prior engine experience. I spent $2,000 on JUST parts! with the rate of labor costs, it could easily cost 3 times that amount for someone else to do the work.

Get a mechanic to look it over before going too far in a purchase process. Compression test might give an idea of what's going on too.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in