Alberg 30 thoughts - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 Old 11-24-2017 Thread Starter

Alberg 30 thoughts

Hi everyone,

I'm shopping around for my 1st sailboat. My primary cruising grounds will be in lake ontario but would like to be able to trailer up to the north channel if I decide to change cruising grounds.

I've pretty much fallen in love with the Alberg 30. Judging by previous posts, its a good boat but a bit on the smaller side inside.
I'm somewhat conflicted about the cockpit. I've sailed mostly on boats with a wheel and kind of like the protection it brings. You can grab something if heel excessively whereas an A30 would be open. But the A30 is a proven heavy weather boat so maybe my concern is unfounded.

I also considered C&c 30, cs 30 as well but these are more expensive than the alberg. essentially i wanted something that relatively simple (for single handing), can accommodate 2-3 people cruising and be able to take on heavy weather if we get stuck out there and need to weather out a storm.

IF there's any other boats you can think of feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance and happy sailing.

Last edited by Boxerz123; 11-24-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 11-24-2017

Re: Alberg 30 thoughts

Beautiful boat, hate the way they sail.
Dark, narrow and uncomfortable down below especially underway.
Spent a decent amount of time on one, worked on it and rigged it every year for the last 4 summers. Been right across from me at the marina since I moved my boat there.
Would not want to try single handing that one. Would need thousands in upgrades for that. Then there is the fun of trying to dock it in anything other than perfect conditions. At slow speeds it will eventually do what you want it to do, maybe - if the wind doesn't blow it around first.

C&C, Catalina, CS....all would come long before an Alberg for me. First choice would be a C&C for an older boat, what I own now for sailing Lk Ontario. Most summer days it's light air sailing.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #3 of 82 Old 11-24-2017

I agree with Tanski, except the "hate the way they sail" part. I don't like the way they sail, but I wouldn't say I hate it. Like all Alberg and Alberg-inspired designs, the boat is easy to love by looking at it, so I get the attraction. But a "proven heavy weather boat"? No. Just because it is a full keel design with an attached rudder doesn't make it a heavy weather boat.

I remember the boat to be really tender; she would go over to the rails in relatively moderate conditions. She would stiffen there, but if comfort or security during heavy weather is a concern of yours, then I would look at other designs.

And yeah, under power, especially backing up, is an adventure. If you will be on a mooring, that's not as big a deal as if you will be pulling into or out of a slip on a regular basis. But oh man, my friend who had an Alberg 30 would be white-knuckled pulling away from the dock every time.

And the boat was difficult to control sailing downwind.

You've identified some other drawbacks to the boat yourself, and my guess is your thread will bring out others with less than complementary things to say about the boat too. Our own Jeff H is no fan. However, this is your boat, you have to love it. Every boat is a series of compromises, and if after considering the facts, you decide this is the boat for you, then go for it. BTW, many Alberg 30's have wheel steering, so that shouldn't be a deal killer for you.

As for other possibilities, I think the C&C would be a great choice. Generally speaking, they were better made and are more modern designs than the Alberg 30. I also think the ubiquitous Catalina 30 would also fit the bill for you. Not sure what the availability is where you are, but the Oday 28 and 30 would also be a good value. All of those choices would be more comfortable to cruise on, sail better and be a better long-term value than the Alberg. But not one of them looks as good, at least in my humble opinion.

Boat buying is rarely a completely rationale exercise, but I wouldn't ignore the part of your brain that is trying to tell you that the Catalina is a "better" boat for a lot of reasons.

post #4 of 82 Old 11-24-2017 Thread Starter

Thank you for quick replied. All good points.
I sail a c&c 29 Mk ii through my club and while its a great boat, I'd be hesitant cutting across lake Ontario. To me it doesn't feel as rugged as I'd like my boat to be.
I read that the CC30 is a stiffer boat and maybe a better choice than 29. And Catalinas - thought the proverbial best bang for the buck- I feel is also not boat you'd want to get stuck in heavy weather. A friend owns one and though its a great boat for most cases, he doesnt' like being in it when it blows north of 20.

My view of the Alberg (apart from Aesthetics) is that it has circumnavigated many times and it seems like a simpler, more rugged boat than the ones mentioned above. I'm going to play it smart and try and sail as many different boats as possible before committing to buying one myself.
post #5 of 82 Old 11-24-2017
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerz123 View Post
I also considered C&c 30, cs 30 as well but these are more expensive than the alberg. essentially i wanted something that relatively simple (for single handing), can accommodate 2-3 people cruising and be able to take on heavy weather if we get stuck out there and need to weather out a storm.

IF there's any other boats you can think of feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance and happy sailing.
Ditto to Tanski's comments.

Having owned both a C&C 30 Mark I and a CS 36T, both brands offer some excellent model choices, choosing depends on your budget.

The C&C 30 Mark I is a wonderful sailing boat, fast yet sturdy and stiff. Limitations are down below is a little basic and probably includes a gas engine, but for $15,000 you should be able to get a very nice example to enjoy.

The CS 30 is also a nice sailor, faster than the C&C and more featured down below (propane stove, pressure hot water, more room...) and with a diesel, you should be able to a very nice example for $30,000 or so.

I loved my C&C 30, and would be happy to be sailing one again, but for any cruising a boat like the CS30 is well worth the extra money...if you can swing it.

Certified...in several regards...
post #6 of 82 Old 11-24-2017

Plenty of boats have circumnavigated that I wouldn't really say were fit for the task. A Catalina 27 being one that springs to mind. Also wouldn't really want to do it on a Contessa 26 but a few have.
I'd take a well cared for C&C 29 anywhere on Lk Ontario without a second thought.
An Alberg is not simpler than any other boat out there, they are just as "complex" as any other similar sized boat with similar systems.
I'd also argue about them being better built. I'd rather a balsa core in a deck than compressed paper (masonite) Also not a big fan of an encapulated iron keel. Watch out for the laminated deck beam in Pre 70 models.
There is also chain plate issues. My friends was dismasted before she bought it due to failed chain plates. This could just be due to age and lack of maintenance, not 100% sure. Did some looking into them when I did a bit of work on hers. Due to deck leaks the galley had rotted out.
Unless the winches have been replaced with self tailing ones, has a tiller pilot installed and a roller furler and all lines lead aft I'd also be looking for another boat to sail solo. Would be expensive upgrades.
Oh ya also be careful of rudder rot on older models, was another repair done to this one.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!

Last edited by Tanski; 11-24-2017 at 05:53 PM.
post #7 of 82 Old 11-24-2017 Thread Starter

I did week-long sailing course on a CS 30. there were 4 of us on the boat and it was pretty comfortable and was great for cruising/living. Wasn't a bad sailor either from what I remember. Problem is they start from $30k upwards. My budget is around $15k-20k plus another $5 for upgrades. CS would put me way over. Love the 36T.
post #8 of 82 Old 11-24-2017
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerz123 View Post
I did week-long sailing course on a CS 30. there were 4 of us on the boat and it was pretty comfortable and was great for cruising/living. Wasn't a bad sailor either from what I remember. Problem is they start from $30k upwards. My budget is around $15k-20k plus another $5 for upgrades. CS would put me way over. Love the 36T.
If a C&C 30 is what you can afford, than go for it...don't complicate the effort thinking about CS30's...In that price range, the only other model I'd consider is a Tartan 30...

Certified...in several regards...
post #9 of 82 Old 11-24-2017

I have spent quite a bit of time around the Alberg designs, I had a neighbour who lived aboard a 30 and I have a brother that trailer sails his 22 successfully, with wife and 2 kids, although I think they limit their trips to just a couple of nights when its the whole gang. I kind of like them personally.

They do heel over a lot, but they are intended to. It was a design feature that was intended to over come an obsolete racing rule that favored short waterlines, I'm sure some one may correct me on that, but I think that's the basic principle. Once they are heeled over though, they seem to sail well enough to me. They can be a bit wet an unnerving for the uninitiated, but they seem to do what they were designed to do to me.

I don't think an Alberg 30 would be a perfect fit for your situation, based on what you put above though. Here are my thoughts.

-Trailering an Alberg 30, I know its possible, but they are big boats for that sort of thing. Maybe a guy who tows things for a living would be good with it, but it would terrify me, even just from Toronto to Midland.
-They aren't the best upwind performers, which I think would be a pain in southern Georgian Bay. The channels between the islands are just so narrow in places, I think youd be motoring a lot.
-Most of the more affordable Alberg 30s seem to have atomic 4s, which are gas in boards and they are old gas in boards. They aren't the worst (I had a G30 with one) but gas inboards aren't my, or a lot of other peoples favourite motors.

If you want something that can be loaded on a trailer, that sails upwind okay, can handle a bit of weather and are cheap as dirt in southern Ontario, two boats come to my mind. A Grampian 26 and a Tanzer 26. Check them out, they might have almost as much interior space as an Alberg 30 too.
post #10 of 82 Old 11-25-2017

hello mY name is Arsen) I am a new member here )) thanks for your post , nice to meet you all here, in this web site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in