Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 53 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #521 of 577 Old 04-21-2018
Banned

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Here is another great video by SLV crossing the Atlantic. They hit some sustained 30+ about half-way across. Riley is injured and can't do a whole lot, but they both talk about how comfortable the Outremer is in those conditions - while sitting at the table with dishes in front of them - very relaxed and rested...

Seeing is believing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #522 of 577 Old 05-08-2018
Banned

post #523 of 577 Old 05-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This boat has some very interesting engineering and design details. However I find it very ugly... the exterior in particular. The interior looks fine but hardly "nautical". I suppose this is the "new aesthetic" and we will be seeing more along these lines in the future. I doubt people will be neutral on this... either liking it or completely rejecting it.

I enjoyed the presentation.
Sal Paradise likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #524 of 577 Old 05-08-2018
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
This boat has some very interesting engineering and design details. However I find it very ugly... the exterior in particular. The interior looks fine but hardly "nautical". I suppose this is the "new aesthetic" and we will be seeing more along these lines in the future. I doubt people will be neutral on this... either liking it or completely rejecting it.

I enjoyed the presentation.

I liked the interior, but it and the boat on the whole reminded more of a very nice small modernist house. It didn't tick that box for me that a beautiful boat can. Also, I didn't like the walnut looking veneer. But I bet its a great place to lounge around on and gently sail in the BVI's.
SanderO likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-08-2018 at 11:32 AM.
post #525 of 577 Old 05-08-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I liked the interior, but it and the boat on the whole reminded more of a very nice small modernist house. It didn't tick that box for me that a beautiful boat can. But I bet its great to lounge around on and gently sail in the BVI's.
I'm curious Sal, what would lead you to the conclusion that this boat is only capable of gently sailing in the BVI's?
post #526 of 577 Old 05-08-2018

Quote:
I'm curious Sal, what would lead you to the conclusion that this boat is only capable of gently sailing in the BVI's?
He didn't write ONLY, but noted it would be comfy for the BVIs.

It floats, it sails and so it a sailboat... but it doesn't hit any of the familiar notes of what a sailboat is or looks like. The latter is apparently not as important to those who buy and sail this "look"... they want "comfort" and space. Looks easy to sail as well.

Last edited by SanderO; 05-08-2018 at 01:30 PM.
post #527 of 577 Old 05-08-2018
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Its very open, huge windows, the whole back. Don't get me wrong, I'd cut one of my nuts off for that boat. I'm not even kidding.

But based on the open look.. heat loss in colder climates. Huge windows that could get smashed by a wave. Of course, I assume that engineers designed it to work and it would be safe in challenging ocean conditions.

But I really did mean it would be fantastic in the BVI's. But if it was mine, anywhere from Grenada to Charleston.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #528 of 577 Old 05-08-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Its very open, huge windows, the whole back. Don't get me wrong, I'd cut one of my nuts off for that boat. I'm not even kidding.

But based on the open look.. heat loss in colder climates. Huge windows that could get smashed by a wave. Of course, I assume that engineers designed it to work and it would be safe in challenging ocean conditions.

But I really did mean it would be fantastic in the BVI's. But if it was mine, anywhere from Grenada to Charleston.
I see. I agree that this probably wouldn't be a great boat for very cold weather.

As for the windows, with huge advances in materials technology - those "glass" panels are very likely stronger than the surrounding materials they are set into.

http://www.yachtingworld.com/special...of-glass-99196

Quote:
McKeon, for one, has been commissioning finite element analysis to prove that glass can be used to a greater extent in more structural situations: “We still design with glass at 2.3 times the strength of the surrounding structure,” he explains.
Quote:
Bolton explains: “An interlayer is created by using a heat-sensitive adhesive – it is heated in a vacuum. The interlayer floats as a clear adhesive. The structure created using modern hydrophobic interlayers is a game changer.
It's just not an issue like it was 40+ years ago.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-08-2018 at 12:22 PM.
post #529 of 577 Old 05-08-2018

Lots of glass can be very nice... no doubt about that. But it can also be over bright and become hot... hence all the various window treatments we install for clients with lots of large windows. And privacy is also an issue with the interior so exposed. It can be like living in a fish bowl. May not be an issue in an empty anchorage... but in a crowded one it would be.

post #530 of 577 Old 05-09-2018

Think your perspective changes after living aboard for awhile and depending on where you are.
Found we leave all the shades closed when in the tropics. Not just to prevent fabrics from fading but for comfort. Maybe the first few days you want to look around there but when you live there itís no biggie.
Donít like the AC nor do many. Need the generator on - fuel cost and noise. So see many boats with shades closed and awnings up with hatches/ scoops deployed. Commonly see further shading of cockpit even if obscures the view.
Usually only the saloon and daytime living spaces have the glass inserts. The typical multi has the berths in the hulls so privacy isnít the issue. Being in the sunís glare all the time gets tiring. A dark cool spot with the breeze coming in the boat is pleasant.
Think one of the weak spots in certain current offerings both mono and multi is ventilation. Not just talking about mold but also quality of life. I love my wife but often one goes outside and one stays inside if we want space either to do a task requiring detailed attention or thought or just to contemplate our navel.
The concept of single level living is appealing but makes privacy from other occupants on the boat more difficult. Thread here mentions privacy from the outside but private quiet spaces in the boat are equally important in my view.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in