Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs - SailNet Community
 178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 577 Old 02-22-2018 Thread Starter
Administrator

Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

For quite a while now there has been a huge interest in multihull cruising boats. At recent Annapolis Boat Shows there has been almost an equal area of water devoted to big multihulls as there has been to monohulls. There seems to be an equal number of multihull boat reviews in the major sailing magazines like Cruising World and Sail.

For some folks, multihulls seem to be the only way to go. For others they hold no appeal. For some on both sides of the mono and multi worldview, this topic is treated with near religious fervor. This thread was created to allow a civil discourse on a broad range of topics related to multihulls.

Hopefully this thread will provide a place for such topics as:
-Introduction and discussion of interesting new (or old) Multihull models
-Perceived 'whys and wherefores' of Multihull popularlity
-Multihull Technical issues
-Safety and seaworthiness
-Why you like or dislike multihulls
-experiences with Multihulls
-And other general Multihull related discussions.

While there are bound to be differences of opinions (and those are welcome within this thread and within SailNet in general), and bound to be some random amounts of thread drift, what will not be tolerated is personal attacks or dismissive comments.

Respectfully,
Jeff
chall03, chef2sail, smj and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-23-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 577 Old 02-22-2018
Banned

Re: Multihull Popularity and Interesting Designs

Thank you Jeff! I look forward to this discussion.
gdr likes this.
post #3 of 577 Old 02-22-2018

Dock

I like cats and wish I could afford a fast one. The one thing I generally don't like about them is I don't think they look very good. However I think this one looks great but without standing headroom it's a bit of a non starter.

KD 860
Attached Thumbnails
Zeus3.jpg  

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ThereYouAre; 02-22-2018 at 07:37 PM.

post #4 of 577 Old 02-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
....At recent Annapolis Boat Shows there has been almost an equal area of water devoted to big multihulls as there has been to monohulls. .....
That's an interesting way to put it. Same area of water would suggest fewer actual models, given the cats footprint. One might even conclude, algebraically, the show was then 2/3rds monos and 1/3 multis.

I guess, I've seen multis there for so long, I didn't take note of a larger presence this past Oct.

Are there any reasonably sized cats with a centerline master berth that you can approach from the side, like a human and not like a dog climbing into it's dog house? I know centerlines don't make good sea berths, but we all spend hundreds of times more nights at anchor than overnight at sea. My current is the first boat I didn't have to climb in from the end and it's a real game changer.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 577 Old 02-22-2018
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouAre View Post
I like cats and wish I could afford a fast one. The one thing I generally don't like about them is I don't think they look very good. However I think this one looks great but without standing headroom it's a bit of a non starter.

KD 860

I donít have standing headroom in our salon, but then again Iím 6í4Ē tall. My wife however does[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 577 Old 02-22-2018
Banned

As I've said elsewhere I'm very interested in learning about multis, especially from those who have sailed or are sailing them. We've had a great conversation about them elsewhere. Now that we have this new thread where we should be able to continue that conversation - I'm going to start moving my posts that I think are relevant from that thread to this one.

So pardon the dust...
post #7 of 577 Old 02-22-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Have you even seen a 70 foot plus cat? Obviously fracking not or you wouldn't make such a ridiculous post. They are about as far from a cruising boat as a mega-motor yacht. They are huge luxurious vessels with circular staircases, galleys for the "real" chef to create gourmet meals, walk in freezers, bars on every deck and most have hot tubs for 8 or ten people. I've never seen any of that on a "cruising" boat, have you?
At 70+ feet you are kinda leaving the "cruising" boat idea for most folks, monohull or catamaran. I've seen very very few 65 foot plus family or retired couple cruisers.
But hey, if you've got the bucks to buy a 70 foot luxury roomaran and go cruise it, then I'll owe you an apology. Otherwise....
You mean like the Privilege Serie 7 or even Serie 8?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how a circular staircase prevents a large catamaran from sailing. Remember, you said that "the husband would miss his sailing".

Here is a 90' Catana crossing the Atlantic...

They certainly seem to be able to sail - even in F8/F9 conditions off the African coast.

So, my post wasn't ridiculous at all. No one has to "miss sailing" on any sailing catamaran no matter the size. I'm not sure which of these boats has the 8-person hot tub - but those can be drained when going to sea - and everything in a gourmet kitchen, walk-in freezer, and even the booze on every deck can be stowed. What would prevent them from sailing?

You certainly don't owe me an apology. But you might want to rethink your position a bit. Your notion of cruising is obviously not everyone's. And there are lots of large cats out there doing what you're saying they can't. Whether you or I can personally afford one or not has nothing to do with it.
post #8 of 577 Old 02-22-2018
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
It's this type of expensive junk pile that's now for sale at the same price as an oyster 60.

No wonder oyster went broke!

https://www.burgessyachts.com/en/sal...-00000955.html
Holy crap - that's a sobering comparison. Monos are quickly becoming the horse-drawn carriage of yachting.
post #9 of 577 Old 02-22-2018
Banned

In 2016 multihulls made up almost half of the overall charter fleet...and about 16% of the US imports. Though the imports were down a bit from that previous year, the domestic production of 30'+ multihulls was up 71% - and represented 20% of overall domestic production (now there's some important stats).

I'm not at all surprised people don't see more in their marinas or sailing areas. Multis are clearly growing like crazy at the top of the market - but they haven't yet filtered down into the used market. BUT it's pretty clear the pressures being applied to the new monohull market. Oyster, IP, Hunter, etc - the list will continue to grow while forums continue to obsess over "proper seaberths and handholds".
post #10 of 577 Old 02-22-2018
Banned

It's funny that this Oyster thread has become a mutlihull thread - but it's actually very fitting if you think about it. As to first-hand experience of the differences in sailing between the two from someone who knows very well, I was going to post these videos in my mutlihull thread before it was unceremoniously locked...for eternity it seems.

I don't think it can be any clearer than this...

Go to around 7:30 and you can see their shakedown cruise conditions and comments by Riley (this is their first real sail with this cat)...

...listen to his comments around 9:00 about the comparison of beating into 25 knots, and look at him and his comfort level and expression. Then continue on to Elayna cooking in these conditions. They talk about he grief they'll catch from chuckleheads about the knives "not being properly stowed"...yet the fruit bowl is perfectly settled.

They aren't even soiling their undies.

Then you have the following video where they talk about the feeling of sailing the cat for a week compared to their old mono at about 12:40...

"How comfortable you can arrive - not exhausted..."

There you go. From those who know. I just don't think there are any arguments left.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in