Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I don't know where you're trying to go with this...but what about these?

Hurricanes kill boats of all kinds. So stay away from them. What's new?
Wrong Smack, no hurricane made the one on the west coast flip, just rough weather.

You love to obfuscate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrusin View Post
Nope, just rough weather. Doesn't take much to make them invert.

And it's great that it's floating high for the boat, not so good for the sailors. You sell false security when you sell "how high it floats".

Itís obvious you know nothing of the incident and even more obvious you know absolutely nothing about catamarans. Enjoy whatever you sail and I hope it treats you well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #73 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrusin View Post
Wrong Smack, no hurricane made the one on the west coast flip, just rough weather.

You love to obfuscate.
Okay...here is a snippet from the article you yourself posted...

Quote:
Not much else is known at this point, other than the fact that the area near Cape Blanco was pummeled by 80 knot winds last week and that it's unlikely we will ever know exactly what happened or why the boat didn't seek shelter in the face of severe weather forecasts.
Look up 80 knots in the Beaufort Scale and tell me what you see.

Here is another snippet from another article that has a bit more detail...

Quote:
The morning of Dec. 11, the forecast issued by the National Weather Service for the coastal waters between Florence and Cape Blanco, the area north of Cat Shot’s last recorded position, included a storm warning, a warning about hazardous seas, and winds predicted from the south at 50 knots, with gusts to 65 knots. Wind waves were to reach 12 to 15 feet, running into a west swell of 19 feet.

“Waves with a long fetch from the south intersecting with large westerly swells can lead to wave super-positioning,” says Sven Nelaimischkies, meteorologist of the marine program at the Medford, Ore., weather station. “If this happens, 15-foot waves can build to 45 feet or more.”

A month earlier, on Nov. 12, the 440-foot container ship Westwood Pomona was hit by a rogue wave in the same waters, a little farther offshore. The Associated Press reported that a 70-foot wave smashed several windows of the command bridge, injured one crewman, and damaged the ship’s primary electronics, forcing it to put into Coos Bay, Ore., for repairs.
F10-11 winds - but absolutely monstrous waves.

Where exactly is the obfuscation? In any case, there is already a thread for the kind of capsize stuff you're posting. Why don't you go post it in there?

post #74 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I dont normally look at these cruising links, but 27 knots in a Lagoon got my attention. It was hard to tell in the vid where everybody was when, I couldnt tell if they were surfing over 20 kn in auto pilot or in hand. Doing those speeds in a cruising cat in autopilot would be pretty dumb, broaching at that speed could be catastrophic, a skilled helmsman might be able to pull a boat out of a broach at that speed, but an autopilot, not likely. Even in hand steering it looks really risky to me, dont think those lagoons were designed for planing speeds.
Watching through the video it appears they were on AP.
post #75 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Watching through the video it appears they were on AP.

If I remember correctly they had a hired captain and crew with them. Doesn't mean they weren't on autopilot though.
post #76 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

I agree, it did look that way (like they were on auto). There was the young guy sitting at the nav station. I wonder if there might be a joystick or an autopilot control there with dodges, yaw controls, auto over ride etc. Not the same as having somebody at the wheel but maybe enough to pull the boat out of a broach. It would be interesting to know.
post #77 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
Banned

Here is the answer to this question in the comments...

Quote:
Lagoon Greatcircle
Lagoon Greatcircle
2 weeks ago
We were on autopilot all the time. It seems to work great...
post #78 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
Banned

Look at the interior of this Neel 45 tri...

Just mindblowing to me.
post #79 of 577 Old 02-23-2018

Sure, but on autopilot can mean a lot of different things. Were they in the salon watching reruns of gilligans island on autopilot, or did they have someone standing by the over ride. Surfing at 27 knots in a cruising cat, they would be pretty foolish not to have somebody keeping a close eye on things, whether they were lucky enough to survive or not.

https://ww2.bandg.com/product/triton...ot-controller/
post #80 of 577 Old 02-23-2018
Banned

In one of these threads I remember our discussion about swept-back spreaders being a major problem for extended passages - not really "blue water" worthy.

Well, above I posted a couple of videos from the Distant Shores TV people who took a Bluewater 50 across the Atlantic...and pointed out how Discovery Yachts bought Bluewater Cats as well as Southerly Yachts (which this couple has long-sailed).

Now as I mentioned at that time, you can see some similarities in the boat types and usages here across this Discovery line (lifting keel monos for very shallow draft, etc.). And I think most would say that Southerly and Discovery yachts are definitely fit for crossing oceans. This Distant Shores couple certainly would - and have many, many times. But in watching some of their videos I came across something eye-catching...

Here is a still from one of their many Atlantic crossings on their Southerly 49 I believe...

Notice anything?

So, again, all these various dictums about what's good and bad for ocean crossings are FAR more blurred than has been traditionally painted on sailing forums. There are a hell of a lot of swept-back spreaders out there. I would just much prefer mine to be on a multi.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-28-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in