Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
Banned

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

I don't know, going 20+ knots down waves and having the choice of only 1° or 10° steering increments, plus the delay of moving back through those increments to swing the rudders? That's like steering a bicycle down a steep winding street holding string attached to the handlebars.

No thanks. I'd MUCH rather hand-steer and have a feel for what the boat is doing.

PS - Just saw your remote. It looks like it's not incrementally constrained like the helm controller (though I don't see any details on how those p/s buttons work). Still - no thanks. Not in those conditions. But it doesn't really matter because I'd likely have a drogue out and be going WAY slower than they were. So it wouldn't be nearly as much an issue.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-23-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Don't knock it until you have tried it. They are not bad. I ran a 60 foot stern trawler with one (not a B&G) and I never ever used the wheel. It was good for the owners because they could drop a crewman. Basically I could run the crane and drive the boat at the same time. Which left one man to run the net hauler and one to haul the net (2 crew plus myself). The unit I had also had gear controls but no throttle. So you would set the throttles on the bridge, walk back to the crane, left hand on the remote control, right on the crane Joy. We hauled nets in some pretty rough conditions, granted, not at any kind of speed, but net hauling is not easy because you need to back into the seas so you don't blow over your trawl.

Keep in mind, in your vid, the cruisers aren't in control, they have a pro skipper with them (I think).
post #93 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
Banned

Yeah, as I said, I have no problem using the AP and/or a remote at much lower speeds. I've done a few thousand miles of that. And though I never quite got around to connecting it, I could have used our iPads/iPhones as AP controllers/repeaters with our iNavX/iMux setup. I would have loved that.

So, I'm all about the AP. Just not at speed in big waves...while relying on Bluetooth. Nope.

PS - I'm saying these things from the perspective of my experience on monos (and a beachcat). Maybe the cruising cat folks will tell me it's different with more responsive multis. I don't know. We'll see.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-23-2018 at 11:35 PM.

post #94 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Thrill rides down big wave face can reach a point where it's not so good. 35 ft breaking following sea like what's common off the West coast can broach or bury most vessels regardless of expert steering.Comes a point where you turn about if you can and dodge under power until things improve. If you are North Atlantic you hope you don't ice up and roll. Lots can go wrong ,drogues chafe, loss of power .Capsizing your cat because you think it's invincible and you tube is all just tells me you need some real experience before I get impressed.
outbound and seabeau like this.
post #95 of 577 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
In a tornado.
There was another cruising cat that flipped at anchor in Greece around 2011. It was a bad storm. One crew member was trapped inside, but was rescued by a very brave guy from the local yacht club.

I think it was a Prout Snowgoose from memory.

Formally noelex77, but I cannot access that account.
post #96 of 577 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Are there any reasonably sized cats with a centerline master berth that you can approach from the side, like a human and not like a dog climbing into it's dog house? I know centerlines don't make good sea berths, but we all spend hundreds of times more nights at anchor than overnight at sea. My current is the first boat I didn't have to climb in from the end and it's a real game changer.
I don't "hate" Catamarans but, I have no desire to own one. I usually do at least two charters a year in the off season on them As it is my gals preference. So have been on twenty or more over the years.

The bunks are one of my biggest bugaboos about them. Every Cat we have been on requires a climb into the bunk. At first it may not seem so bad. May be fine if you are a twenty something but, it gets old (no pun intended) as you get older and have to answer natures call several times a night. I find myself at the end of a ten day charter looking forward to using a normal bed and appreciate the ease of getting in and out of the bunk on my own monohull. That's if you have no injuries like a pulled muscle which can make getting in and out of the bunk on the Cat extremely painful. We also have to make sure the layout of the bunk on our charter allows for each of us to worm out of it individually and not have to climb over each other. Which is not fun for either person.
SanderO likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 577 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Sure, but on autopilot can mean a lot of different things. Were they in the salon watching reruns of gilligans island on autopilot, or did they have someone standing by the over ride. Surfing at 27 knots in a cruising cat, they would be pretty foolish not to have somebody keeping a close eye on things, whether they were lucky enough to survive or not.

https://ww2.bandg.com/product/triton...ot-controller/
I'm not sure why the Triton AP controller was linked, or what it means, but we have a modern B&G/Simrad autopilot. If you haven't used one of the new AP's recently, you may be surprised at how well they anticipate, adjust, and steer. Better than me in pretty much all conditions. Definitely better than me in all conditions for more than an hour.

The newer autopilots, particularly those from B&G and NKE, are quite different beasts than in the old days (5 years ago). They use 9-axis rate compasses (ours even uses heave in its calculations, along with pitch and roll), accept 100hz data from all instrumentation, and have fast computers using steering and prediction algorithms developed from RTW southern ocean racing. These are the same AP's the Volvo and other race boats are using, only they have some specialized software specifically tailored to their boats and polars.

Not all current AP's are like this (Garmin appears to be atrocious), but B&G and NKE definitely are.

Mark

Edit: I see now that this AP controller shows in the video. While I wouldn't be doing those speeds in that boat, I would have no problem letting this AP have complete control. It is better than I am. Remotes are useless for instantaneous steering, like one is proposing necessary in the video conditions. They are fine for course changes, dodging, and the like - but not as a substitute for hand steering in large conditions. Leave that to the AP.
smackdaddy likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Last edited by colemj; 02-24-2018 at 08:04 AM.
post #98 of 577 Old 02-24-2018

Colemj, if you are telling me you have had one of the above mentioned autopilots steer you out of a broach or a steering linkage failure at 27 knots in a cruising cat, I am going to have to take your word for it.
post #99 of 577 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Notice anything?

So, again, all these various dictums about what's good and bad for ocean crossings are FAR more blurred than has been traditionally painted on sailing forums. There are a hell of a lot of swept-back spreaders out there. I would just much prefer mine to be on a multi.
This aspect is less extreme in a catamaran because of the beam. The spreaders sweep to an angle to the chainplates. The chainplates on a catamaran are much further out, so the sweep angle is less acute.

I agree that swept spreaders are no problem in any boat, but they are even less of a problem on a catamaran.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #100 of 577 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

The newer autopilots, particularly those from B&G and NKE, are quite different beasts than in the old days (5 years ago). They use 9-axis rate compasses (ours even uses heave in its calculations, along with pitch and roll), accept 100hz data from all instrumentation, and have fast computers using steering and prediction algorithms developed from RTW southern ocean racing. These are the same AP's the Volvo and other race boats are using, only they have some specialized software specifically tailored to their boats and polars.

Mark
This is interesting and I would love to sail on a similar boat to mine with one of the newer pilots.

In the end the AP is driving the rudder position and all that data is distilled to turns to port or starboard. There may be software which can adapt to more or less constant eave patterns... and so anticipate turns and so forth. It's hard for me to conceptualize how confused seas and gust data can be correlated into better tracking. Sure locking the helm in one position is a bad solution to steering a course.

My old Alpha does have yaw settings and "speed of response" and I can see it making lots of corrections depending on how I set the "response" and yaw. It does S at times and it seems that a helmsman could do better.... and I often hand steer in those crazy conditions... It's kinda fun. but not for more than an hr... and they I let the AP steer.

A lot depends on the boat's hull LWL, weight and of course the conditions.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in