Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 22 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Interesting that some of the owners of cruising cats consider themselves to be the only real multi hull owners on this thread. Quite the club mentality. I didn't know this thread was specific to cruising cats only.
If that was addressed to me, I didn't say or imply any such thing. When "multihull owners" was used to make a point, I pointed out that if beach cat owners were excluded, there were only two of us posting here. I excluded beach cats, and I guess by default power cats, because the posting was pointedly at cruising cat owners.

If you feel slighted by this, I apologize, but do warn that you will be slapped with the "sensitive" and "defensive" labels, as I was.

The thread topic is specifically multihull cruising boats, btw. Check the OP's first post.

Mark

Edit: If you were implying some slight of mine to trimarans, I didn't mean to do that either. To my knowledge, we haven't had a cruising trimaran owner post here yet, and all the discussion has been around cruising catamarans. Cruising tri's are even a minority among the multihull minority. If the Rapido is set aside, along with smaller tris, the Neel and largest Dragonfly is the only current production cruising tri I'm aware of.

Edit to my edit: I also didn't mean to slight proas or quadramarans. Or monomarans.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

Last edited by colemj; 02-25-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

OK gents... the ad homs are just not acceptable. Please by all means have opinions about anything boating informed by your personal experience and media exposure... All fine. I don't feel compelled to support any sub set... and I don't identify with any subset. I am only an expert on MY boat and MY experience... everything else is my OPINION. I think most of the old salts... here are intelligent enough to understand pros and cons especially when they are evidence based... as distinguished from opinion based.

Cats are of little interest to me in the sense of a "next boat". There will be no next boat. I have little to no interest in chartering a boat anywhere... and so mono or cat charters are just observations from living in the Caribe for some years on Shiva.

I am interested in all technical developments which could be of use to me whether on cats or monos... and simply expanding my knowledge base from reading what the members write.

Thank you!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #213 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Beyond the Jim Brown boats are there any current tri designs or tris in production that are center boards?
Would note a friend who sells Corsair in Wareham MA loaned us one for a week. They are a totally blast and quite seaworthy but at 37’ perhaps not everyones idea of a live aboard.it had a daggerboard. So think Mark is right as regards series built boats so the question is asked to include one offs as well.
As a side question. I’ve sailed a B40 on several passages and in light air the board knocked with no apparent rhythm. It was very annoying. Is this much of an issue with daggerboards in modern multis?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 02-25-2018 at 02:26 PM.

post #214 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You certainly don't owe me an apology. .
I think you misunderstood. My apology was not directed to you.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #215 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
smj

Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Beyond the Jim Brown boats are there any current tri designs or tris in production that are center boards?
Would note a friend who sells Corsair in Wareham MA loaned us one for a week. They are a totally blast and quite seaworthy but at 37í perhaps not everyones idea of a live aboard.it had a daggerboard. So think Mark is right as regards series built boats so the question is asked to include one offs as well.
As a side question. Iíve sailed a B40 on several passages and in light air the board knocked with no apparent rhythm. It was very annoying. Is this much of an issue with daggerboards in modern multis?

The old Telstar 28 have center boards. Also appears the Dragonfly trimarans have centerboards.

Last edited by smj; 02-25-2018 at 02:53 PM.
post #216 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Iíve sailed a B40 on several passages and in light air the board knocked with no apparent rhythm. It was very annoying. Is this much of an issue with daggerboards in modern multis?
SMJ has more experience with dagger cats than I do, but for the ones I have been on, some do and some don't. I think it has more to do with their specific position in the trunk at any time, and when pulled up (at anchor, for example), they often have a chock built in or ready to put in to prevent clunking. When down underway, they are pretty loaded up, so that keeps them from moving much. I imagine design precision and the actual shapes matter too.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #217 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
SMJ has more experience with dagger cats than I do, but for the ones I have been on, some do and some don't. I think it has more to do with their specific position in the trunk at any time, and when pulled up (at anchor, for example), they often have a chock built in or ready to put in to prevent clunking. When down underway, they are pretty loaded up, so that keeps them from moving much. I imagine design precision and the actual shapes matter too.

Mark

I have about the same experience as you, only sailed them a few times but never owned one........yet[emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #218 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I have about the same experience as you, only sailed them a few times but never owned one........yet[emoji16]
You told me you were done buying any more catamarans two boats ago.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #219 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I think you misunderstood. My apology was not directed to you.
I must have missed a page. Is this exchange in this thread somewhere?

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #220 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You told me you were done buying any more catamarans two boats ago.

Mark

I think I told you that after we purchased this boat, and I stand by that quote. We have owned this cat for 2.5 years, almost a record for us! We really like this cat and it was super affordable for us and Iím getting to old and worn out to take on another project. Though I did hear of a nice one that may be hitting the market soon.......[emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in