Boat suggestions or comments, 38-42 feet. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 Old 08-24-2017
Banned

Re: Boat suggestions or comments, 38-42 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
I think he might get a legend 35.5 in fairly good shape or a maybe a 37.5 in that price range but to get anything bigger you might get it for that price but that will just be the starting point. I thought I could put an additional 10 grand into my 33.5 and have her where I thought I wanted her. Boy was that a huge mistake! That while you're at it crap will really eat up the boat bucks. I do agree with smack about the Hunters though... You get an awful lot of bang for the buck and that's coming from a former Hunter Basher who tried to pull the trigger on 2 Tartans and one Ericson but just couldn't justify the extra cost for boats that were 12 - 14 years older.
Booyah.

Have you seen my "Money Blizzard" post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 08-24-2017

You budget feels low...

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #13 of 37 Old 08-24-2017
Captain Obvious

I'm surprised you did not mention a big dodger or hard top. In your experience, did your boat have adequate sun protection? Do you just look at that as something that can be added to any optimal boat if needed?

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

post #14 of 37 Old 08-24-2017 Thread Starter
SLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
You budget feels low...
Yes it is low. The final, ready to cruise, price will probably 25% more. When I filter adds in my search, I start at $60k to see what is available as far as models and level of of maintenance and/or upgrades. I look at it in two different ways:
1- Less equipped is cheaper and I can select my own options and gadgets. But I have to work more before it is ready.
2- Find one that was upgraded and pay for stuff I do not use/want, like A/C and radar.

I had A/C on the last one, used it once in Guatemala for interior cleaning. I never removed it and kept it running..for the next owner. Some people want these things.

SLI
post #15 of 37 Old 08-24-2017 Thread Starter
SLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I'm surprised you did not mention a big dodger or hard top. In your experience, did your boat have adequate sun protection? Do you just look at that as something that can be added to any optimal boat if needed?
M. Paradise,
I had a dodger & bimini with a junction in between that I could remove for better visibility in tight area like marinas and small channels. Made of sunbrella, had to waterproof it every 4-6 months. Using a paint brush not the spray, it is too thin and it goes everywhere with the wind.
It was dark blue, I recommend a light color, dark will get very hot. One summer I was in Grenada, we installed a tarp over the boom (very chic!) to have more shade. A friend with teak decks had to water cool it with buckets during the day, it was getting too hot inside.
Hard top? Saw that once on a mono, with a gutter all around to collect rain water, very efficient.

So yes, I would not cruise without a dodger and a bimini, but some people do!

SLI
ps: It is funny, I am not a big fan of sun-beach-sand and wind, it is all about adventure-travel-discoveries, it is not about the boat!
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #16 of 37 Old 08-24-2017 Thread Starter
SLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I think Marlow bought it around 2012. But the original Hunter models were still being sold until a year or two ago I think.

In any case, for your budget you obviously don't have to worry about that. You're going to be confined to years before the early-mid 90s. $40K is a fairly skinny budget for a 40' boat ready to go...unless it's relatively old.

Have you searched Yachtworld with your specs? That's will give you a very good idea of what's out there with the various brands.
Ho yes yachworld, getting good with the search criteria. I did read your long post on your blog on how you ended up with a Hunter 40. We do have the same criteria and many others do too. Very entertaining story. In my 12,000 nautical miles we did encounter some 'situations' where I was very proud of our boat, it was very forgiving of my mistakes and it is why I choose it. I just want to try something else.

Hunters: I dont think so, not because of construction or reputation, just the layout of 37-38-40 in my price range. Only my personal preference, I don't like the large aft cabin, the 1/2 companionway and the main traveler in the cockpit. My aft cabin was called the garage we always used th V birth, I like to ear the chain grinding in the bottom, I get use to the sequence of noise and if something goes wrong (it did many times, another story) it wakes you up.

SLI
post #17 of 37 Old 08-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI View Post
I get use to the sequence of noise and if something goes wrong (it did many times, another story) it wakes you up.

SLI
I would like to hear the story. What happened.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #18 of 37 Old 08-25-2017 Thread Starter
SLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I would like to hear the story. What happened.
This is going tu turn into another anchor discussion...
At purchase our boat came with a 35# CQR/150' 5/16 chain, and a 35# BRUCE/35' chain and 150' rode. I wanted to replace one of the 2 by a Rocna, I believed it was better. More money and advice from a friend captain steered me away from that option. I was using the CQR as main anchor. My technique that my friend taught me was to drop the anchor and the chain over it, sit and wait to be push back, wait and watch if I was dragging, if not, open the beer! Hey that's easy and it worked..as long as the bottom is sand or mud, so ok for ICW and Bahamas (in most places). Nassau harbor was the first experience.

Before they built the present marina, sailors anchored in front of Green Parrot. Rule #1: wa shall anchor in the middle of the pack of boats. After 3 trials of my superior technique, it hook something (I found out later that is no sand or mud in that area). The day was calm, but as usual in Bahamas a front came by one night. Something woke me up, I look outside and we are very (10') close to another boat, but that boat is coming closer to us, am I dragging forward? The lady came out, I told her you are dragging, she tells me no it is you...eee....get your captain up I yell. By the time the zombi came out they where past us, he started the engine and left. I told myself I should show him my technique.

The sun came up, and another neighbor was now in the channel, I went with my dinghy, woke them up and gave a hand to come back in the anchorage. Now I believed I was the smartest guy in this place, me in my first year cruising. The wind was 15-17kt, hey lets go for a visit in town and we left.

At noon when I came back..what is this, somebody moved my boat at the back of the pack !!! And I now have 2 anchors in the water!! Our turn came while on shore and the friendly neighbor of the morning returned the favor and save our boat from leaving without us...Rule #2: Wa shall always be friendly with members of the pack.. When I lifted anchor, my CQR was wrap in a piece of metal that looked like a residue of washing machine or something...

Some other new friends cruisers told me ''you have to pull back with the engine to set the anchor''. I tried, but most of the time the CQR would pull out, so I stopped doing it. I started to dive to check on it. When suspicious, I would drop he second anchor as safety, and have to untwist it in the morning before leaving. 8 months later I switched to the Bruce as main anchor and retired the CQR, but still could not pull on it to set, well unless it is mud or deep sand.

I dragged many times but I have to say I was not careful at choosing my spot, you know, circling around searching for sandy spots, while the other boaters sit outside watching you with 'devils eyes'. Rule #3: Wa shall sit outside to scare new comers. This habit gets me...grrrr. Wait until he stops the engine and if you are still concern, go pay him a friendly visit. I once offered to move my boat if I was in his way, guess what, he did move.

In the end I did spend the money for a 45# Rocna, oversize for my boat. It was NIRVANA, I now can go reverse at 2000rpm (with a maxprop!), this thing digs itself in less than 3' length. I survived a 'deraicho' (google it) anchored in Norman's Cay channel, 60kt for 90 minutes.

SLI
ps: do not follow rule 1 & 3. Rule 2 at your discretion.
Jenksie likes this.
post #19 of 37 Old 08-25-2017
Dirt Free

I'd take the C&C off your list, they are fully balsa cored. I haven't surveyed one in the last 12 years that did not have serious balsa decay in the bottom. Their day is done.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
davidpm (08-25-2017)
post #20 of 37 Old 08-25-2017
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

What about a Tartan 42? for 29 k or less

1981 Tartan 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in