Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 39 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #381 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
smj

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Well, just to be fair: It is nice that none of their 400 boats ever capsized. But to keep things in perspective, Catalina built in excess of 60,000 monohulls and to my knowledge not a single one of them lost their keel.

As you are saying, just one manufacturer indeed.

Edited: Now here's a challenge for someone good at googling: How many cruising catamarans have ever existed in the world, let's say since the 1970s? I am picking this number because I would not be surprised if this number were smaller than the number of monohulls that were built by a single mid-sized production boat builder. Like Catalina which was founded in 1969.

Thatís all the boats Catalina built from 8í and up. Does that mean we can use all the beach cats in determining how many catamarans have been built? And really does it matter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
smj

Quote:
Well, just to be fair: It is nice that none of their 400 boats ever capsized. But to keep things in perspective, Catalina built in excess of 60,000 monohulls and to my knowledge not a single one of them lost their keel.

As you are saying, just one manufacturer indeed.

Edited: Now here's a challenge for someone good at googling: How many cruising catamarans have ever existed in the world, let's say since the 1970s? I am picking this number because I would not be surprised if this number were smaller than the number of monohulls that were built by a single mid-sized production boat builder. Like Catalina which was founded in 1969.

Ouch! A Catalina 30 lost its keel!
http://cruising.sailboatowners.com/c...read/id/203795

post #383 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
still boatless

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtop...2746&view=next

And I concur with everyone that finds this meaningless / unhelpful.

post #384 of 577 Old 03-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Thatís all the boats Catalina built from 8í and up. Does that mean we can use all the beach cats in determining how many catamarans have been built? And really does it matter?

Fair point. We are talking cruising boats, don't know what a suitable cut-off in length is. Maybe 25'?
Don't know how many of the 60,000 Catalinas fulfill that.
post #385 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
Banned

Quote:
But you are the king of google-fu, can't you figure that out?
Yes - I'm very good at it. And yes I could figure it out as I usually do. But I have to be interested in the subject. I'm not at all interested in this particular subject. It's your thing. I'm interested in multi designs, features, capabilities, etc. So I'll leave it to you.

PS - As you say, I've already provided market data as to their growing popularity - with quantification. Just look back at the first few pages. I just don't need more convincing.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-01-2018 at 08:58 PM.
post #386 of 577 Old 03-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yes - I'm very good at it. And yes I could figure it out as I usually do. But I have to be interested in the subject. I'm not at all interested in this particular subject. It's your thing. I'm interested in multi designs, features, capabilities, etc. So I'll leave it to you.

PS - As you say, I've already provided market data as to their growing popularity - with quantification. Just look back at the first few pages. I just don't need more convincing.
I have a feeling I know WHY you are not interested in how many cruising multihulls there are. You may not like the result. I know that you posted data about growth. But if you start from a very low base, it is very easy to grow very fast so growth data by themselves mean nothing.

But, you know, I have really nothing against multihulls. I only got into this conversation because of a flaw in logic in one posting. At some point, nearly 20 years ago, long before they became (according to your postings here) THE THING for your young punks, I was pondering buying one.

Carry on.
post #387 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
Banned

Can you guys tell what make of cat this is? Older Outremer?

It looks like they completed this passage then headed back to Mexico where they bought a tri-maran project and are trying to fully re-fit it as a zero emissions boat. Kind of interesting I suppose.
post #388 of 577 Old 03-01-2018

Quote:
I have a feeling I know WHY you are not interested in how many cruising multihulls there are. You may not like the result. I know that you posted data about growth. But if you start from a very low base, it is very easy to grow very fast so growth data by themselves mean nothing.

But, you know, I have really nothing against multihulls. I only got into this conversation because of a flaw in logic in one posting. At some point, nearly 20 years ago, long before they became (according to your postings here) THE THING for your young punks, I was pondering buying one.

Carry on.
Hmm! The recent Miami Boat Show, the same amount (or more) catamarans than monohulls on display. Why are companies spending marketing dollars on catamarans and not spending the same amount on monohulls?

Are they stupid?

Or do they know something you don't???
post #389 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Ok, one more guess then I give up![emoji16]. Either way it’s a fun read.
https://www.sailmagazine.com/multihu...d-one-hull-two

Great article! Just a snip...

Quote:
As the sun dropped below the western horizon one evening in December 2014, we watched the parting glow from the cockpit of Archer, our Outremer 51 catamaran. We were anchored in Bequia’s Admiralty Bay, our first island stop after completing the ARC+ rally from Gran Canaria to St. Lucia via the Cape Verde islands. When darkness fell, we watched the masthead lights of the monohulls anchored nearby whip metronomically back and forth in the harbor swell. Unaffected by the motion of the sea, Archer sat quietly.

Four months earlier, after more than three decades of sailing monohulls across oceans, to the Caribbean, and up and down the East Coast of the United States, we had begun our transition to a catamaran. We were looking for a change—and a challenge. We thought we might be able to cruise farther into the future on a cat, and we wanted to be able to invite our grandsons and their parents to visit us comfortably in the added space of a multihull.

Sailing and living aboard a cat is, in some ways, very similar to cruising on a monohull. After all, sailing is sailing, and the same principles apply to both types of boats. But all boats are different, as we have experienced when we changed monohulls in the past.

Speed has always been important to us. It’s not that we are racers, but the boat that goes faster gets into port sooner. The boat that gets into port sooner avoids the next squall or approaching front. And cruisers on faster boats have more time to explore their destinations than those who spend more time at sea. On our last monohull, a Saga 48 named Altair, we consistently arrived in port among the top 10 to 15 percent of the boats we sailed with. We met that same expectation with Archer in the 2014 ARC+ rally.

To be clear, Archer is a cruising catamaran, designed by Outremer Yachting to combine performance-enhancing characteristics like daggerboards with comfortable accommodations designed for a cruising couple and their guests. We are not flying hulls and defying gravity when we sail, and we certainly are not suffering with pipe berths and compromised living spaces.

The motion on a cat is different from that of a monohull. Sometimes, it is noisier, too. Frequently the waves and swells hit one hull from one angle and the other hull from another. As our boat mate Tim Szabo explained, “Once one ‘gets it’ … the quicker, shorter motion … you realize it is a sailboat too, but one in which all the sea routines are easier and getting around is much more comfortable. Lots of space to be alone, but together, too.” Before sailing on Archer, Tim completed an Atlantic Circle and many thousands of ocean miles on his Saga 43, Kinship.

But in the end, the biggest difference is that we generally sail about 2 knots faster than we used to on Altair, more easily and also more comfortably. That’s hard to beat!

Rick and Julie Palm have sailed together since 1980 on a succession of monohulls before jumping into the multihull world

People who are genuinely interested should read this one.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-01-2018 at 10:50 PM.
post #390 of 577 Old 03-01-2018
smj

Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Can you guys tell what make of cat this is? Older Outremer?

Sailing dream - South pacific crossing on a catamaran - YouTube

It looks like they completed this passage then headed back to Mexico where they bought a tri-maran project and are trying to fully re-fit it as a zero emissions boat. Kind of interesting I suppose.

Edel 38.

Iím pretty sure they bought an Endeavour 30 catamaran in Panama City Fl. And sailed it to Australia before this trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by smj; 03-01-2018 at 10:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to smj For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (03-01-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in