Hunter 23 Purchase tips - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-10-2018 Thread Starter

Hunter 23 Purchase tips

Hello All. New to this site and to sailing. Been around power boats my entire life but never sailboats. Planning on taking a combo ASA101/103 class summer 2019 and have been looking for a starter boat to learn with. I've found a 1988 Hunter 23 that looks to be very clean and well-maintained. Any tips on what to look for/inspect when I go to see it? Halyards are new, interior looks clean, bottom has recently been painted, teak refinished and the motor is in good shape. Any advice on what I should additionally check on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-11-2018
Barquito

Re: Hunter 23 Purchase tips

Welcome to Sailnet!

If possible, I would join a sailing club with access to multiple boats, rather than buying one the first year. The learning curve is steep at first. It is so much easier to do on other people's boats!

Otherwise, check this thread. If you decide to go ahead with the purchase, make a contingency on inspection.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-...trip-tips.html

Valiant 32
post #3 of 7 Old 11-11-2018

A sailing club is a great idea, if there's a good one in your area.

I got a Catalina 22 (similar in size to the Hunter 23) and it was (and still is) a great first boat. It's big enough to give you that big boat stability and feel, but small enough that it's easy to push around by hand any mistakes you make won't be too expensive. And it's big enough to camp overnight in if you like.

Check to make sure everything is there. Boat bits add up fast, so if you hear "all it needs are new sails and some new lines" be wary. Even for a boat that size, new sails could be $2000.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #4 of 7 Old 11-11-2018 Thread Starter

Great advice, thanks to you both! The cost of the boat and trailer (around $2500) is what makes this an attractive option to me. Seller indicates sails are in good condition, and from the photos the boat is very clean and in good shape. New halyards, bottom freshly painted and all teak has been Cetol coated in the last year. It's also located fairly close to me so transporting isn't a big issue. I also have free access to a slip which is another motivator for purchase vs rental/club. Just looking for anything I should be checking in terms of hull integrity etc when I go have a look at it. Thanks again for your help!
post #5 of 7 Old 11-12-2018
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmeg1012 View Post
Great advice, thanks to you both! The cost of the boat and trailer (around $2500) is what makes this an attractive option to me. Seller indicates sails are in good condition, and from the photos the boat is very clean and in A freigood shape. New halyards, bottom freshly painted and all teak has been Cetol coated in the last year. It's also located fairly close to me so transporting isn't a big issue. I also have free access to a slip which is another motivator for purchase vs rental/club. Just looking for anything I should be checking in terms of hull integrity etc when I go have a look at it. Thanks again for your help!
A friend has one at my club, check the rudder gudgeons. His lower one was prone to leaking, water should stay on the outside of the boat. Also, get a quote on new sails, Good condition could still be blown out. Nothing like sailing with new sails. Welcome to the asylum.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2018
cdy

I believe the 1988 model is fractionally rigged and has a wing keel - they sail pretty well - maybe a little tender but built pretty sturdy - much more so than the bit newer ones with water ballast - boat gets most of its power from the mainsail - for learning purposes thats probably a good thing. Should be a good first boat - used sails if needed would be pretty easy to come by at a used sail broker store - they made a lot of them - you will always find a number of them for sale in Florida - normally in the $2k - $4K range - the only issue I have heard is that its tough to drop the mast - angle of deck when its is close to be lowered all the way - so if you are putting the mast up and down - you will need some help - a Catalina 22 is much easier for that.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2018

$2500? DO IT!

The worst that can happen is that you'll spend a little time and money and discover you don't like it. Then you can sell it for $2500 and carry on.

I don't know about raising the mast on that boat. If it's not hinged at the mast step then it could be a b*tch. But it sounds like you'll have a slip, so you'll only be raising it once a season.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in