Opinions on these Catalina 30s - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 102 Old 07-22-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Opinions on these Catalina 30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Just remember that all the boats that you are considering, other people have owned, and sailed, and enjoyed. You will too.
Sure. On the other hand, you could say they don't enjoy them enough to keep them..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 102 Old 07-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
Sure. On the other hand, you could say they don't enjoy them enough to keep them..
You can say anything you want, no matter how false.

IMO the vast majority of people who are selling love their boat but want a bigger one, are too old and frail to sail anymore, or realize they donít have enough time to enjoy it. The whole thing about ď2nd happiest dayĒ is an exaggeration.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #43 of 102 Old 07-22-2018

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I had walk through transom high on the list, but frankly the mk3 is hard to come by, at least now. And they are of course more expensive, at least $30k+. If a good one comes up I'd take a hard look...
Take a hard look at this:

https://catalina.sailboatowners.com/...wad&adid=20808

It's for sale by @JimMcGee who is a member here. I'm sure it's at the high end of your price range, but he says it's negotiable. I know from past communications with the guy that he is knowledgeable and takes good care of his boat. If the price is justified by exemplary maintenance, then you can just go sailing and have fun while doing normal maintenance instead of having a bunch of projects to do first (while you're still paying storage fees). Sometimes you get what you pay for (if you do your due diligence).
JimMcGee likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #44 of 102 Old 07-22-2018

Quote:
Well, the very prolific boat reviewer and surveyor, the late Jack Hornor, said that owner satisfaction with the Catalina 30's he surveyed were high. He said that most of the Catalina 30's he surveyed were being offered by people who were so satisfied with the build of the brand, that they were selling because they had moved up to a larger Catalina like the venerable 34.

He also said that his customers who bought wing keel boats and customers who bought fin keel boats reported the same level of satisfaction.

Here's what Jack Hornor had to say about Catalina boats in 1999:

When it comes to affordable, family oriented sailboats no builder in the world matches Catalina Yacht’s numbers. Since production of the first Catalina 22 in 1970, the company has more than 68,000 boats to its credit. "When you consider these mind boggling numbers and Catalina reports that more than 40% of Catalina owners are on at least their third Catalina sailboat, it does’t take a genius to figure out they’re doing something right. Catalina’s designs target the family cruiser, and when there’s an opening in this market they can be certain to provide a product to fit the need."

So, that's the word on Catalina owner satisfaction.

Last edited by midwesterner; 07-22-2018 at 02:38 PM.
post #45 of 102 Old 07-22-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Take a hard look at this:

https://catalina.sailboatowners.com/...wad&adid=20808

It's for sale by @JimMcGee who is a member here. I'm sure it's at the high end of your price range, but he says it's negotiable. I know from past communications with the guy that he is knowledgeable and takes good care of his boat. If the price is justified by exemplary maintenance, then you can just go sailing and have fun while doing normal maintenance instead of having a bunch of projects to do first (while you're still paying storage fees). Sometimes you get what you pay for (if you do your due diligence).
Thanks.
That's definitely a nice boat. As you say looks very well maintained. I'm sure it's worth the price. But even if I could get it down some, it's quite a bit more than I feel ready to pay now (by at least $8-10k..)

Yes on the one hand I'm willing to pay a bit more to avoid working on the boat and actually sail. But I also don't want to commit too much until I know better what I want, how we'll use the boat, or even if we'll be able to do it at all. Who knows, maybe my wife and/or kids will hate it. My wife is very skeptical we'll be able to sail at all with two jobs and two kids. But I'm thinking we're even less likely to if we don't have a boat!
post #46 of 102 Old 07-22-2018

Quote:
Thanks.
That's definitely a nice boat. As you say looks very well maintained. I'm sure it's worth the price. But even if I could get it down some, it's quite a bit more than I feel ready to pay now (by at least $8-10k..)

Yes on the one hand I'm willing to pay a bit more to avoid working on the boat and actually sail. But I also don't want to commit too much until I know better what I want, how we'll use the boat, or even if we'll be able to do it at all. Who knows, maybe my wife and/or kids will hate it. My wife is very skeptical we'll be able to sail at all with two jobs and two kids. But I'm thinking we're even less likely to if we don't have a boat!
BTDT. Purchase price (initiation fee) and maintenance/storage (club dues) go down fast when you go smaller. I bought a 12 year old Catalina 250 that I kept 12 minutes from home on the Delaware River, daysailed with occasional weekend for 6 years, then went bigger and moved to the Chesapeake. I sold the C250 in less than a week for <$1000 less than I bought her for. Slip fees $1000 per year, winter storage $300 per year. In that 6 years my savings vs a bigger boat were huge, and I was able to test the waters without abandoning the kids.

Others would disagree, but Iím all for reducing risk by going smaller/newer, which in the end will be easier to sell.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

post #47 of 102 Old 07-22-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The wing keel is a very poor choice for the Chesapeake. Wing keels are much harder to free when they run aground especially in the mud bottoms that are common on the Bay.

Jeff
I was just thinking the very same thing. Everone goes aground in the Chesapeake eventually. I would think a wing keel would be harder to get offl

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #48 of 102 Old 07-23-2018

Wing VS Fin comes up a lot on this forum.

I've seen scuttlebutt and generalizations repeated as gospel that don't match my experience sailing a boat with a wing keel.

The following is specific to the Catalina 30 the original poster was asking about.

You give up pointing and performance going with a wing.
Umm, No. You really don't unless you're a competitive one design racer.

The theoretical performance difference between the C30 fin and C30 wing is 3 seconds per mile; or about two minutes difference in six hours of sailing.

That's significant only to one design racers. In the real world sails aren't new, halyards have stretch, you carry a lot of "stuff" on board and you're not constantly adjusting sail shape. In the real world you occasionally tweak the sails, have conversations with guests and some of us (ahem) won't have perfect form when we tack.

So there is no real world performance difference. This may not be true of all brands/models with wing keels, bu Gerry Douglas did a good job keeping things equal on the C30.

Wing Keels are harder to get off if you go aground
I have a lot of respect for Jeff, but his anecdotal evidence doesn't match my ten years of experience sailing a wing in the VERY shallow waters of Barnegat Bay, where going aground at some point is pretty much guaranteed. If you release your sheets quickly, fire up the motor and take your time easing her off I haven't had a problem.

The wing keel exposes your rudder in a grounding
I can't speak for other models but on the C30 the rudder is shorter than the keel (at least on my 1995).

Advantages
Obviously being able to sail and anchor in shallower waters.

But another positive is that she sits 16 inches lower when on the hard. That may not sound like much until you hit the end of a long day doing maintenance and there's three less rungs you have to climb to get back on the boat with 50 year old knees. Even less than that if you have an open transom.

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMcGee For This Useful Post:
Scandium (07-31-2018)
post #49 of 102 Old 07-29-2018

The C30 is a great boat. I've been racing on one, OPB, for 10 years now and it just keeps on being a joy. If you want to cruise with the least fuss, get a good survey! Balancing initial cost vs spending money to work on the boat will be easier if you know what you are getting into. We owned an E35 for a while and learned what we did and didn't want to do. We sold it for a small loss, but the lessons were priceless. Have your wife take a look at the boat. I suspect her instincts and feelings will make a significant difference to your ownership experience. And don't worry about the horsepower. We motor sailed 400 miles up the California coast with just 11 HP. What's your hurry? It's a sailboat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuna Driver For This Useful Post:
Scotty C-M (07-30-2018)
post #50 of 102 Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone chiming in.
This mk 3 is from a member here and also a nice option on the upper end of my budget, but might be worth it..? Also bit further from me so more commitment to check out.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...MkIII-3096744/
1995, $33k, NJ

Bimini etc, running rig (and sails?) is ~6 years old. Looks good with lots of maintenance listed, even if 2012 is a while ago now.. Not tall rig, but is wing keel (which I now don't know if should be a plus or minus.. ) But looks like a really nice boat, mk 3 at a great price!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in