Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 23 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

I remember you telling me that when you sold your old boat in Stuart - before your current one!

So you are bidding on that Superior 54? Looks like all it needs is a buff job and a dusting...

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #222 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

I've seen a variety of helm locations on cats. There are dual helms at each side, there is the helm that sticks up through the aft deck roof and there is the big center helm up some stairs that sits above the salon.

Is one over the other considered a better design for long distance cruising? It would seem to me that being way up high is a longer pendulum, while in steep tight waves. I understand it won't move like a mono, but I'm asking about sea state that is moving the boat around.

I've also seen helms in the salon, but I've not seen line control in there. In rough weather, I assume one doesn't sail from in there.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #223 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I remember you telling me that when you sold your old boat in Stuart - before your current one!

So you are bidding on that Superior 54? Looks like all it needs is a buff job and a dusting...

Mark

Hmmmm, that would have left me boat less, I must have been drinking heavily that day!
No bids on the Superior, way to big for us and way to much work. We are currently still really enjoying our current catamaran. The size works well for us and she performs well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #224 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've seen a variety of helm locations on cats. There are dual helms at each side, there is the helm that sticks up through the aft deck roof and there is the big center helm up some stairs that sits above the salon.

Is one over the other considered a better design for long distance cruising? It would seem to me that being way up high is a longer pendulum, while in steep tight waves. I understand it won't move like a mono, but I'm asking about sea state that is moving the boat around.

I've also seen helms in the salon, but I've not seen line control in there. In rough weather, I assume one doesn't sail from in there.
Helm positions! Now you are intentionally being provocative! Better duck for cover after bringing up this topic, as it splits up catamaran owners like nothing other.

Before continuing, you missed a couple of options - forward cockpit helms, raised bulkhead helms looking through a dodger, lower bulkhead helms looking through the entire boat, and center helms in the middle of the "cabin" (different from the saloon helms you mention because they are the sole helm and sail controls are located there).

Personally, I think whatever floats one's boat is fine as regards to this. I do have my preference, and also highly dislike some - though I'm not sure any particular helm position would be a deal breaker for me if the rest of the boat was screaming to me.

They all have advantages and disadvantages, and owners of each will see these differently. I'm not going to be the one to start on this, but I think I can safely state a couple of aspects that everyone would agree to:

Helms in the aft cockpit take space from the cockpit.
Helms in the saloon take space from the saloon.
Helms in a forward cockpit can be wet and difficult to protect from the weather.
Helms in the aft corners can be difficult to protect from the weather and can be wet in rougher conditions.
Flybridge helms can cause difficult communication and are not easy to reach immediately if necessary. They are also difficult to protect from weather. The boom must be raised for them, and can be difficult to reach/work on.
Raised helms are an attempt to strike a balance among all, but can be somewhat difficult to protect from weather and take up a small amount of cockpit space (highly dependent on design).

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #225 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Hmmmm, that would have left me boat less, I must have been drinking heavily that day!
I don't know about the drinking, but you did say you were going back to land, mentioned your back or knees or something like that, but did say that you never say never.

Then I saw you in your new boat later that year! It is a nice boat and from a designer I didn't realize did catamarans.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #226 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
Banned

colemj, smj, or any other multihull sailors...are there any good Facebook groups you'd recommend for good discussions about cruising multis? It would be great to get more first-hand knowledge and experience input - there, and hopefully at some point, here too.
post #227 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Chris White has been using fixed keels in conjunction with daggerboards for years.

A great picture of the Atlantic 57 Anna during spring cleaning!

And Resolute, an Atlantic 48.
He also has a 54’ design with keels that was built in 1994.

SMJ - do you know which boat that is on the bricks...or what the story is?
post #228 of 577 Old 02-25-2018

I don't do facebook, so don't know about any groups there. Isn't there a SA multihull group? I also don't do SA. There is an old list server group that has a lot of designers and even professional sailors contributing, but it is a total mess: The Multihulls Archives

Then there is the morass at cruisers forum that make some here look like angels. And the MH4us site that is almost moribund.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #229 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Interesting that some of the owners of cruising cats consider themselves to be the only real multi hull owners on this thread. Quite the club mentality. I didn't know this thread was specific to cruising cats only.
Everyone knows that beachcats rule. We're the only club that counts (though I think you misread Mark's post).

Now, do you know where I can get an electric windlass for my Spirit 17?
post #230 of 577 Old 02-25-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't know about the drinking, but you did say you were going back to land, mentioned your back or knees or something like that, but did say that you never say never.

Then I saw you in your new boat later that year! It is a nice boat and from a designer I didn't realize did catamarans.

Mark

Yes missing discs in the back and now my neck, so the sailing days may be numbered.
I think I have it figured out, you were the one drinking to much!! We didnít see you for a year and a half after we saw you in Stuart. Time flys when your having fun.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in