Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

How about this cruising cat? It doesn't appear to be holed, it's not a racer, it's a charter condo cat. It certainly wasn't safe for the sailors aboard even though it floated, they're missing.

https://www.enca.com/south-africa/mi...-found-agulhas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

What about this condo cat? The boat floated but the sailors are missing.

December 18, 2006
post #63 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
smj

Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrusin View Post
How about this cruising cat? It doesn't appear to be holed, it's not a racer, it's a charter condo cat. It certainly wasn't safe for the sailors aboard even though it floated, they're missing.

https://www.enca.com/south-africa/mi...-found-agulhas

Amazing isnít it? Thatís a picture of the cat floating a year after it flipped. Now since you have about as much of a chance for a cruising cat to capsize as you do a monohull sink.....Those hulls look to be quite possibly livable and thatís a much easier target for rescuers to locate than a life raft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #64 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Amazing isnít it? Thatís a picture of the cat floating a year after it flipped. Now since you have about as much of a chance for a cruising cat to capsize as you do a monohull sink.....Those hulls look to be quite possibly livable and thatís a much easier target for rescuers to locate than a life raft.

You obviously didn't read the article. All hands were lost.
post #65 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
smj

Quote:
You obviously didn't read the article. All hands were lost.

Yes, I read about it when it happened. They went through a tropical cyclone, possibly fell of the boat when it capsized, could have lived on it for some amount of time but eventually perished, could have even been shortsighted enough to get in a life raft, who knows. I do love the fact that an overweight charter boat is able to float so high in the water, even after a year.

post #66 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The reality for even performance cruising catamarans of modest size is that any 20+kt achievements will be few and far between, and likely only because it is being pushed beyond safety. All of the youtube postings are more about singular instantaneous speeds surfing down waves than average speeds, or even regular occurrences.

Mark
This is a very, very important point - against what I personally think is a serious misconception by people who have never sailed a cat.

So, Mark, correct me if I'm wrong, but let me lay out why I think this misconception about multihulls and speed can be deadly...

Your exchange above shows a very interesting notion about the kinds of speeds cruising cats "can achieve". As you point out - this is not the kind of speed you'd ever sustain. But more to the point, you really would not want to. It is here that capsize and pitchpole start to become a real possibility. Let's look at an example...

In post #18 above, I linked in a video of a new Lagoon 52 (undoubtedly a cruising cat) in fairly intense gale (F9+). Now, just the thumbnail for this video below shows the immediate problem...this boat is hitting speeds of 27+ knots!

But here is the more critical underlying problem in this scenario...

This is a new boat for this couple. But they seem to be clueless as to the danger they are slipping into. To them, they are "breaking speed records" (back to the exchange in the SN post above.). But in reality, look at what is happening to these bows as they are doing this...

In this sequence that port bow in under water for a full 4 seconds! Just insane.

And now BOTH hulls are digging in.

In the midst of all this you can see the woman with a very concerned look on her face. The guys seem oblivious. Her gut is telling her something - as is mine.

Now, I've personally never sailed a cruising cat. But I have sailed the BFS Flagship FIASCO!

And when I start seeing rooster tails coming off the bows, I slow the hell down. Immediately. Because you only have to go through a pitchpole or two to understand that its not something that you want to do.

This is why, as I've read many times and places, drogues/warps are a very good thing on multihulls. When you're stuffing the bows of a 52' footer, you don't just sit inside and talk about the records your breaking. You put out something to slow you the hell down. Otherwise instead of "breaking records" - you're simply on your way to becoming a statistic.

Mark, smj, PDQ, others who know - what say ye? Are these guys flirting with disaster as much as I think they are?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-28-2018 at 10:35 PM.
post #67 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
Banned

Quote:
What about this condo cat? The boat floated but the sailors are missing.

December 18, 2006
I don't know where you're trying to go with this...but what about these?

Hurricanes kill boats of all kinds. So stay away from them. What's new?
post #68 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

So ,the adrenaline rush ,just before you flip is what some seem to seak. They other end of wha th? is the charter cats in Thailand doing the goof on the reef. FRom our view point veranda we watch rented or skippered cats dance with rocks on the beach and anchor in secure crowds where it dries at low tide. Entertaining .
post #69 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

I dont normally look at these cruising links, but 27 knots in a Lagoon got my attention. It was hard to tell in the vid where everybody was when, I couldnt tell if they were surfing over 20 kn in auto pilot or in hand. Doing those speeds in a cruising cat in autopilot would be pretty dumb, broaching at that speed could be catastrophic, a skilled helmsman might be able to pull a boat out of a broach at that speed, but an autopilot, not likely. Even in hand steering it looks really risky to me, dont think those lagoons were designed for planing speeds.
post #70 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Yes, I read about it when it happened. They went through a tropical cyclone, possibly fell of the boat when it capsized, could have lived on it for some amount of time but eventually perished, could have even been shortsighted enough to get in a life raft, who knows. I do love the fact that an overweight charter boat is able to float so high in the water, even after a year.

Nope, just rough weather. Doesn't take much to make them invert.

And it's great that it's floating high for the boat, not so good for the sailors. You sell false security when you sell "how high it floats".

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in