Join Date: Aug 2017
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Boat suggestions or comments, 38-42 feet.
We are shopping for our new to us sailing boat. Cruising area is Florida, ICW, Bahamas. For a couple with a dog. To give you the picture, here is our short story:
We sold our 37' sailboat (80's full keel heavy US made) last fall, after 8 years of ownership. We sailed her from Lake Champlain to Grenada, South America, Central America and back to the Bahamas for the last 3 winters.
At the beginning it was a 2 years project...We sold her to never have another sailboat...The usual story!
We really liked certain aspect it: generous interior, big cockpit, really safe for novice (us), solid with top quality components and it was ready to go at purchase.
For the next boat we need to improve on some aspect without loosing what we liked about the old one:
- Better sailing. Lets face it, she was a motor sailor, we had to use the motor way to much. I need a boat that can sail in light wind, 8kt. Wind is ok, the problem is the waves that comes with it.
- Let say PHRF between 100 and 130.
- 38 to 42 feet.
- Need storage, reservoirs, energy and food to stay hidden for at least a month. Like 100g of water and 50g of fuel.
- A good dinghy and outboard to go fishing (see previous item...). Hey! if it comes with it...
- no intention of crossing ocean, occasional overnights only. Island hoping is what we do.
- Dry cockpit when sailing and protected from wind at anchor.
- An anchor chain pit with outside cover. We have anchored up to 3 times in the same day. This one is a must for us, having to go in for un-jaming the chain during maneuvers was a pain. And power windlass. And all chain. And a Rocna...
- An arch to put the solar panels, wind gen, radar, dinghy, outboard etc...
- salt water footpump in galley
- My wife would really like a swim platform
Just like this was not enough, we want it cheap, under $40,000.
I know it is all about compromise and that most of the items on that list are add-on that we could do on our previous boat, except some major items like speed and light air sailing, we could not fix.
I am not looking for a major fixer. Need a solid base hull & deck, good layout, good engine. Something desirable that will hold value. The rest can be added on or fixed. All a matter of price.
On my short list I have:
- Ericson 38-200
- Pearson 39-2, centerboard
- C&C 40 mk2, centerboard. Is that a race boat? No regatas for us.
- Beneteau Oceanis 400
- Beneteau Oceanis 390, 4.5' draft
- Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40, they are rare
- Sabre 38 or 42, expensive
- Catalina 42 mk1, may be too expensive
So what do you think?
PS: A rich man once told me that it is better to pay a high price for something that every body wants than a low price for something that nobody wants !