Private listing in Ontario question - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-23-2017 Thread Starter

Private listing in Ontario question

Hi, could use some help, need information. Looking for my first boat and found one that I like, it's not listed with the broker, so how dose one go about dealing with private listing. Boat is registered and located in Ontario.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-23-2017

Re: Private listing in Ontario question

Call, take a look, hire a surveyor and make an offer if it all pans out. No different than dealing with a broker except no middle man. I've looked at broker listed boats before but for some reason have never bought one. Always ended up finding a better deal/boat privately.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #3 of 23 Old 08-23-2017

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but you need to start by contacting the seller and initiating a conversation.

If its a kijiji ad, write a short email introducing yourself and express interest in the boat.

If there is a for sale sign with a number, give them a call and say you would like to learn more about the boat.

If there is a sign with no phone number for a boat in a drive way, just knock on the door.

Its nice if you can get the seller to take you out for a boat ride when he is showing it to you, but sometimes not practical.

If you like the boat you can either make a non conditional offer or a conditional offer. Some common conditions include sea trial and or survey conducted by a third party (same as a home inspection).

If everything is good, cash exchanges hands and the seller writes up a bill of sale, there are templates you can down load off the internet.

Then you register the boat with Transport Canada, which is done for free.

post #4 of 23 Old 08-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post

Then you register the boat with Transport Canada, which is done for free.
It is important to know the difference between registering a vessel and licensing a vessel.

This site explains the difference (but not very well!)

Canadian Register of Vessels - Transport Canada

This is the fee schedule for Registered vessels:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...menu-4427.html

Roadkill - Is boat Licensed or Registered?

If it is licensed, you can transfer the license on line or by mail. No cost. It used to be that the previous owner had to sign the back of the license. Not sure how that works now. I was surprised to read that owners are supposed to renew their license very 10 years. Wonder how many owners know that!

One thing transferring license does is trigger payment of OST. If buying through broker they may collect the tax. If private, you may get a bill in mail. It used to take a while before Ontario found out boat had been transferred (Licensing is Federal). That may have changed.
Arcb likes this.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 08-23-2017 at 08:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FreeAgent For This Useful Post:
timangiel (08-27-2017)
post #5 of 23 Old 08-23-2017

Right, you will probably be looking at a licenced vessel, in most cases, not registered.

I guess a couple of other considerations are moorage and insurance.

Moorage can be surprisingly difficult and expensive in Ontario, especially places like 1000 Islands. Other places can be complicated due to restrictions in draft (depth) or due to low bridges. So you'll need to factor in these considerations before purchasing the boat, you've got to make sure it will fit where you want to put it, unless buying a trailer sailor.

Another issue with moorage, every marina and yacht club I've kept a pleasure craft at (3 in Toronto, 3 in the Niagara region and 3 in the Thousand Islands) have required proof of liability insurance. You need to make sure you qualify for insurance before purchasing a boat.

Which is where the survey hooks in. I have never dealt with a marine insurer (I've only dealt with 2, but I think they're the two biggest in Ontario), require a satisfactory survey from a marine surveyor.

Last edited by Arcb; 08-24-2017 at 07:14 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-24-2017

I have bought two outside brokerage and one inside and I cannot see a difference. You still need to assure yourself of the quality and condition of the boat because nothing in a brokerage deal provides any extra protection. The one good thing about buying from a broker is that they handle the sales tax and registration stuff for you.
Frankly, I would rather ask the owner questions and look for the gaps in the explanations....
post #7 of 23 Old 08-24-2017

I bought through a listing broker and they did NOT handle sales tax or registration, which was a good thing.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-24-2017

This link provides most of what you need to know about licensing, registration and taxes when buying a boat:

Pat's Boating in Canada: Boat Licences and Registrations

This the Home link: Pat's Boating in Canada Lots more info there.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-24-2017 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

The boat is listed on the Kijiji, I can't see the ON###### on the hull in any of the pictures, so not sure if it's licensed or registered (I guess that should not matter too much). Boat represents large investment, price $50K+.
I know to get a survey done if I like the boat and my offer is accepted. With no middle man would you hold off with deposit and only exchange cash upon successful transaction? Is there a way for me to verify that the person listing the boat is a rightful owner? and that there is no leans against her?

Cheers
post #10 of 23 Old 08-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Hi, thanks for all the replies.

The boat is listed on the Kijiji, I can't see the ON###### on the hull in any of the pictures, so not sure if it's licensed or registered (I guess that should not matter too much). Boat represents large investment, price $50K+.
I know to get a survey done if I like the boat and my offer is accepted. With no middle man would you hold off with deposit and only exchange cash upon successful transaction? Is there a way for me to verify that the person listing the boat is a rightful owner? and that there is no leans against her?

Cheers
Only registered vessel can have liens, and you can look it up by name at http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/4/vrqs-srib. If licensed I would ask for a copy of the license and prior bills of sale.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in