C&C 30 MK1 Advice - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 07-16-2018 Thread Starter

C&C 30 MK1 Advice

Hi All,

Long time reader, first poster here. Always dreamed of owning my own boat and thinking the time has finally arrived where I am in a position to at least take the plunge on a starter boat. Long term goal is to learn for a few years before doing some proper blue water cruising.

I live in Toronto so unfortunately pickings are somewhat slim up here, however, I found an older C&C mk1 that seems to be in decent shape from the pictures. From what I understand, issues like the Atomic 4 gas engine and mast step rotting aside, I hear this is a fantastic, forgiving boat to learn on.

I would really value the opinion of some of the experts here on this particular boat: kjiji ad ID # 1368669052

looks like the seller is asking $15k which my gut tells me is likely about 2x overvalued. I think ive seen similar years go for ~8k in the past, although perhaps this has a few more upgrades/is better maintained. Any and all thoughts/advice would be warmly welcomed!

Also, does anyone know a reputable surveyor in Toronto or Port Dover (where the boat currently lives) that they would be willing to recommend?

Thank you all and looking forward to any responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-16-2018
Captain Obvious

Re: C&C 30 MK1 Advice

Well I am moving up to a boat like this, and have been doing some serious looking and angsting about C&C's in particular. I would look carefully at the deck and check for soft and de-laminated sections. From what I have read, the 30 has a solid FG hull so thats less of a worry. . Get a plastic mallet. If there is a previous survey look it over. I think the atomic 4 is so simple that you can just check the oil, check the temp gauges and water pump is working, and put a compression gauge on it and thats it. Pull up the acess panels and look for clean good looking keel bolts. And inspect the keel for looseness or impacts.

Best of luck. It looks like a nice boat.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal Paradise For This Useful Post:
CaptGizmo (07-16-2018)
post #3 of 29 Old 07-16-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Sal!

I have requested to see a recent survey however, unfortunately the owner does not have one.

Great suggestions regarding what to check for. Im quite the newby at this so I really appreciate the tips on what to focus on!

Cheers!

post #4 of 29 Old 07-16-2018 Thread Starter

Hey zedboy,

I cant reply to your PM (I donít have enough posts yet), so hopefully youll catch my reply here. Thanks so much for the message and the heads up on the Surveyor!

I totally agree that $15k sounds outrageous for this boat. My research leads me to believe that $8-10k is probably the right price if all checks out, so hopefully the seller is willing to negotiate! The plan is to check it out this weekend; problem is I am very much a newby so wont really be able to spot much... Ill give definitely give your suggested surveyor a call though, their website does seem legit!

Thanks again!
post #5 of 29 Old 07-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGizmo View Post
Hey zedboy,

I cant reply to your PM (I donít have enough posts yet), so hopefully youll catch my reply here. Thanks so much for the message and the heads up on the Surveyor!

I totally agree that $15k sounds outrageous for this boat. My research leads me to believe that $8-10k is probably the right price if all checks out, so hopefully the seller is willing to negotiate! The plan is to check it out this weekend; problem is I am very much a newby so wont really be able to spot much... Ill give definitely give your suggested surveyor a call though, their website does seem legit!

Thanks again!
Before you even contact the surveyor, meet with the owner and take a look at the boat. See how serious the owner is about selling it and how serious he is about the price. If the owner is firm on the price don't waste your or the surveyor's time, start looking for a different boat.

There are a number of reasons someone expects too much for their boat. Either they really don't want to sell it or they paid too much or invested too much into the boat and are hoping to recover their money. Either way don't waste too much effort trying to get them to halve their asking price.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
CaptGizmo (07-17-2018)
post #6 of 29 Old 07-18-2018

I live an hour from you, the used boat market is crazy in southern Ontario, more boats than you can possibly look at. Hardest part is figuring out which ones you SHOULD take the time to look at. Maybe not at bottom feeder prices though.
A marina buddy just bought a Bayfield 30/32 two weeks ago in amazing sail away condition for a steal.
I'm always looking over adds just in case although I'm really not looking to buy at the moment.
Just did a kijiji search for sailboats in Ontario - 621 returns! Then there are brokers and boats not advertised but with a sign on them in a marina. Think there are currently 2 of these in my marina.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #7 of 29 Old 07-18-2018 Thread Starter

Clearly I havent been looking in the right places then because Ive been having a heck of a time finding a 30 footer in "amazing sail away condition" at the right price

Suffice to say, if you come across anything and feel like flagging it to me I will be sure to invite you aboard my new boat and reciprocate handsomely with beer and rum!
post #8 of 29 Old 07-18-2018
Dirt Free

A list of every (242) marine surveyor in Ontario and their qualifications.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
CaptGizmo (07-18-2018)
post #9 of 29 Old 07-18-2018

I'll be honest with you.
Any 30 footer for 8000$ is going to be a project or need a substantial cash outlay for new "stuff". Double that and you are getting into boats that have recent upgrades and won't need AS MUCH money.
There is always that amazing deal where a boat has to be sold asap for whatever somebody can get for it, usually those will be snapped up by somebody in the marina or a friend of a somebody with a boat there.
As I keep telling people, it's not really a cheap hobby! What until you find out what your dock fees will be in Toronto, I kept my boat there until 5 years ago when I move it to the east end of the lake.
sailingfool likes this.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #10 of 29 Old 07-18-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks Tanski, I totally get what youre saying and am not looking forward to dock fee's in toronto!

So in your view, I guess you think 15k for the boat I posted originally is a decent deal?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in