Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 34 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #331 of 577 Old 03-01-2018

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Getting rest on any boat is part of proper seamanship skills..Can't see these claims as being valid as to the better rest on a catamaran argument. Maybe the cats attract a lower level of experience and the need for more rest?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
still boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Getting rest on any boat is part of proper seamanship skills..Can't see these claims as being valid as to the better rest on a catamaran argument. Maybe the cats attract a lower level of experience and the need for more rest?
Maybe .... but at any skill level, basic biology suggests that it's easier to sleep soundly on a wider, flatter surface (like an unheeled queen-sized bed) than a narrow canted surface (like a v-berth with lee cloth while heeled).
post #333 of 577 Old 03-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
Maybe .... but at any skill level, basic biology suggests that it's easier to sleep soundly on a wider, flatter surface (like an unheeled queen-sized bed) than a narrow canted surface (like a v-berth with lee cloth while heeled).
There are many other axes of boat motion than sideways heeling. I won't go any further with this line of reasoning, because I've never slept on a cat. Have you? If so, share your actual experience. If not, then you're just adding internet speculation (just like me in this case, which I fully admit).

On the topic of sleep comfort, I think only those who have owned or chartered a cat are qualified to speak.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #334 of 577 Old 03-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I couldn't agree more.

The reason I continue to look for videos is I want to see the different features on the different boats. And I want to see how various models do in ocean crossings in rough seas, light air, etc. Thus far I've been very, very impressed at the much more comfortable all-round state of the multi in even very harsh conditions. It's amazing - creating its own safety factor in relation to keep the crew rested and ready.

Finding informative videos and stories like this is my current mission. Stay tuned.
There was an article in a semi-recent edition of either Sail or Cruising World where a couple described their first long-distance sail in a cat. If I remember correctly, these two were experienced monohull sailors with significant ocean crossings under their belts, but they had never sailed on a cat before and they were excited to give it a go. I think this was a transatlantic delivery they were describing.

I cannot remember the details, but I recall that overall, they didn't like it. Although there was no heeling, there was a different motion that caused at least one of them some discomfort. I'll see if I can dig up the article and share it.

Maybe this cat motion is just something to get used to, or maybe some people are just sensitive to it. To each his own. My own cat experience is limited to some Hobie sailing, none more recent than almost thirty years ago, and one sunset cocktail cruise last summer off of Waikiki beach. I wrote about it here:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...-cat-sail.html

I didn't notice any unsettling motion in my one big cat ride; just a flat sail on a powerful platform in conditions that would have felt much different on a monohull. I don't want my own cat, but boy, would I love to charter one for a week. Not only would the sailing be exhilarating, but that's about the only way my wife and children would agree to come along.
post #335 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
There was an article in a semi-recent edition of either Sail or Cruising World where a couple described their first long-distance sail in a cat. If I remember correctly, these two were experienced monohull sailors with significant ocean crossings under their belts, but they had never sailed on a cat before and they were excited to give it a go. I think this was a transatlantic delivery they were describing.

I cannot remember the details, but I recall that overall, they didn't like it. Although there was no heeling, there was a different motion that caused at least one of them some discomfort. I'll see if I can dig up the article and share it.

Maybe this cat motion is just something to get used to, or maybe some people are just sensitive to it. To each his own. My own cat experience is limited to some Hobie sailing, none more recent than almost thirty years ago, and one sunset cocktail cruise last summer off of Waikiki beach. I wrote about it here:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...-cat-sail.html

I didn't notice any unsettling motion in my one big cat ride; just a flat sail on a powerful platform in conditions that would have felt much different on a monohull. I don't want my own cat, but boy, would I love to charter one for a week. Not only would the sailing be exhilarating, but that's about the only way my wife and children would agree to come along.

Is this the Atlantic crossing?
https://youtu.be/W-41fwVAfVc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #336 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
Banned

On the sleeping and comfort thing, I'm just going by the first hand accounts of those who are doing long passages in the videos I've been researching and posting - with a few of them specifically comparing their times on monos to these multis. I'm then also watching the motion of these cats in rough seas - and seeing what's going on inside the boat visually as compared to what I know goes on inside a mono in similar conditions. This certainly bolsters their accounts.

So, that's absolutely factual enough for me. You really don't have to guess or do it yourself before you draw a conclusion if you're willing to listen to those what are actually doing it.
post #337 of 577 Old 03-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post

I don't think so. My recollection is that the couple in the article were crossing from east to west, not the other way. I'm at work now, so I can't really dig into it, but I'll try to remember to look for the article when I get home.
post #338 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post

Thanks alot smj. I now have 2 hours of research to do!

An uphill bash across the pond on a 2005 Soubise Freydis 46 (yet another brand I'd never heard of). This will be interesting.
post #339 of 577 Old 03-01-2018

Aft berth on my boat provides a good place to sleep while underway. Maybe not so much in 30kts, 50 off, and 6' short period seas when the pounding starts, although I've been known to sleep OK in those conditions also.
post #340 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
I don't think so. My recollection is that the couple in the article were crossing from east to west, not the other way. I'm at work now, so I can't really dig into it, but I'll try to remember to look for the article when I get home.

One more chance?[emoji16]
http://youtu.be/-nn0UrnRG8w

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in