Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 26 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #251 of 577 Old 02-26-2018
Banned

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

On the points of popularity and market shifts that we've discussed - here are two Young Punk couples who have moved into cats...

These Young Punks bought a Lagoon 420 catamaran in Spain out of charter I believe. They have some beachcat experience from what I see on their blog - but not much broader sailing experience. Here's their summary...

Quote:
LET ME TAKE A FEW STEPS BACK ....
Rohan had this passionate idea that he would become a 'Sailor' and live a life where he could surf untouched waves around the world, hit some big storms in the middle of the ocean and challenge himself in situations that he could overcome his inner fear.

How we concluded that we will buy a yacht and sail around the world?

We lived in a wee surf town called Waikuku Beach in the South Island of New Zealand. We brought our first home in 2014, we worked hard and renovated our house into a beach bach paradise.

We loved our wee beach house but there was always something missing! We were not challenged. Rohan said to me "I want to create a life where I can look back in 50 years’ time and share my stories with my children and grandchildren with enthusiasm and courage knowing that I followed my vision".

So, we decided to sell our beautiful beach house (this was very hard for me but I knew that it was the right move). Some of our family and friends thought we were absolutely 'CRAZY' to go out in the big ocean and sail a yacht with no experience. It took them a wee while to come around to the idea but once they were onboard they were all super excited for us!

With so many differing opinions about our choice good and bad, we decided to follow our dream and vision to give living life on the water a go and to step out of our comfort zone. We did not want to wake up with any regrets!

So we bought a yacht ............

Then you have these Young Punks who had cruised a trawler for a while, got sick of the costs and wanted to be more green and bought this 41' 1988 Crowther Spindrift Catamaran

So, yes, more and more young people are getting into sailing - and more and more are going multi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 577 Old 02-26-2018
rgp

post #253 of 577 Old 02-26-2018

Smack... You may want to check out Sail Pending, another family that are newbies on a catamaran and they have some great videos on their journeys... https://sale2sail.me/home/

Followed this family early in their sailing of their catamaran and my reason to have gotten the bug.

post #254 of 577 Old 02-26-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Smack... You may want to check out Sail Pending, another family that are newbies on a catamaran and they have some great videos on their journeys... https://sale2sail.me/home/

Followed this family early in their sailing of their catamaran and my reason to have gotten the bug.
Awesome. I'll check it out. Thanks guitar.
post #255 of 577 Old 02-26-2018
Banned

Thanks rgp - that's a good article. As I'm sure many cat sailors around here suspected here is the cause from the writer's perspective...

Quote:
As we came out from the lee of the Island Wind speeds increased to 27-28 knots and puffs in the 32-34. No one knows the wind speed for sure at the time of the capsize, because it happened so quickly, but we were hit by a strong lifting puff likely in the 35-40 knot range (Later we heard from the catamaran Flow that they saw puffs to 40 knots in the same vicinity). We did not react quickly enough to ease the mainsheet, traveler and jib and the boat went over. It happened quickly and the capsize paused when the mast hit the water. Within seconds the leeward shrouds broke and the boat quickly turned turtle.
It happens on big cats when pushed too hard (FUJIN, ANNA, the G4 above, etc.) - just like it happens on a beachcat when pushed too hard (I've certainly done it).

The problem and solution both seem to be pretty clear.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-26-2018 at 11:41 AM.
post #256 of 577 Old 02-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Yep, that's the starboard engine room. The port side is actually smaller as there is space for the generator above the engine room.
Is all service done from above leaning down???

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #257 of 577 Old 02-26-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Is all service done from above leaning down???
From that pic, there seems to be PLENTY of room to get down into that space (not just lean down into it) for full access to the engine. It looks very similar to the engine space on the Amel on SV Delos.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-26-2018 at 12:18 PM.
post #258 of 577 Old 02-26-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
From that pic, there seems to be PLENTY of room to get down into that space (not just lean down into it) for full access to the engine. It looks very similar to the engine space on the Amel on SV Delos.

Iím guessing quite a bit smaller than the Amel, but theirs is huge!
Hereís an interesting link discussing engine access plus other things that make for a seaworthy cat.
http://seawindcats.com/community/mul...logies-part-3/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smackdaddy likes this.
post #259 of 577 Old 02-26-2018
Banned

Related to this, here is the access to the engine on the new Outremer 45...

I'm not positive but I think those engines are Volvo. The reason he is down there is that the "controller" (I assume the ignition relay?) keeps failing. He's been through several now and says he considers it routine mtx. That certainly seems to be a failing to me. But it's not on Outremer - it's on Volvo (if they are indeed the engine provider).

Anyway, I can't remember for sure if there is also a lift hatch at the stern stairs - but I think I would prefer a drop-down compartment than this access.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 11.25.44 AM.jpg  

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-26-2018 at 12:35 PM.
post #260 of 577 Old 02-26-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I’m guessing quite a bit smaller than the Amel, but theirs is huge!
Here’s an interesting link discussing engine access plus other things that make for a seaworthy cat.
Multihull Mythologies (Part 3) | Seawind Catamarans Blog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll have to look through that one in more detail, but I do like the new term "Furphy" - and it's interesting to see that this kind of age-old debate also happens in the multi world...

Quote:
#3: It has to be 40ft to do blue water

One of the greatest furphies (for our international readers a Furphy is a unsubstantiated comment) I have heard over the years is “If you are going blue water you need 40ft”. I am at a loss to know where this idea originated. I have heard it in monohull as well as multihull circles.

I suppose what I am trying to demonstrate here is the silly arbitrariness of these sorts of truisms.
He's got my attention thus far.

As to this conversation - here is his take on engine placement, access, etc.

Quote:
• ENGINES and their placement: This could be and probably will be the subject of an entire discussion on various engine related mythologies. But for the moment what is critically important is that the engines are placed as far forward as possible, for weight distribution issues and that access does not involve opening hatches that can allow following seas to enter the engine compartment, because once that happens its all over. The reality is that no cat will have enough fuel to do really long blue water passages so we should be using boats that sail well, but when we do use the motors we need to know that if there is an issue we can access the motors in a manner that is safe to the boat and the sailor. More than one instance has occurred of boats being rendered unpowerable as a result of having to open hatches at sea that are near the ocean. It appears that many people are prepared to trade off seaworthiness for the perceived convenience of external access to engines, not saying that all external access is bad, just those which have hatches too close to following seas.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in