Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 577 Old 02-24-2018

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Mark - can you explain the more subtle differences in docking between a two-engine cat and a mono? I have to admit I was never the perfect docker on our mono. We always backed into slips, and ~5% of the time I would be carrying too much speed, or not aligned correctly, or whatever.

It seems you have much more fine control over a cat - both in terms of the engines, but also in terms of dealing with the momentum. Being able to literally spin the boat on a dime, and not have to mess with back-and-fill like on a mono, sounds pretty dreamy.
There is no subtle difference between the two - the difference is night and day, black and white. With two engines 20' apart, you can make the boat do a tango through a corkscrew. Strong cross winds are the only thinking one really needs to do because of the extra windage. Our catamaran made me an overnight docking expert.

Our previous monohull was a full-keel, barn door rudder, and undersized prop in an small aperature behind a thick deadwood (a real "blue water boat"). The best I could do with that boat was hang fenders everywhere and keep our liability insurance paid.

All control is done with engines while the wheel is locked in center. It is possible to use the rudders with engines to make the boat go sideways - once you get the hang of it, you can simply exit/enter a dock sideways like you have bow and stern thrusters.

Mark
smackdaddy likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

Last edited by colemj; 02-24-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 577 Old 02-24-2018
Banned

Man that sounds really good. I'm so over prop-walk I can't even tell you.
post #143 of 577 Old 02-24-2018

Twin screw boats still have prop walk, the difference is, you get to chose the engine and there for which way to walk your stern. You can split, which allows the boat to turn in place without advancing, you can do a reverse split that allows you to walk the boat straight sideways in either direction. You dont normally put both engines in gear in the same direction for close quarters maneuvering unless its windy, but you can. You can flare the bow like a boss with a cat and you can stop in a straight line by using both engines.

Twin screw cats really are amazing to park. The only thing better is a twin jet cat.

Any decent seamanship book will have a chapter on twin screw boat handling, Chapmans Im sure does.

post #144 of 577 Old 02-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Man that sounds really good. I'm so over prop-walk I can't even tell you.
Two engines - one with right hand prop and the other with left hand. Zero prop walk, and they can be put on specific engines so that their prop walk counteracts the torque of the engine being offset when running under one engine. Most saildrives have the same gearing and ratios in fwd/rev, so this is easy to do. I don't know about shaft transmissions.

Don't see how your Hobie can have so much prop walk...

Mark
smackdaddy likes this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #145 of 577 Old 02-24-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Don't see how your Hobie can have so much prop walk...
Hobie????? How dare you! FIASCO! is, from what I've been able to find, a 1973 Spirit 17 catamaran. These were her original sails without the battens (the sails were completely trashed but I had to get a picture with them)...

Very few of these boats were made before whoever was making them went bankrupt. There's really no info about them at all. The boys and I took her from this...

to this...

Beach Cats in Rehab ? Part 1 | SMACKTALK!

I can't wait to start sailing her again in a couple of months.

So, I sail a bespoke beachcat - which should demand twice the price over what the lowly mass-produced Hobies and Prindles are going for these days. And the fact that we're engineless purists like the Pardeys and can easily sail on and off the dock drives that value up even more! And the fact that I, Smackdaddy, own it - we're now off the charts in value!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-28-2018 at 09:49 PM.
post #146 of 577 Old 02-24-2018

My mistake. I'm not used to seeing catamarans right side up. Looks like fun.

Mark
smackdaddy likes this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #147 of 577 Old 02-24-2018
Banned

One thing is for sure...almost 2,000 views in less than 24 hours for this thread. Sure seems to be of interest to a lot of readers.

Hopefully it can stay on track and be fun, educational, and have some of the 80 current readers posting questions and insights of their own. There are not a lot of good discussion resources out there for people interested in multihull cruising.
post #148 of 577 Old 02-24-2018
Banned

Mark (and other multi sailors) - what is your strategy for truly heavy weather? Are you in the camp of a JSD (or equivalent) off the stern maintaining a controlled run that Hal Roth seems to advocate as the best all-round solution? Or do you prefer the drogue off the bow to avoid backing on the rudders?

Though there was seemingly a lot of confusion as to the exact problem with the rudders of the lost Alpha 42 BE GOOD II, I seem to recall they felt they'd been pushed backward by waves. This, in conjunction with what seems to be poor design and build of the steering system on that boat, did it in.

Just wondering.
post #149 of 577 Old 02-24-2018
Banned

Holy crap! Speaking of BE GOOD TOO - they found her...IN SCOTLAND...3 years after she was abandoned off North Carolina after the steering failure!!

But alas, she's capsized. Heh-heh.

Obviously abandoned cats with no steering are completely unfit for voyaging several years in the North Sea.

Duly noted.
post #150 of 577 Old 02-24-2018
Banned

In all seriousness, the story of this Alpha 42 is a cautionary tale that is applicable to this thread on many, many levels. Heavy weather, questionable decision-making, poor preparation, questionable design and construction, you name it...

http://www.wavetrain.net/news-a-view...ng-be-good-too

Here is the steering fix they had to try while offshore in really bad weather - using a freakin' allen wrench for a pin...

I don't think Alpha is around anymore.

Then you have the Wildcat line out of South Africa that went under because of poor building practices and customer/warrant service to address their poor quality. Remember Bumfuzzle?

Yet, after expensive repairs, they still took this boat the rest of the way around the world.

So, lots of good and bad out there.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-24-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in