Another disappointment - now on to a C&C 30?? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 52 Old 11-16-2017

Re: Another disappointment - now on to a C&C 30??

Glad you’re back. Keep us updated on your progress!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 Old 11-16-2017 Thread Starter
Nautidawg

Just noticed pages and pages of comments. For some reason, when i loaded this page earlier? it did not show a few pages until later when I tried to get on again....
that said....
post #43 of 52 Old 11-16-2017 Thread Starter
Nautidawg

Re: Another on to a C&C 30??

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
I don't know why a boat broker would waste their time trying to lure a prospective buyer in with bogus photos. They may think that they are pulling the old Loss Leader or Bait and Switch ploys on buyers, but it will back fire on them and only leave a bitter taste in people's mouths.

I've been looking at a boat on line that, I think may be a gem in the rough. It is a lightly neglected boat offered by a widow. The photos that have been posted by the broker show many positives. But there are also some very clear photos of some minor water damage around some leaking port lights. There are also some very good photos of 2 minor chips in the fiberglass of the hull and rudder. There are two very well lit photos of an engine that looks only moderately dirty.
I get the distinct impression that the broker has attempted to post photos that accurately show all of the good and the worst. They appear to be real "full disclosure" photos. If this proves to be true, upon my visit, I would be willing to buy future boats from such a broker, and would refer him to friends. I might even use him some day as my buyer's broker.
This is just good business.

Yeah, there are fine brokers and then there are shady ones. Clearly I have encountered shady ones in 2017. 2016 went well. Bought a power boat on first visit and there was not much that was 'hidden'....lol Never understood the whole lying thing with brokers as once you get there s##t is pretty obvious and then you walk away...it's the waste of my time that bothers me. . Oh well. on to other endeavors I suppose. Been interesting reading all the posts here!

Last edited by nautidawg; 11-26-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: fixed quote

post #44 of 52 Old 11-17-2017 Thread Starter
Nautidawg

I just noticed the above post was edited by Faster....fixed quote. Somehow it is not the entire person's quote, however. It should go to the word "business." I can't seem to edit it myself, still trying to navigate things on this forum. Lol

Fixed it for you...

Last edited by Faster; 11-17-2017 at 10:19 AM.
post #45 of 52 Old 11-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautidawg View Post
Sure. We do know it's not a full disclosure thing but the broker lied about the sole and with 210 (!!) pictures of said boat beforehand, it's interesting that there was not a single pic of the cabin sole except where it was not rotted.
There's only one broker out there who posts that many (usually out of date) pictures of 'their' listings. You would do well to avoid them.
nautidawg likes this.
post #46 of 52 Old 12-03-2017

I can understand doing some travel to find and acquire the right boat. We did it for both of our current boats, and both are C&Cs.

My wife and I sail out of the MA North Shore area. our '90 34+ came from Buffalo, and my wife's recently-acquired 1977 26' came from Lake Winnipesaukee. Had them both trucked out to the coast. Not a particularly satisfying way to spend boat dollars, but it is if it gets you the boat(s!) you want.

I just love C&Cs. Beautiful, well-made, versatile, and good-sailing boats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
C&C 34+
C&C 26
Catalina Capri 18

Check out our Youtube channel!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 52 Old 12-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
My realization that there are more available locally was quite clear once I moved to my home marina and see all the unused and unadvertised "Denial" Boats just sitting around.
What is a "Denial" Boat?

Last edited by Faster; 12-05-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #48 of 52 Old 12-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
As someone who just bought his first real boat in May of this year, I sympathize.

(I owned a little 16' before, but that's hardly a comparison)

I searched for about 6 months and paid for 2 surveys that caused me to back out of 2 deals before I found Tenacious. I live in Pittsburgh, so the _closest_ place with liveaboard sailboats is 2 hours away in Erie PA, and I exhausted all of those possibilities in one weekend, because Erie isn't a very big town and doesn't have a whole lot of boats.

I spent 1000s of $$$ on travel and other expenses. Made a lot of stupid mistakes that are embarrassing to talk about now that I know better. Now I'm making stupid mistakes as a boat _owner_ but I'm happy about it.

So, don't feel bad. Brokers and sellers may try a _little_ harder to scam you because you're a woman; but rest assured, they try to scam men as well. As a newcomer, you have to be careful as the douchebags can see you coming a mile away. Also, no matter how careful you are, you're going to make some mistakes, just make sure you don't make the one big mistake of buying a boat that you can't afford.

As far as this forum is concerned, there are a lot of jerks on here. There are also a lot of people who are occasionally too harsh or whose tone is easily misunderstood. There are also a lot of people who will help you out with advise based on their considerable experience. You kind of have to take the good with the bad. No single post on this forum is representative of the entire community.

As far as your boat hunt is concerned; it sounds like you've got the smarts and the determination to get through it. Try not to let the failures get you down and make it a point to learn from every mistake.

As far as the C&C 30 ... I'm sorry but I've got nothing for you, never even seen one.
I also live in Pittsburgh and am considering buying a larger boat to keep up in Erie for long weekends camping on the boat. I have looked at a few O'day 27's and O'day 28's and all of them have had issues that kept me from buying them. I have traveled from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to Sandusky in search of something well cared for. Even though the ad says 'excellent' condition they were far from excellent. How's that trip from Pittsburgh to Erie working out for you? Do you have any recommendations on marina's in the Erie area? The one in Presque Isle State Park looks nice.
post #49 of 52 Old 12-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkinross View Post
I also live in Pittsburgh and am considering buying a larger boat to keep up in Erie for long weekends camping on the boat. I have looked at a few O'day 27's and O'day 28's and all of them have had issues that kept me from buying them. I have traveled from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to Sandusky in search of something well cared for. Even though the ad says 'excellent' condition they were far from excellent. How's that trip from Pittsburgh to Erie working out for you? Do you have any recommendations on marina's in the Erie area? The one in Presque Isle State Park looks nice.
I keep my boat in Sandusky. If I'd have known about you a few months ago, I could have checked up on the local "for sale" postings at my marina and told you if any of them were worth visiting (you know, the "end of season, let's sell it before we have to pay to store it" rush)

The drive between Pitt and Sandusky is tiring. It's a bout 3.5 hours each way. But I thoroughly enjoy my time on the boat so that makes up for it a lot. I'm dreading this winter, as driving that distance with the potential for winter storms is a bit frightening. Plus, I'm doing work on the boat, not sailing it, so it's not very relaxing, although I'm wondering if it will feel more rewarding.

I highly recommend berthing your boat somewhere near Sandusky. The drive is worse, but the cruising grounds are considerably more interesting around Sandusky. (in my opinion, anyway)

If you find any boats that you want to look at near Sandusky, drop me a message and I'll take a look at it next time I'm in the area and let you know if I think it's worth the trip. Disclaimer: I'm far from an expert, but I should be able to tell you if the pictures are an accurate representation, at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillMoran For This Useful Post:
rkinross (12-05-2017)
post #50 of 52 Old 12-05-2017

Thanks for your reply. I also like the Sandusky area with Cedar Point and the Islands. I have a friend who has a summer home we rent up there in Bay View just west of Sandusky. I also like to camp at East Harbor State Park near Marblehead. Sandusky Harbor Marina is hard to beat for a perfect place to keep a boat with their swimming pool and all of the other facilities they provide.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in