36' Sabre CB - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 12-07-2018 Thread Starter

36' Sabre CB

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/sabre-36-3230456/

I plan I seeing this boat tomorrow.

What is the deal with centerboards?

The dealer is going to check if the pivot pin was replaced at the same time as the pennant.

Do they make noise underway?

I have heard that the Sabre has a cored hull above the waterline.

I have heard that their construction is not as good as their reputation would assume.

It is supposed to be a mediocre performer and relies on a large jib which Jeff has taught me makes it a lot more work to sail.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-07-2018

Re: 36' Sabre CB

What, no leaks or water stains? Sorry couldn't resist.

I like Sabres. There was one of these in our club, though the deep keel version. Nice boat. Rating is 129, so reasonably fast.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Last edited by JimsCAL; 12-07-2018 at 06:02 PM.
post #3 of 36 Old 12-07-2018

Check cost for new standing rigging.
Probably a nice boat...maybe a picky owner.

post #4 of 36 Old 12-07-2018

I have a Centerboard on my 34'. Under normal circumstances you probably wouldn't hear a thing. I've had mine make some noise running in a following sea ( 10' +) with the board up, when a rogue wave comes along and rolls you around a little. Nothing to worry about really. Beating with the board down, you shouldn't hear anything.

The benefits of the centerboard far outweigh the downside for me , here on the east coast. I'm underway when many are waiting for mid-tide. And I get in to places many can't

I've had my cabinetry completely apart and put back together, I thought the fit and finish could have been better considering the reputation that Sabre has. But, I still love the way she sails and handles.

One example: I didn't like that fact that they screwed the interior and exterior handrails into the core! I would have rather seen them bolted through. I pulled the topside handrails, removed the core around the holes, filled the holes and reinstalled.

This boat has the same engine as mine a W-27.

My boat's been up and down the East Coast and to Bermuda. I'm sure the 36 will take you anywhere you want to go along the east coast, and may surprise you offshore.

With Regard to the "Relies on a Large Jib" comment. I'm not sure what that means. My Boat came with a 150% Genoa on a furler, which was very often over-powered. I soon after replaced it with a 135 and it couldn't be easier to handle. Much of the time, if I have guests onboard, it's the only sail I'll deploy with only a few degrees loss in windward performance. Both my current Sabre, and my Previous Bristol tended to take a reef early, but once reefed and properly balanced would track very nicely.

I think the owner is asking top dollar for this boat. if I were in the market today and both vessels were well maintained, I'd jump all over that O'day 35 I posted earlier and leave the other $51,000 in the bank. Or use some of it to do whatever upgrades you wanted on the 35. I've sailed on an O'day 35, and find them to be quite satisfactory.

I wouldn't mind trading my Sabre 34 up for a nice Sabre 362 though. They have a full shower aft! ;-)
RegisteredUser likes this.

Last edited by tempest; 12-07-2018 at 09:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tempest For This Useful Post:
davidpm (12-07-2018)
post #5 of 36 Old 12-07-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
What, no leaks or water stains? Sorry couldn't resist.

Thanks, buddy.

Wait until I see it.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #6 of 36 Old 12-08-2018

Good luck, it has promise. I will often ask the seller/broker to tell me the most obvious blemish or flaw that I'm going to see when I arrive. It's a clear test of their integrity and the integrity of the listing.

All things being equal, I don't prefer a centerboard, swing, etc, keel, unless one's cruising grounds truly demand it. One more thing to maintain and worry about. I have a 6.5ft fixed keel now and really don't feel limited in New England at all. However, I wouldn't rule out the right hull, just because it had one. I would, however, want it fully inspected and maintained.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
davidpm (12-08-2018)
post #7 of 36 Old 12-08-2018

I have a close friend with this boat, fixed keel version. He's got 2 jibs, a big genoa and I think the other one is 110 or so. Younger, he'd use the 110 early and late season, and put the big genoa on for the mid summer doldrums which is typical of sort of Boston north shore sailing (not down here where mid summer we get 15-25 SW afternoons reliably). Now, "older" he just puts the 110 on for the season.
davidpm likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
davidpm (12-08-2018)
post #8 of 36 Old 12-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/sabre-36-3230456/

I plan I seeing this boat tomorrow.

What is the deal with centerboards?

The dealer is going to check if the pivot pin was replaced at the same time as the pennant.

Do they make noise underway?

I have heard that the Sabre has a cored hull above the waterline.

I have heard that their construction is not as good as their reputation would assume.

It is supposed to be a mediocre performer and relies on a large jib which Jeff has taught me makes it a lot more work to sail.
The broker’s description indicated a fin keel. Unless I missed something, this does not appear to be a centerboard boat. If it is a CB boat and has been properly maintained, there is little basis for anxiety, but you should verify the condition of pin and pennant as part of the survey.

Regarding the Sabre 36 construction, we chartered one in the Virgin Islands in 1998 and dealt with some snotty conditions. We did not have any concern for boat construction, but did fault the charter company for blown out sails (whoever heard of a main without battens?)

BTW, I’ve had CB boats for 25 yrs and my current swing keel boat for the past 22 years. The CB boats (a day sailer and a 2500# displacement catboat) did experience some CB wiggle in sloppy seas, but there was never a problem. Our current boat has a ~3000# swing keel and rarely makes a sound—you have to be in really sloppy conditions to sense theres a moveable structure down there.

Our 1990 vintage sailboat has balsa-cored hull and deck and we’ve had absolutely no problems. In fact, balsa-cored hulls are much stiffer (no oil-canning) that solid FG and are usually the mark of a higher quality builder.

One last comment: We’ve sailed out of Mystic since 1971 from a shallow water dock (which is the primary reason we acquired CB/swing keel boats), but we have found shallow draft is a real convenience in southern NE waters. The transient anchorages in the Mystic River, for example, are not very accommodating for 6’ draft—better if you have <4’. The fairway through the Noank anchorage has a controlling depth of about 4’ and can save you some time if you are coming from/going to the East. Likewise, shallow draft can substantially shorten your path to the Watch Hill/ Napatree anchorage. Harbors, like BI salt pond, inner Cuttyhunk harbor, and even Provincetown, are bigger if you can deal with skinny water. The entrance to Lake Tashmoo, too, is less worrysome if you draw less than 6’. We have found ourselves in about 4’ of water in the anchorage at Nantucket on several trips there. We draw 6’ with the keel down—which is our normal sailing configuration—but can retract our “landing gear” (including swing rudder) to draw about 2’. We once were towed into Cuttyhunk (raw water pump issue) and the ONLY place to park in the inner harbor, with the NY Yacht Club cruise in town, was a slip at the Town dock with 3’ at MLW. Being able to reduce our draft is reassuring when we are in unfamiliar waters and the bottom is coming up. During our delivery trip from FL many years ago, we touched bottom several times where we expected more depth, based on the charts.
capecodda and tempest like this.
post #9 of 36 Old 12-09-2018

^^better description of the advantages of draft that I've ever presented here. Worth thinking about in my neighborhood at least.
post #10 of 36 Old 12-09-2018
Learning the HARD way...

I looked at the pictures and description on YW. I like Sabres and think that they are a well thought out and well built boat.

My biggest issue with this boat would be the lack of a swim platform. The O'day 35 has one.

My second biggest issue with this boat is the broker's description;
Quote:
Recent Furuno Radar/GPS

Data marine speed/log A181

Data marine depthmeter A181

Data marine apparent wind direction and speed

Data marine Loran/CDX

VHF radio
ALL of the electronics on this boat are OBSOLETE/ANCIENT (CRT Radar is obsolete - and that Loran unit probably won't be too useful either.)

If the hull is sound, and the rigging (also described as "recent") are in good shape, that is what you are buying. Any offer should take the ancient artifacts out of the equation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in