Anyone near Onekama, MI to look at a Hunter 18? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 11-02-2018
1968 Columbia 50

Re: Anyone near Onekama, MI to look at a Hunter 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I can relate to that story in the link. We bounced off the bottom leaving Arcadia (in maybe 3' swells) in August. We were heading to Portage Lake. We called ahead to a place in Lake Portage, and were told the channel had been recently dredged. No doubt due to this incident. Michigan had a reputation for really taking care of their harbors. Times change.
It is really quite sad, but the Michigan DEQ has seen budget cuts, like every other department in Michigan. Small, lightly used harbors don't get much attention as the demand to keep them open is lower than a busier harbor. A couple of years ago, the Leland harbor entrance on Big Traverse Bay was so bad you could at one point walk on dry sand across the entrance, it was essentially closed. It did not help water levels were very low at the time. They did their own fundraising and raised enough funds to buy their own dredger and dredged it themselves. Now they offer the dredger for rent to other harbors and marinas..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 11-02-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I can relate to that story in the link. We bounced off the bottom leaving Arcadia (in maybe 3' swells) in August. We were heading to Portage Lake. We called ahead to a place in Lake Portage, and were told the channel had been recently dredged. No doubt due to this incident. Michigan had a reputation for really taking care of their harbors. Times change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
It is really quite sad, but the Michigan DEQ has seen budget cuts, like every other department in Michigan. Small, lightly used harbors don't get much attention as the demand to keep them open is lower than a busier harbor. A couple of years ago, the Leland harbor entrance on Big Traverse Bay was so bad you could at one point walk on dry sand across the entrance, it was essentially closed. It did not help water levels were very low at the time. They did their own fundraising and raised enough funds to buy their own dredger and dredged it themselves. Now they offer the dredger for rent to other harbors and marinas..
Iím not sure if my charts are the latest, but for Arcadia I see 7í from July of 2012, for Portage Point I see 7í from May of 2013.

Wow, if I drew 6í thatíd be a real nervous drive in.

I suppose if thereís no commercial traffic thereís not much impetuous for the government to dredge things.

In other news, I just realized that Michigan is in Eastern time so Iíll lose an hour. Thatís one less hour of sleep tonightÖ Tomorrow is going to suck, but Sunday and Monday will be nice. A leisurely drive up 31 through Petoskey and over the Mackinac Bridge, then down through the UP and northern Wisconsin. Of course itíll be raining the whole time. Oh well.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #13 of 21 Old 11-03-2018
1968 Columbia 50

You will lose an hour driving to Michigan, yes, but we give it back to you as a good will gesture when you head home. In fact I will throw in an extra hour overnight due to daylight savings time change tonite..

I hope that the channel is deeper than that. Portage Point has plans to expand their marina to a full service facility, they will need better than 7' to have that. Personally I plan on sailing up there in the future to pick up my daughter from camp, and then to keep cruising with her for another week or so...I draw 6'6..so there is that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SV Siren; 11-03-2018 at 09:16 AM.

post #14 of 21 Old 11-05-2018
1968 Columbia 50

So MinneÖ.How did things go???

post #15 of 21 Old 11-06-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
You will lose an hour driving to Michigan, yes, but we give it back to you as a good will gesture when you head home. In fact I will throw in an extra hour overnight due to daylight savings time change tonite..

I hope that the channel is deeper than that. Portage Point has plans to expand their marina to a full service facility, they will need better than 7' to have that. Personally I plan on sailing up there in the future to pick up my daughter from camp, and then to keep cruising with her for another week or so...I draw 6'6..so there is that.
It was extremely off-season. I think only two or three rooms at the resort were occupied Saturday night. The resort is really nice, I would definitely go back. Apparently itís a sister hotel to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. There is an abandoned portion of the hotel that they say is haunted. The bar was open with a limited menu, and it was mostly locals.

As it turned out, I sat next a dredging barge operator! He had worked on the channel. Itís newly dredged, last summer I think he said. You shouldnít have any trouble getting in.

It seemed everybody in Onekama knew the story of the sinking of the Barracuda in 2007. Apparently the boat was pulled off, then tried to enter the channel a second time and ran aground again. The wave action broke the keel off the boat and it went down. The dredging operator said his grandfather watched the mast swing side to side, and finally go over. He even had a picture on his phone of the little tug that pulled the boat off the first time.

And sitting on the other side of me was a woman who had a 100 ton masters license and ran a tall ship in the Caribbean. It was a pretty interesting group.

There was a high wind warning on the Mackinac Bridge and the electronic billboard said vehicles with trailers were limited to 20mph, so I just crawled over the bridge and it was fine.

The drive through the UP was nice and scenic. I was completely baffled by the 20-pound sacks of sugar beets and carrots for sale at all the gas stations. It turns out theyíre for hunters, to bait the deer.

1400 mile round trip, 135 gallons of gas, and entire seasons of Serial, Criminal, A Very Fatal Murder, and other podcasts later Iím back in Minneapolis. Whirlwind weekend.
Arcb likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #16 of 21 Old 11-07-2018
1968 Columbia 50

Minne,

It sounds like a successful trip. I'm glad it went so well. Northern Michigan is just amazing that's for certain. Onekema is a small town that is quite tight, and long on memory. If you like Onekema, you would also like Charlevoix, a bit bigger with many very large vacation mansions, but a nice downtown, and some really good restaurants, a great marina and mooring field with a nice dinghy dock right downtown as well.
Minnesail likes this.

post #17 of 21 Old 11-07-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
If you like Onekema, you would also like Charlevoix, a bit bigger with many very large vacation mansions, but a nice downtown, and some really good restaurants, a great marina and mooring field with a nice dinghy dock right downtown as well.
When I drove through Charlevoix on Sunday there was a race. Looked like small keelboats. The wind was about 20 knots and it was only about 40ļF.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Last edited by Minnesail; 11-07-2018 at 02:05 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 11-07-2018

Just read your thread and have a few thoughts on it. Glad it was a successful trip and you are home safe. Doesn't hurt they they finally added all of those passing lanes on US2. It used to be a pain going across there in any traffic.

They sail those races in Chalevoix until ice makes it impossible. Hearty souls those guys and girls.

Portage Inn is a great location and hopefully they can continue to be successful. However, although they are almost as old as the Grand, they were not sister hotels. Lots of history,and started with some of the same clients in mind, but not related.

As to the dredging, or lack of it, that caused the sinking after the Mac. That day was a true B on the big lakes. The DEQ gets a lot of the fault for lack of dredging, but it is Federal funding that does not come through that stops dredging in certain years. Dysfunctional Washington moves the money somewhere. Good case in point is Leland. After funding somewhere above $4 Million to rebuild the marina in Leland, which is a harbor of refuge, two years later they did not fund the annual dredging of the entry. An ongoing issue. Leland needs the harbor for their businesses so they bought their own dredge a couple of years ago. Sure enough, the Feds funded dredging by their contractors. Now Leland has an expensive fall back dredge...funded with local dollars.
Minnesail likes this.
post #19 of 21 Old 11-13-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post
Portage Inn is a great location and hopefully they can continue to be successful. However, although they are almost as old as the Grand, they were not sister hotels. Lots of history,and started with some of the same clients in mind, but not related.
Ah well, I was just repeating what I heard at the bar. I should know better!

I hope to get back to the area, either by car or boat. Looks like some fun sailing around there. I wonder if there are any good bareboat charters.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #20 of 21 Old 11-13-2018

Like your picture of boat and bridge. Great Lakes Sailing in Traverse City is your best bet for bareboat in the north. Long way to Onekema, but Leland, Charlevox, Petoskey, Beaver, and Mackinac are easily within reach.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in