Bayfield info needed - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2018 Thread Starter

Bayfield info needed

Have attempted to join the Bayfield owners group on Yahoo - twice - without success.
Trying to evaluate a Bayfield 45. Not a lot of info on this brand on the internet. Any Bayfield owners here I can quiz?

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-11-2018
Senior Moment Member

Re: Bayfield info needed

Never owned one but I knew the local broker that sold them BITD.

Very well built, slow boats. Ray sold several brands including some very well performing ones but he always had a Bayfield as his personal boat. Retired with a 32'.

FWIW.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-11-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Bayfield info needed

Thank you Sloop JonB. Have communicated with numerous owners away from here and the stories are consistent - “would purchase again” and the word “love” comes up regularly.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

post #4 of 4 Old 03-04-2018

My wife and I purchased a ‘40 in 2014. We have 2 dogs and two teenage daughters so the 40 was the best boat for room, looks, and would meet our future needs for Caribbean cruising. We had her on Lake Champlain for 3 years and sailed her back to Canada last summer. We love the sail options the Ketch rig provides. And the Westerbeke diesel is a workhorse. The prop was upgraded and they really push well. She’s a very stable boat and really comes into her best in +15k winds. We find her quite easy to maneuver in spite of her long keel and length. Two areas of concern are the small cockpit when hosting friends and access to the engine and bilge areas. We are the 3rd owners and both previous owners have taken her to the Caribbean and back to Canada through the canals. The 5’ draft makes this possible. Good luck.

Scott
S/V Celtic Song

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in