Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 08-15-2018

Re: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 39i

Congratulations!

The boat sounds very nice.

Hopefully the furler and winch problem are from lack of use. When my boat was sea trialed (it had been sitting for about 6 months) the furler didn't work either. The sail went out but not back in. The broker and surveyor dropped the sail to the deck. We motored back to the marine. The broker grabbed a tech and he lubed EVERYTHING. Then we hoisted the sail and furled it a few times. No more problem.

Good thing we did that b/c on the delivery home we had 30 kts of wind behind us and I had to furl the sail! it took some effort but it worked.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 08-18-2018 Thread Starter

Apparently the Broker's tech resolved both issues easily. They found the job halyard was extremely tight, (one of the dangers of a power halyard winch), and after flushing the bearings out it works smoothly. The primary winch problem was that the stripper was rotating freely, and I guess that was an easy fix too. I still think I will do a strip and clean on the winches, as I doubt that has been done since the boat was new.

Everything is good to go, and we will be taking possession early next week!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
jephotog and BarryL like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #13 of 23 Old 08-18-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

That's a nice looking boat!! Congratulations!

post #14 of 23 Old 08-18-2018

I love that boat, wanted to buy one but it would not fit in our slip. Congrats

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #15 of 23 Old 08-20-2018

Congratulations, Very nice boat, a friend has an '06 36iP that I really enjoy sailing, with it's weight and the deep bulb keel it is really stable in rough surface conditions.
The engine box is so well insulated you can't hear the engine at the helm, on that note, the blower is located right above the engine in an exhaust mode (very effective) it should turn on with ignition key but because you can't hear it you often don't know if it's failed.
The sail cover is a factory item available at reasonable price from Jeanneau factory parts here, it's only weakness is the zipper, the stiches in it pull out under pressure when your zipping it up, handle with care. It will also roll up easily if you are going racing or just getting serious.
I don't believe you can start the engine with the house bank on the French boats which eliminates a redundancy many of us have put to use in a pinch, so you want to maintain a nice well charged start battery.
Attached Thumbnails
sailing 067.JPG  

"Just call me TB"
post #16 of 23 Old 08-20-2018

Several years back we had a timeshare on a Jeanneau 40.3 in Belmont Harbor (Chicago) from Pinnacle Yachts. Not exactly the same boat as a 39i, but pretty close. It was a terrific experience - 'Cherish the Day' sailed well, even with in mast furling. It would rise up to speed in 18 knots of wind and really move. It also handled the box waves of Lake Michigan without too much hobby-horsing. The cabin interior was beautiful - though we spent much of our time in the cockpit.

Yes, you will need to practice docking - we sure did. My wife has a bad ankle, and leaping down from that high freeboard to loop a spring line on a cleat just wasn't going to happen. But the boat handles so well that I usually was able to bring us to a stop by the finger and she would gently step down. I say 'usually' - there were times when we came to a stop three feet off the finger, and I had to back up and take another run.

Enjoy! Oh - SchockT, if it were next summer when we move to the Olympic Pen I'd take a close look at your 30T.

https://www.pinnacleyachts.com/fleet_08_so403.php

Last edited by sparrowe; 08-20-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Add link
post #17 of 23 Old 08-20-2018 Thread Starter

It's interesting you should mention the engine room fan as I discussed it with the mechanic who inspected the engine. Exhaust blowers are required on gasoline engines to exhaust any explosive vapors that may have accumulated. Diesel engines don't need this precaution, so why the fan? Apparently it has to do with how tightly sealed the engine compartment is, and the desire to provide more air to the engine for better combustion, so it is actually a supply fan not an exhaust fan.

I noticed during the sea trial that the stack pack mainsail cover didn't seem terribly robust, but I am sure we can repair and upgrade it if necessary, the wife is pretty handy with the sewing machine!

It was strange having to use 2 mast steps to reach the sail and unzip the bag. The stack pack system is certainly a necessity! I can understand the appeal of the in mast furling....but I still wouldn't want it!

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #18 of 23 Old 08-20-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowe View Post
Several years back we had a timeshare on a Jeanneau 40.3 in Belmont Harbor (Chicago) from Pinnacle Yachts. Not exactly the same boat as a 39i, but pretty close. It was a terrific experience - 'Cherish the Day' sailed well, even with in mast furling. It would rise up to speed in 18 knots of wind and really move. It also handled the box waves of Lake Michigan without too much hobby-horsing. The cabin interior was beautiful - though we spent much of our time in the cockpit.

Yes, you will need to practice docking - we sure did. My wife has a bad ankle, and leaping down from that high freeboard to loop a spring line on a cleat just wasn't going to happen. But the boat handles so well that I usually was able to bring us to a stop by the finger and she would gently step down. I say 'usually' - there were times when we came to a stop three feet off the finger, and I had to back up and take another run.

Enjoy! Oh - SchockT, if it were next summer when we move to the Olympic Pen I'd take a close look at your 30T.

https://www.pinnacleyachts.com/fleet_08_so403.php
Yeah I think it will be interesting docking on port side as the engine controls are on the starboard, necessitating use of the starboard helm for docking...13ft away from the port side!

There is a Sunfast 40 moored close to our new boat, and there are many similarities to be sure. (I would have taken a hard look at that boat if it were for sale!) I think the hull designs are quite different. The 403 was designed by Jaques Faroux, where as the 39i is a Marc Lombard design.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #19 of 23 Old 08-20-2018

I defer to your knowledge of the differences between a 39i and a 403, except to wish that you have as good an experience with the 39i as we did with the 403.

Docking when you tie to port but the controls are by the starboard wheel: someone in your family who stands at the gate on the port side needs to learn only five words: slower, closer, TOO CLOSE, STOP!
post #20 of 23 Old 08-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
..... so it is actually a supply fan not an exhaust fan.
This would be unusual. If you provide positive pressure to the engine compartment, all the odors or potential exhaust leaks will be forced out into the cabin. With an exhaust fan, air is still drawn into the engine compartment via the bilge, both for cooling and combustion.

p.s. Congrats on the new boat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in