Boat suggestions or comments, 38-42 feet. - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 08-23-2017 Thread Starter
SLI

Boat suggestions or comments, 38-42 feet.

We are shopping for our new to us sailing boat. Cruising area is Florida, ICW, Bahamas. For a couple with a dog. To give you the picture, here is our short story:

We sold our 37' sailboat (80's full keel heavy US made) last fall, after 8 years of ownership. We sailed her from Lake Champlain to Grenada, South America, Central America and back to the Bahamas for the last 3 winters.

At the beginning it was a 2 years project...We sold her to never have another sailboat...The usual story!

We really liked certain aspect it: generous interior, big cockpit, really safe for novice (us), solid with top quality components and it was ready to go at purchase.

For the next boat we need to improve on some aspect without loosing what we liked about the old one:
- Better sailing. Lets face it, she was a motor sailor, we had to use the motor way to much. I need a boat that can sail in light wind, 8kt. Wind is ok, the problem is the waves that comes with it.
- Let say PHRF between 100 and 130.
- 38 to 42 feet.
- Need storage, reservoirs, energy and food to stay hidden for at least a month. Like 100g of water and 50g of fuel.
- A good dinghy and outboard to go fishing (see previous item...). Hey! if it comes with it...
- no intention of crossing ocean, occasional overnights only. Island hoping is what we do.
- Dry cockpit when sailing and protected from wind at anchor.
- An anchor chain pit with outside cover. We have anchored up to 3 times in the same day. This one is a must for us, having to go in for un-jaming the chain during maneuvers was a pain. And power windlass. And all chain. And a Rocna...
- An arch to put the solar panels, wind gen, radar, dinghy, outboard etc...
- salt water footpump in galley
- My wife would really like a swim platform

Just like this was not enough, we want it cheap, under $40,000.

I know it is all about compromise and that most of the items on that list are add-on that we could do on our previous boat, except some major items like speed and light air sailing, we could not fix.

I am not looking for a major fixer. Need a solid base hull & deck, good layout, good engine. Something desirable that will hold value. The rest can be added on or fixed. All a matter of price.

On my short list I have:
- Ericson 38-200
- Pearson 39-2, centerboard
- C&C 40 mk2, centerboard. Is that a race boat? No regatas for us.
- Beneteau Oceanis 400
- Beneteau Oceanis 390, 4.5' draft
- Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40, they are rare
- Sabre 38 or 42, expensive
- Catalina 42 mk1, may be too expensive

So what do you think?

SLI

PS: A rich man once told me that it is better to pay a high price for something that every body wants than a low price for something that nobody wants !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-23-2017
bell ringer

Re: Boat suggestions or comments, 38-42 feet.

you have lots of experience, get one of the boats you like

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old 08-23-2017

Send a message via Skype™ to G Mike Lind

Those are all really good questions for someone like me who is new to boating and thinking about buying my first boat in the next 6 months. Your criteria is very similar to mine as far a price range, size and equipment. Please keep posting what you find (likes and dislikes).

post #4 of 37 Old 08-23-2017 Thread Starter
SLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Mike Lind View Post
Those are all really good questions for someone like me who is new to boating and thinking about buying my first boat in the next 6 months. Your criteria is very similar to mine as far a price range, size and equipment. Please keep posting what you find (likes and dislikes).
Humm...maybe I should contribute more.

I will try to keep you posted, I am suppose to visit one Ericson and one Beneteau in the next weeks.
post #5 of 37 Old 08-23-2017
Banned

For your price range, you really should add Hunter (pre-Marlow) to that mix. I did a whole lot of research and shopping before purchasing ours. We sail the exact same area/way you're talking about and she has been a great boat. I think you could get "more" and "better" for the money in many Hunters than the other brands you list. Here's my write-up if you're interested...

How We Got To Hunter | SMACKTALK!
post #6 of 37 Old 08-23-2017

What was the boat you had for 8 years?
For your cruising area (draft issues), best boats in that range will be centerboards. Like P39 and C&C40. One here:1981 C&C 40 sailboat for sale in North Carolina

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #7 of 37 Old 08-23-2017 Thread Starter
SLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
For your price range, you really should add Hunter (pre-Marlow) to that mix. I did a whole lot of research and shopping before purchasing ours. We sail the exact same area/way you're talking about and she has been a great boat. I think you could get "more" and "better" for the money in many Hunters than the other brands you list. Here's my write-up if you're interested...
I will have a look. What is pre-Marlow? What year is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
What was the boat you had for 8 years?
For your cruising area (draft issues), best boats in that range will be centerboards. Like P39 and C&C40.
That C&C is the reason it was added to my list. I am a bit concern about the racing background, will I be able to managed in all conditions, will my crew be scared? I would be interested in opinions on C&C 40, how is it confortable for ocean sailing in 15-20kt 5-7' sea?

SLI
post #8 of 37 Old 08-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI View Post
That C&C is the reason it was added to my list. I am a bit concern about the racing background, will I be able to managed in all conditions, will my crew be scared? I would be interested in opinions on C&C 40, how is it confortable for ocean sailing in 15-20kt 5-7' sea?

SLI
This is not a typical racing boat, more like a fast cruiser. These are well built, relatively heavy boats with good ballast ratio that sail very well. In heavier air you will need to reef early, of course. The negative here IMO is a tall mast which can be a problem on ICW. I would check into it's rig specifics with the current owner.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 37 Old 08-23-2017
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI View Post
I will have a look. What is pre-Marlow? What year is that?
I think Marlow bought it around 2012. But the original Hunter models were still being sold until a year or two ago I think.

In any case, for your budget you obviously don't have to worry about that. You're going to be confined to years before the early-mid 90s. $40K is a fairly skinny budget for a 40' boat ready to go...unless it's relatively old.

Have you searched Yachtworld with your specs? That's will give you a very good idea of what's out there with the various brands.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-23-2017 at 11:39 PM.
post #10 of 37 Old 08-24-2017

I think he might get a legend 35.5 in fairly good shape or a maybe a 37.5 in that price range but to get anything bigger you might get it for that price but that will just be the starting point. I thought I could put an additional 10 grand into my 33.5 and have her where I thought I wanted her. Boy was that a huge mistake! That while you're at it crap will really eat up the boat bucks. I do agree with smack about the Hunters though... You get an awful lot of bang for the buck and that's coming from a former Hunter Basher who tried to pull the trigger on 2 Tartans and one Ericson but just couldn't justify the extra cost for boats that were 12 - 14 years older.
smackdaddy likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in