Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 20 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

I'm only aware of the Superior 54 by him, and that was definitely daggerboard, unless he also designed a special version of it.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
smj

That's the design. There was one for sale in the Bahamas a month or so ago, it definitely had mini keels but don't remember daggerboards. It was used as a day charter boat.
post #193 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
smj

Found it.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1994...ahamas/Bahamas
Keels and daggerboards.

post #194 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Again, I would argue that the main purpose of those keels is protection and not foils.

Personally, I like the concept and would prefer a dagger boat to use it. I never have a good feeling seeing rudders and saildrives several feet below the hull on many dagger boats. The extra drag of short keels doesn't appear to be so bad.

Mark

post #195 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Again, I would argue that the main purpose of those keels is protection and not foils.

Personally, I like the concept and would prefer a dagger boat to use it. I never have a good feeling seeing rudders and saildrives several feet below the hull on many dagger boats. The extra drag of short keels doesn't appear to be so bad.

Mark

I completely agree with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #196 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

One difference I've begun to notice, between mono-hulls and multi-hulls, is multi hull owners are very sensitive and defensive of their choice. Maybe it's because mono-hull owners are unenlightened and misinformed, but it sure seems to run deeper than that.

It's typical of human club dynamics. Identify a minority (and yes, multis are still a global minority, which is different from being the fastest growing segment) and that minority is often on the look out for discrimination or criticism. In fact, some personalities are drawn to the minority, because they love being different and arguing about it. Kind of like a NY Jet's or Met's fan.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #197 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
One difference I've begun to notice, between mono-hulls and multi-hulls, is multi hull owners are very sensitive and defensive of their choice. Maybe it's because mono-hull owners are unenlightened and misinformed, but it sure seems to run deeper than that.

It's typical of human club dynamics. Identify a minority (and yes, multis are still a global minority, which is different from being the fastest growing segment) and that minority is often on the look out for discrimination or criticism. In fact, some personalities are drawn to the minority, because they love being different and arguing about it. Kind of like a NY Jet's or Met's fan.
The problem with your argument is that SMJ and I are the only actual multihull owners posting on this thread (if you exclude beach cats). Maybe PDQ32 (Drew, I don't remember his current avatar name) also posted here. If you would like to point out specific posts of ours that are sensitive and defensive, that might be more helpful. Both of us have attempted to add knowledge and experience to specific points and have mostly stayed out of the silly stuff. Both of us have owned monohulls, and neither of us have damned them in any way.

Using your logic and direction, it is typical human dynamics for a majority to view an emerging minority as a threat and to suppress that minority using false information and sweeping generalization.

But that doesn't sound like you, does it? So why are you projecting a similar line of reasoning on others? Please save the pop psychology for another forum. If you have an issue with Jeff H's thread here, and the specific topics he wished discussed, either stay out of it or take it up with him.

Speaking of interesting pop psychology, who starts, and participates in, the troll threads like capsizing multis, and who stays completely out of them?

Interesting indeed. Hope you kept your day job.

Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:
guitarguy56 (02-25-2018)
post #198 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Good link. Thanks.
Can see why for cruising fixed keels may have benefits for cats but would think in a tri thereís no other reasonable choice than a board. Iíve never seen a centerboard on a decent sized tri only a daggerboard. Is there a reason?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #199 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
I’ve never seen a centerboard on a decent sized tri only a daggerboard. Is there a reason?
Probably interior space intrusion and the supporting structure can't be balanced against a bulkhead well, so requires additional engineering. Daggers are also higher performance, and usually lighter and simpler to build and maintain.

Mark

post #200 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Good link. Thanks.

Can see why for cruising fixed keels may have benefits for cats but would think in a tri thereís no other reasonable choice than a board. Iíve never seen a centerboard on a decent sized tri only a daggerboard. Is there a reason?

All Searunner trimarans are designed with centerboards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in