New boat questions - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-23-2017 Thread Starter

New boat questions

I'm looking a buying a boat but have a hard time getting past the topside paint. Not a fan of the big blue stripe around it. (Can post link once I hit 10 posts, but C&C 35 in Waukegan, IL)

2 questions:
1) I got a quote of $15-17,000 to paint topsides. It's hard to fathom investing half the price of the boat into paint (and I couldn't afford that). Is that paint job way over priced? Could you sand off the blue paint, or is that likely to leave different coloration of whites from from different UV exposures? Any other thoughts, or move on to a different boat?

2) Owner addressed C&C smile himself. If it surveys ok should I consider that good to go at least for a few years, or are there issues that may be missed on inspection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-23-2017

Re: New boat questions

$15k sounds like way too much money for a paint job that's purely for aesthetic purposes. Are you sure you weren't quoted something more along the lines of repairing gelcoat problems? Does the boat _have_ serious gelcoat problems? Seriously, please find out for sure. If I can charge $15k to put purely aesthetic paint on a boat, I need to consider switching careers!
post #3 of 8 Old 08-23-2017 Thread Starter

Hard to pay half a boats worth for a paint job. Seemed a lot to me, but I've never had a boat painted.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-23-2017
ASA and PSIA Instructor

A good Awlgrip job on topsides is ballpark $250/foot so the quote seems way out of line. It is hard to understand what is your topsides issue - if the boat has a white gel coat hull with the blue gel coat boottop, you can repaint the boot top only, diy.

The storied C&C keel smile is a purely cosmetic issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...
post #5 of 8 Old 08-27-2017

Counterpoint: a split in the joint where the keel meets the hull is Not (!) a friendly greeting. Neither is it potentially a 'deal killer' on an otherwise good boat.
There might be several days of work on the hard, by you or by spending your $ on professional work. Likely the internal structure that holds the keel bolts needs strengthening. OTOH, most boats with external keels from the '80's are about due to have the keel re-bedded anyway at this age. And that's when an upgrade to the hull stub and 'floors' can be done.

Even on boats that do not normally have this problem, a crack at that point might indicate a really rough past grounding - likely on something unyielding like a rock. There will likely be some corresponding damage on the inside where the keel's aft bolts are at.
A good surveyor will tell you what it needs, and a good yard can give you a quote.

Stuff like this should have been repaired by the prior owner, or the cost thereof reduces the price of the boat when he/she sells it.
When shopping, you will learn, after some looking and some studying, that many (but not all) used boats have expensive "deferred maintenance" that the seller is praying you do not see and that your surveyor will overlook.

Have fun shopping, but keep your guard up.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2017
Master Mariner

In my opinion, the aesthetics of a boat are way down on my list of important things to consider when purchasing a boat. How comfortable it is to be aboard, how well it sails, the condition of the rig, the sails, running rigging and mechanical equipment also trump things like the color of a stripe.
I don't know the boat, so I don't know whether the strip is painted, gel coat or tape, but I shouldn't imagine it would be necessary to paint the whole topsides to change or remove the stripe.
If all else is OK with the boat, you could always live with the blue stripe for a while and maybe it will grow on you. If not, for about a tenth of your quote, Powerboats in Trinidad will change the stripe color and you will have done some really good, fun sailing to get here.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2017

Maybe it will grow on you
Attached Thumbnails
main.jpg  

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Maybe it will grow on you
Yes, that's the one! Thanks.

Agreed that aesthetics aren't priority #1, but it's also not like there aren't other options. Boat does look to be in pretty good shape, so we'll see.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in