Fraser 50 pilothouse help - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Fraser 50 pilothouse help

I guess the person who put the winches on that fraser were not that concerned about it if they considered them adequate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 09-08-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Davis View Post
I guess the person who put the winches on that fraser were not that concerned about it if they considered them adequate.
No, I would guess that the person who put them on thought that they did not want to spend the extra$4,000 that it would cost to buy the proper sized winches and/or didn't know better. Or they found a pair of 48's on eBay and thought "Gee, How bad could they be?"

And that would lead to the next question,"What other important corners were cut to save a few bucks.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #13 of 19 Old 09-08-2018

There’s a bruckmann 50 for sale. Given the cost to fix up the Frazier it would be the same money and you would get significant return on investment when you ever put it up for sale. So cost of ownership would be roughly the same. It has already deprecated. Also you would be safe and comfortable.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 19 Old 09-08-2018
Senior Moment Member

Fraser's were very well moulded by the De Kleer brothers and they were pretty good performers in their day. One of the brothers won the Vic/Maui race in his personal 41 - a very similar design to the 51. Lots of them - the 30', the Endurance 35 and the 41/42 (same hull, different decks) have been cruised worldwide - I've seen them for sale all over the world.

AFAIK they didn't do any finish work (other than their personal boats) but many were professionally finished from the bare mouldings.

That said, Jeff is right - the finish quality is all over the map on Fraser hulls so each one has to be taken on its own merits. That one looks like the initial build was fairly skilled amateur to my eye but it also looks like water has been over the floorboards - look at the waterline beside the transmission and the wet sole in the aft cabin.

Anyone who needs advice about taking on a project like that 51 would be well advised to not even consider it - it is almost certain to become another unfinished estate sale some years from now.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 09-08-2018 at 12:09 PM.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-08-2018

Was part of a project to build Peter Ibold pilot house in Wareham Massachusetts. Unfortunately builder died. Beautiful design. Search Belliure if you want to look at his work. There are multiple well thought out and executed pilot houses if that’s your desire. The frazers are in effect one offs. There are amazing one offs that hold their value but unlike semi custom and production boats resale its a crapshoot. Owner completed is generally a negative. View this offering as going down a rabbit hole. Move on.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
Brandon Davis (09-08-2018)
post #16 of 19 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
There’s a bruckmann 50 for sale. Given the cost to fix up the Frazier it would be the same money and you would get significant return on investment when you ever put it up for sale. So cost of ownership would be roughly the same. It has already deprecated. Also you would be safe and comfortable.

Got a link for the one youre referring to? Just curious to take a peek.

Your opinion about the owner completed boat is basically the same thought process I originally had when looking at the Fraser, but I couldnt find any information online about them so I came here to be sure my hunch was correct. I do really like the pilothouse style though. It seems like something I would expect to see more of, but then again I have never actually been in a pilothouse, so maybe theres something missing there.

Thanks

Last edited by Brandon Davis; 09-08-2018 at 12:40 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
No, I would guess that the person who put them on thought that they did not want to spend the extra$4,000 that it would cost to buy the proper sized winches and/or didn't know better. Or they found a pair of 48's on eBay and thought "Gee, How bad could they be?"

And that would lead to the next question,"What other important corners were cut to save a few bucks.

Jeff
It still comes back to the context of the original thought here though, that in their opinion the winches at one point were considered "good enough". Semantics aside, Im not going to be buying that fraser so it wont matter
post #18 of 19 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Fraser's were very well moulded by the De Kleer brothers and they were pretty good performers in their day. One of the brothers won the Vic/Maui race in his personal 41 - a very similar design to the 51. Lots of them - the 30', the Endurance 35 and the 41/42 (same hull, different decks) have been cruised worldwide - I've seen them for sale all over the world.

AFAIK they didn't do any finish work (other than their personal boats) but many were professionally finished from the bare mouldings.

That said, Jeff is right - the finish quality is all over the map on Fraser hulls so each one has to be taken on its own merits. That one looks like the initial build was fairly skilled amateur to my eye but it also looks like water has been over the floorboards - look at the waterline beside the transmission and the wet sole in the aft cabin.

Anyone who needs advice about taking on a project like that 51 would be well advised to not even consider it - it is almost certain to become another unfinished estate sale some years from now.
Not here for advice at this point, so much as I was for information about the Frasers since I couldnt find anything online about them. The act of refit and rebuild would not be something difficult for me with the background I have. I'm not trying to start off with something that will never be salvageable though. I don't really like the idea of a owner finished one off boat, because like Jeff said, who knows what corners were cut or simply mistakes were made. I was hopeful for that boat, but I will not be following through. If it were less likely to be an amateur build I might consider looking deeper.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-08-2018

Itís on yactworld just google.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in