Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 50 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #491 of 577 Old 03-05-2018

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I see what you mean about the Lucia vs the Helia. I really like the open layout of the Lucia...

It's a great looking boat and seems to be just the right size for me. It's great looking at these new models because they will probably be the used boats I'll be in the market for in 3-4 years.
The walk around tour is even better... While not the Lucia model here is the Helia in 30 knots weather.

Sorta takes the breath out of the cat haters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #492 of 577 Old 03-05-2018
Banned

I want to get a bit more information on this from the article I linked above...

Quote:
4. Bulkhead Helm Stations or Twin Stern Steering?
Ultimately for a cruising catamaran, our preference is a safe, protected helm station with good visibility and all the control lines leading back to the helm to create a static control station. Push-button controlled winches and windlass as well as the instruments and autopilot should be prominently located and protected within the cockpit.

5. The Flybridge Trend
Getting from the cockpit up to the flybridge and back down in bad weather can prove unsafe. To accommodate the flybridge, the goose neck and boom must be very high making stowing the main problematic. The higher gooseneck position also means that the center of effort is higher which impacts the vessel's righting moment and is not as good as catamaran with a lower boom position and bulkhead steering. Just where the flybridge design will go is anybody's guess but right now it has huge appeal for a lot of people.
It's been discussed a bit above, but I'm still trying to figure out what the "most effective" overall solution/compromise is. Intuitively, I like the twin stern approach (just makes sense to me based on how I've sailed thus far) - but I do like the way Outremer has the hybrid approach (tillers with an elevated but not too elevated helm station)..

I like the redundancy of the tillers - though I do think it's a bit strange to have them there all the time. Are they easily removable and replaceable?

The FP Lucia has the raised deck-level helm as well - but it's not too raised (a semi-fly-bridge?)...

Then you get to the true fly-bridge like this Lagoon 52...

Now, apart from the fact that I'm just definitely not a fan of the fly-bridge, another thing I'm trying to figure out is how they are balancing the sail power and/or the higher-lever arm of that power as the boom goes up. I assume they are just making the main smaller? And if that's the case, it seems like you are giving up a HUGE amount of performance.

Thoughts?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-05-2018 at 11:26 PM.
post #493 of 577 Old 03-06-2018
Banned

PS - I want to encourage all the readers of this thread (I see between 50-100 at any one time) to come on in and ask questions, etc. There just aren't a whole lot of good resources out there for multis (cruising, performance, etc.). You've got a small handful of very cool, very knowledgeable multi owners/cruisers here that have the answers. That's valuable.

post #494 of 577 Old 03-06-2018
Banned

Great article by Charlie Doane...

7 Points to Consider When Shopping for a Catamaran
post #495 of 577 Old 03-07-2018

Not sure how many read this article and reasons why some will never go back to mono-hulls as you would expect once you're cruising in one.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/why-cat

Yeah we know... more 'cut-n-paste' articles...

Last edited by guitarguy56; 03-07-2018 at 09:11 AM.
post #496 of 577 Old 03-07-2018
Banned

Another great video of an older cat in heavy seas...

Sailing Bare Poles in Heavy Seas

The woman on the wheel is doing a great job steering and the boat is well in control - and the comfort and stability from the lack of roll you'd get on a mono is very evident. But I'd certainly go for the AP. I'm coming to believe that an AP is a very important piece of kit on these babies!
post #497 of 577 Old 03-07-2018

Smackdaddy, you seem to be about the most aggressively pro cat person on this site and yet you don't own a cruising cat so I couldn't help but start to wonder about that. Are you in the market for one and having difficulty finding just the right one for you, or trying to save money to buy one or it's just not the right time for you to go cruising? Just wondering why someone who feels so strongly about the advantages of a particular kind of boat doesn't have one? If you're actively shopping for one, what size and type cat do you think would be best for you that's within your budget?
post #498 of 577 Old 03-07-2018

A few years ago I bought a Gemini 105mc , moving from Hunter 33 which I had a wonderful time on for 7 years. The Gemini is smaller than a lot of the boats being discussed, but it is a whole lot more spacious than the hunter, and has turned out to be ideal for my wife and I.

Once the idea of potentially owning a multihull got stuck in my head, I spent a lot of time researching on the internet, including the forums of course. There were a load of opinions out there. There was the 'you'll die a horrible death bobbing upside down' camp. Also there was the 'cats are a horrilbe idea, the motion is awful, they cant go upwind, etc. camp. Opposing them was some enthusiasts, and also a small number of cat owners who shared their experiences. I assumed the latter were the most credible (otherwise I'd be paralyzed with fear of an upside down death After this research and a whole lot of shopping I decided to take the plunge. Thanks to all those owners who shared their experiences, without you it is very possible I wound't have taken the leap. So I thought i'd share my own experience for those who could benefit.

Here's how it's been so far:
1. I'mreally happy with the increased space and comfort, perfect for my cruising habits (a few weeks a year cruising plus weekends and daysails with my wife and i plus guests or my buddies and i) or daysails with crew ranging from single handed to 15 people.
2. It's plenty seaworthy, and handles our interesting seas and abundant wind in my neighbourhood (cape breton, brasdor lakes, gulf of st lawrence, pei, nfld) every bit as well as my previous monohulls.
3. I love the speed compare to my 33 ft monohull. 6 or 7 knots tight to the wind, crack off a little and 8 or 9 knots is easy if you have breze. 10-11 max sustained when everything is right and wind is howling.
4. upwind performance is comparable to any other ordinary cruising monohull that i've sailed on. Points a little better than the hunter (not a performance boat but a comparison all the same)
5. it fits nicely in the travellift at our club which really simplifies the overall ownership experience and reduces cost.
6. hard dodger is awesome for shade in hot summer days or in bad weather. canvas cockpit enclosure is phenomenal in colder weather in shoulder season (i manage to get 6 months out of season, from mid may to late november)
7 it is so much easier on passages with minimal heeling. You don't fight weather helm and can steer with one finger (takes getting used to as you have to rely more on instruments and sail observations to trim)
8 what can i say about on anchor ... brilliant. when rafted, most often the go to boat.
9 I'm pleased to say that, within reason, everything they say about not spilling drinks in a seaway is true
10 huge storage space compared to the hunter.
11 Kick up centerboards and rudder give it an incredibly shallow draft that lets me travel in shallow water with greatly reduced worries, and to anchor in way more places.
12 I love the bridgedeck diesel and steerable driveleg (point of contention with some I know). way more maneuverable than my old shaft drive mono. No barnalces or corrosion or drag while sailing. I did a mod on it adding power tilt/trim which made it way more convenient.
13. Dont have to go down a companionway while heeled to get refreshments from fridge. Did i mention they don't spill - oh yeah, i already did so

In fact I can really say that i dont have any regrets at all about making the move (which is really wonderful to be able to say because my last boat was a great experience as well).

Hope this is helpful to anyone thinking about buying a smaller cruising cat like the Gemini.
The Following User Says Thank You to DougM For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (03-07-2018)
post #499 of 577 Old 03-07-2018
Banned

Thanks Doug. As a former Hunter owner myself - that's great feedback.
post #500 of 577 Old 03-07-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Smackdaddy, you seem to be about the most aggressively pro cat person on this site and yet you don't own a cruising cat so I couldn't help but start to wonder about that.
I've sailed/raced/cruised monos for a decade. I bought a crappy old beachcat and fixed it up with my boys. I was absolutely blown away by the speed of the thing...even when sailing "slow and stable". This started my interest.

So I started researching by watching every video I could of those out there cruising multis - as well as looking through marketing materials - and reading TONS of articles and reviews. After sailing (and loving) monos for so long - the space and comfort of these boats blew my mind. I want to not just "live aboard" - but live well aboard. These boats offer that - hands down.

But, most importantly, it was the "relaxation" at sea in these cats that became the feature that hooked me. There is so much less "drama" on these boats that I honestly see that as a safety factor. I also see it as a longevity factor - meaning that I can likely cruise a cat until I'm as old as dirt.

Quote:
Are you in the market for one and having difficulty finding just the right one for you, or trying to save money to buy one or it's just not the right time for you to go cruising?
Yes. I'm definitely in the market - but I have a few years before I'll pull that trigger. Again, my plan is to purchase in the Med and hang out for a few years there, then head west. I'm not ready for that yet as I've got another kid in school. But that certainly doesn't dissuade my eagerness to research and find what's right for me. That's why I'm most interested in the new boats. Those will be what I purchase in 3-4 years or so.

Quote:
Just wondering why someone who feels so strongly about the advantages of a particular kind of boat doesn't have one?
See my explanation above. And it's only been reinforced by those who know. I know there will be certain differences and compromises - but I'm done with monos. No question.

Quote:
If you're actively shopping for one, what size and type cat do you think would be best for you that's within your budget?
40' is probably my sweetspot. And budget depends on a lot of things - obviously. For example, with the way the used cat market is right now (used prices somewhat inflated by historical prices) - I might still go with a new boat. Prices are coming down significantly as demand and production increase. So we'll see.

I have no doubt about going with a multi. I just don't know yet if that means 2 or 3 hulls. But one is done for me. For sure. I mean, when we arrive at this kind of stupidity...

...I can only be embarrassed for the entire sailing world.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-07-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in