Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 21 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The problem with your argument is that SMJ and I are the only actual multihull owners posting on this thread (if you exclude beach cats). Maybe PDQ32 (Drew, I don't remember his current avatar name) also posted here. If you would like to point out specific posts of ours that are sensitive and defensive, that might be more helpful. Both of us have attempted to add knowledge and experience to specific points and have mostly stayed out of the silly stuff. Both of us have owned monohulls, and neither of us have damned them in any way.

Using your logic and direction, it is typical human dynamics for a majority to view an emerging minority as a threat and to suppress that minority using false information and sweeping generalization.

But that doesn't sound like you, does it? So why are you projecting a similar line of reasoning on others? Please save the pop psychology for another forum. If you have an issue with Jeff H's thread here, and the specific topics he wished discussed, either stay out of it or take it up with him.

Speaking of interesting pop psychology, who starts, and participates in, the troll threads like capsizing multis, and who stays completely out of them?

Interesting indeed. Hope you kept your day job.

Mark
Mark... About time you placed the trolls where they belong!

Smack and you guys are placing the facts they don't like in their face and they resent it.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
One difference I've begun to notice, between mono-hulls and multi-hulls, is multi hull owners are very sensitive and defensive of their choice. Maybe it's because mono-hull owners are unenlightened and misinformed, but it sure seems to run deeper than that.

It's typical of human club dynamics. Identify a minority (and yes, multis are still a global minority, which is different from being the fastest growing segment) and that minority is often on the look out for discrimination or criticism. In fact, some personalities are drawn to the minority, because they love being different and arguing about it. Kind of like a NY Jet's or Met's fan.

We bought our first cruising cat well before they became popular and had to constantly put up with the occasional abuse from the grey beard.
You know the grey beard right? Has a grey beard, a big heavy full keeled monohull with miles of teak on the outside. They always seemed to take the time in between varnishing sessions to berate my choice of boat and to tell me they couldn’t be sailed offshore. I actually had one of those fellows stop by last week! Their lack of education in the matter still amazes me.
Funny thing, quite a few of those old grey beards from years back now own catamarans or are in the market!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #203 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
......If you would like to point out specific posts of ours that are sensitive and defensive, that might be more helpful.
How about this one, ironically? I'm delighted that you're sharing your experience and knowledge. But some posters have felt the need to provide "disclaimers" before you jump on them.

Quote:
Interesting indeed. Hope you kept your day job.
Sensitive and defensive. Note that I never called you out specifically, nor kept track of who does and doesn't own a cat. Just back it down a notch and everyone would pay more attention and contribute more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #204 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Well, I'm not attempting to do anything really. I think I am presenting more perspective and experience than facts - because much of this stuff isn't about facts per se (like Capecodda's questions and opinions). I have tried to shut down unexamined biases, sweeping generalizations, and bad logic by using reasoning.

It is funny that I get accused of being sensitive about catamarans on this thread, while taking heat for supporting a monohull on another thread.

Maybe the posse could just post a list of acceptable topics and responses so we don't run afoul of them so often?

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #205 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We bought our first cruising cat well before they became popular and had to constantly put up with the occasional abuse from the grey beard.

Sure do. Just like fin keels, spade rudders, production boats and structural liners.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #206 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
Note that I never called you out specifically, nor kept track of who does and doesn't own a cat. Just back it down a notch and everyone would pay more attention and contribute more.
You specifically called out the multihull owners here. That encompasses, in total, me and SMJ. How do you think you were being non-specific there?

If you were attributing those statements to others who do not own catamarans, then the fault is yours, and your statement is incorrect.

Everyone isn't paying attention and contributing because of me? Funny, this is currently the most active thread in the forums and looking to become one of the most active and viewed overall in Sailnet.

You will need to work harder to find where I need to "back it down a notch". Citing only responses with a bit of juice to your provocations is hardly evidence of a thread-wide behavior.

Mark

post #207 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
....Maybe the posse.....
Quite a brand you picked up on.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #208 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
Quite a brand you picked up on.
Quite sensitive are we?

Mark

post #209 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

BTW, that is not a term I understood for a very long time. I only came around to it by thinking of it myself when reading some of behaviors in the posts and threads from the same group of posters, and realized that it was being used by Smackdaddy as a descriptor he felt apt for those posters.

I was a bit horrified by that discovery and attempted to realign my thoughts and read with a bit more of an open mind. I doubled my efforts to stay out of certain threads and topics, and address honest questions and opinions as neutrally as I can. I have disagreed with SanderO and many others on certain topics, and agreed and supported them on others. I have done so with you, and with Outbound, as other examples.

However, I now believe Smackdaddy nailed it. He might reasonably be accused of similar actions, but that does not exonerate the "posse" from bad behavior.

Maybe some of you should read with a bit more of an open mind as to why some of us may think this way (and there is no pop psychology necessary to understand it).

Mark
chef2sail likes this.

post #210 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Interesting that some of the owners of cruising cats consider themselves to be the only real multi hull owners on this thread. Quite the club mentality. I didn't know this thread was specific to cruising cats only.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in