Anyone near Onekama, MI to look at a Hunter 18? - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-27-2018 Thread Starter

Anyone near Onekama, MI to look at a Hunter 18?

Hi,

Our club is looking at a 2012 Hunter 18 in Onekama, MI. The pictures make it look super clean and we've settled on a price, pending inspection.

However, it's an 11-hour drive to get there. I'd really hate to make that drive only to find some super obvious deal breaker.

I don't suppose there's anyone here in that area who'd be willing to give it a quick look over? I could reward you with free sailing club swag, a t-shirt or something!

I know it's along shot, a pretty out-of-the-way area.

Thanks in advance,
Len

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-29-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Anyone near Onekama, MI to look at a Hunter 18?

Well, I volunteered to make the drive.

I'll be going 1400 miles total to pick up a 2012 Hunter 18. Yikes.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #3 of 21 Old 10-29-2018

Watch your speed coming back with those little tires. Same ones I have on my Prindle trailer. Bought new rubber last February and the tread seperated from the tire on I95 in March at about 110 kph (I guess about 70 mph). And that Hunter is a lot heavier than my Prindle.

post #4 of 21 Old 10-29-2018 Thread Starter

Yikes, that must have been a little scary! Thanks for the warning.

I'm always nervous when pulling a trailer. I won't be doing too much interstate highway on the way back. Instead of going south around Lake Michigan through Chicago (which is faster), I'm going to go north over the Mackinac Bridge and the through the upper peninsula of Michigan.

I think the Hunter weighs about 850, so depending on how heavy the trailer is I should be around 1200-1300 pounds. That's not bad. I imagine I'll barely feel it behind the Silverado 2500HD.

This Hunter looks like a fun little boat. I hope it works out that I can actually sail it before having to put it in winter storage.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #5 of 21 Old 10-30-2018
1968 Columbia 50

I wish you had posted this earlier, I was just up there and would have taken a look for you. My daughter goes to camp on the south side of the lake. If you do go, there is a real nice breakfast shop right downtown on the main road..there is very little else in that town to speak of.

Considering the for sale posting came up in August, and the boat was sitting indoors at the time, I would not hesitate to assume it has been stored indoors all the time, as that thing looks super clean, jeebus, it looks like new. The east end of the lake is really shallow, I would ask for pictures of the drop down keel, but otherwise I would not hesitate to buy this. I have had very little experience with Onekema Marine, but they always were really straight forward with me, and great to deal with.

For any lingering doubts, ask them to do a facetime audio/video call with you, hopefully cell service will be good enough to do that.
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #6 of 21 Old 10-30-2018 Thread Starter

No kidding about those pictures, right? It looks like a brand new boat. Itís a 2012, but it doesnít look like itís been used much. The broker reports that the guy owns four boats on Portage Lake, so Iím guessing he didnít play with this one.

A wrinkle now is that the owner has the title and is out of the country and wonít be back till December, so Onekama Marina says theyíll put the money in escrow until they can get us the title. Given their long history (and your opinion of them) I see no reason not to trust them.

In doing my due diligence I found this story where the owner Jim risks life and limb to save the crew of a 40í race boat. Iíve been dealing with a guy named Steve, Iím not sure if thatís a new owner or an employee:
THE SHALLOW ENTRANCE TO PORTAGE LAKE, MI IS AN UNKNOWN AND UNMARKED HAZZARD TO MARINERS

What was the name of that breakfast spot?

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 21 Old 10-31-2018
1968 Columbia 50

Minne,

I am going to go out on a limb and guess the owner is not a local either. There are a ton of vacation homes around Portage Lake, which is a beautiful lake, the Western end is quite deep and drops off to 40' in 100' from shore. Getting back home in December can be tricky, as the snow just piles fast and deep in no time from there all the way through the UP of Michigan. You might be needing to store the boat there over the winter.

I dealt with Carrie in the parts department, and one of the service guys as we were having engine troubles that we could not fix on a return trip from the Chi-Mac race. We got a slip at Portage Point Resort ( Portage Point Resort ), which is quite nice, we have stayed there a few times now. It might be a good place to spend the night if you have to for the pick-up, I believe they have their dining hall open now as well, but things get really slow in the winter up there, I mean really slow, as in not much is open.

The name of the breakfast place is the M22 Grill.(M22 Grill | Onekama, MI). It is where all the locals, and vacationers go, the price is right, and the food is really good.
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to SV Siren For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (10-31-2018)
post #8 of 21 Old 10-31-2018 Thread Starter

Yep, we have a condo booked at the Portage Point Resort for Saturday night. Most of the resort is closed down for the season, but the parts that are open are priced quite reasonably because it's off season. I hope their bar is open!

Looks like we'll definitely hit the M22 for breakfast Sunday morning.

I'm not sure which is harder to believe, that I volunteered to drive 1400 miles to pick up a little day sailor for a community club, or that I managed to convince my wife to come with me
RegisteredUser likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #9 of 21 Old 11-01-2018
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Yep, we have a condo booked at the Portage Point Resort for Saturday night. Most of the resort is closed down for the season, but the parts that are open are priced quite reasonably because it's off season. I hope their bar is open!

Looks like we'll definitely hit the M22 for breakfast Sunday morning.

I'm not sure which is harder to believe, that I volunteered to drive 1400 miles to pick up a little day sailor for a community club, or that I managed to convince my wife to come with me
Cool beans. So it sounds like you are going this weekend. I can't believe you talked the wife into going, but good for her. The drive along 31 to Onekema is beautiful. There are some beautiful small towns and harbors up there, Charlevoix and Petoskey are right on 31, but there are a few just off the beaten path, but with that many miles to put on, you might not wish to make it a 4 day trip. LOL

Safe travels...snow is predicted in the forecast....what fun....not really.

post #10 of 21 Old 11-01-2018
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
No kidding about those pictures, right? It looks like a brand new boat. It’s a 2012, but it doesn’t look like it’s been used much. The broker reports that the guy owns four boats on Portage Lake, so I’m guessing he didn’t play with this one.

A wrinkle now is that the owner has the title and is out of the country and won’t be back till December, so Onekama Marina says they’ll put the money in escrow until they can get us the title. Given their long history (and your opinion of them) I see no reason not to trust them.

In doing my due diligence I found this story where the owner Jim risks life and limb to save the crew of a 40’ race boat. I’ve been dealing with a guy named Steve, I’m not sure if that’s a new owner or an employee:
THE SHALLOW ENTRANCE TO PORTAGE LAKE, MI IS AN UNKNOWN AND UNMARKED HAZZARD TO MARINERS

What was the name of that breakfast spot?
I can relate to that story in the link. We bounced off the bottom leaving Arcadia (in maybe 3' swells) in August. We were heading to Portage Lake. We called ahead to a place in Lake Portage, and were told the channel had been recently dredged. No doubt due to this incident. Michigan had a reputation for really taking care of their harbors. Times change.

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in