Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Geesh, feels like a DDoS attack of posts above. Was that necessary?

I'm reposting my query above, as it's been buried underneath a pile of dust. I think a reasonably sized cat would be 50ft or less. Not many couples cruising anything bigger than that.
Since the OP created such a broad topic of a thread, it could go anywhere. The above posts were moved out of the Oyster thread and into this one - just as several people demanded in the Oyster thread (you may have been one of those) - it wasn't an attempt to bury your specific post, as anyone reasonable could see.

To answer your question, yes, there are centerline berths in catamarans <50'. Many of the production cats have these, as a simple google search can provide. However, to get this, the hulls have to be pretty beamy - which is not a good thing for catamaran performance.

Large centerline berths make excellent sea berths on catamarans because there is no healing and little rolling. We sleep very well in our standard queen sized berths during passages, although they are not centerline. Being centerline wouldn't change anything in this regard.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Hopefully this thread will provide a place for such topics as:
-Introduction and discussion of interesting new (or old) Multihull models
-Perceived 'whys and wherefores' of Multihull popularlity
-Multihull Technical issues
-Safety and seaworthiness
-Why you like or dislike multihulls
-experiences with Multihulls
-And other general Multihull related discussions.
Man, this thread is going to go everywhere. Seems like it should be a forum topic, and the listed items examples of possible threads within that forum.

Mark
smackdaddy likes this.

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #43 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
My hunch is the biggest driver for the interest in cats is the real estate and the lack of heeling which appeals to the high heeled ladies. Many others "rationalize" the benefits. That's OK.

You mean the benefits such as
unsinkability ( for most but not all catamarans)
Seaworthiness
Performance
Shallow draft
Lack of heel, which is enjoyed by not only the high heeled ladies
Lack of rolling in an anchorage
Lack of rolling in your typical downwind circumnavigation. (I hate having chafe spots on my ears from sleeping)
Redundancy ( 2 engines, 2 rudders)
Great view of your surroundings from the salon
Not having to strap yourself into the galley
Reaching your destination feeling refreshed and not like you went 5 rounds with Mike Tyson
And yes, the wife may actually go sailing with you[emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #44 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Quote:
My hunch is the biggest driver for the interest in cats is the real estate and the lack of heeling which appeals to the high heeled ladies. Many others "rationalize" the benefits. That's OK.
Interesting reply with seemingly no self-examination with regards to "rationalizing" the benefits of monos, or "rationalizing" the downsides of catamarans. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
But that's OK.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-23-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Dismissive comment removed per thread rules- Jeff_H
post #45 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Was reading another big performance cruising cat capsized recently.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/2022...-Caribbean-600
post #46 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

It is good to have perspective on these things. While the manufacturer called it a "performance cruiser", it was designed and built as an all-out racing boat. It was a foiling boat built light with a huge sail plan and only a minimalist interior (its main cabin is just a small doghouse). It was crewed by professional racers, and built for campaigning in races.

Likewise, the Sig 45 and many other performance boats should not be considered "cruising cats", even though they are marketed this way.

In a similar vein, the Pogo 36 is marketed as a cruising monohull, but I bet most here wouldn't consider it such.

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #47 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Here is another keel lost off a cruising monohull: Keel Failure off the Canary Islands >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News

Seems like this so common as to be a real concern: Keeping Keels Attached in the Future >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News

From the article: "Stan Honey, chairman of the Oceanic and Offshore Committee at World Sailing, is excited. Too many boats are losing their keels, and he is eager to share some of the progress being made to reverse this trend."

Mark

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #48 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
It is good to have perspective on these things. While the manufacturer called it a "performance cruiser", it was designed and built as an all-out racing boat. It was a foiling boat built light with a huge sail plan and only a minimalist interior (its main cabin is just a small doghouse). It was crewed by professional racers, and built for campaigning in races.

Likewise, the Sig 45 and many other performance boats should not be considered "cruising cats", even though they are marketed this way.

In a similar vein, the Pogo 36 is marketed as a cruising monohull, but I bet most here wouldn't consider it such.

Mark
No doubt, we need to be wary of the marketing material in circulation. It can not and should not be accepted at face value. Questioning marketing material makes sense. Accepting marketing material at face value without questioning it, could very well result in being upside down in a 53 foot catamaran.
post #49 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Geesh, feels like a DDoS attack of posts above. Was that necessary?

I'm reposting my query above, as it's been buried underneath a pile of dust. I think a reasonably sized cat would be 50ft or less. Not many couples cruising anything bigger than that.
I thought that was fairly common in most 40' cats. Here is a 40' FP Lucia, does it meet your requirements.
Attached Thumbnails
5481948_20151230033833868_1_XLARGE.jpg  
hpeer likes this.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:

Last edited by ThereYouAre; 02-23-2018 at 09:59 AM.
post #50 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Dock

Quote:
The living space is attractive, as is a saloon with 360 degree views. But the nicest part for me is the potential to do 20+ knots (even if the reality is that your average cruising speed won't be much higher than a mono).

My ideal boat would be a 30' trimaran with the interior of a Tardis ().

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in